1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by raldridge, 2014/04/29.

1. 2014/04/29
    raldridge

raldridge Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi
    My name is Robert Aldridge and I have been a member of this forum for years
    but have not used it for over 12 months so my account was inactivated. You
    have sent me birthday greetings on my birthday every year on March 16, even
    last March when I had not used the forum since January 2013.
    After all one only uses forums like this one when one is having problems with
    any Microsoft software.
    I have Windows 7 64bit with Office 2010 on a desktop PC. I do not own any new
    devices such as a cell phone or an ipad. All my Internet use is by my desktop PC. I am 71 years old as of March this year. And I live alone in a place called Glenorchy about 6 miles north of the CBD of our capital city Hobart.
    in the island state of Australia called Tasmania. We are currently in standard time zone which is 10 hours ahead of GMT and we do have daylight saving time
    between the first Sunday in October to the first Sunday in April each year.

2. 2014/04/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi raldridge, Welcome back to the Forum. Your System shows you operate an XP comp. I've just finished building a new unit for the wife (Mothers Day) to bring her up to W8.1.
    I'm busy loading Software she uses and will have to secretly move her Files/Photos/Games to this new unit.
    It's going to be quite a jump for her as she has been happy with XP for all of it's life. But i'm looking forward to how fast she will find this new comp (Quad core/8GB's RAM/). Nice to have you onboard. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/04/29
    raldridge

raldridge Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi Neil,
    Yes I have heard of many people who did not want to give W XP away they just love it.
    What a pity Windows has to bring out new versions every few years, I think it is a money
    making exercise.

5. 2014/04/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It does make money - but the Technology is being developed daily. With feedback about problems driving improvements as a constant.
    I worked for GMNZ and was up at the coalface with new motoring technology. My mind was blown when I viewed a VHS tape that was produced in the States in 1978 that showed Technology that was/being developed at that time.

All the stuff we accept today:
    ABS, ESC, Air bags, HUD (heads up display) Aerodynamic body spoilers which automatically adjusted to road speed, SatNav, Auto Headlights etc., built in child safety seats (which came out on button press), Sensors for collision prevention, Hands free cell phones through on board computer, Digital wiring systems, Fuel injection and EC Trans.
    You name it - it was all going to be introduced in about 5 yearly periods. The cost to put all the technology in the market at once, would make the Automobile too expensive for the average car owner.
    But we have nearly all that in cars today.

Back in '81 the first cell phone was the Motorola "Brick ". I own a Panasonic GD55 cellphone which measures 3" x 1 5/8 "!!! It's hard to keep up at times but you get left behind if you don't try. Neil.

6. 2014/04/30
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

How many people do you know have a 13 year old TV?
    13 year old mobile?
    13 year old computer?

So why keep a 13 year old OS?

How may people where still using Windows 3.1 in 2003? (13 years after it's release).

Technology moves... it moves much slower as it used to. You could have moved to Windows 7 in 2009, and you'll be good to go till 2020 (Microsoft Support Lifecycle)