1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Internet Connection problem

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by Ishmael, 2016/10/01.

1. 2016/10/01
    Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I recently connected a new build PC (using Win7) to my existing router. It connected directly without requiring a username or password. I now get messages for Firefox that the connection is not configured properly .
    I the found that I cannot accesss the router as before through the 192.168.0.1 route. Firefox saying again the router not configured correctly.
    Tried Explorer and got as far as the input dialogue box - no further.
    I will do a factory reset unles i find a fix.

2. 2016/10/01
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If you connected it via Ethernet cable, that is normal.

If your computer did work and now doesn't, then I don't think a factory reset is needed. Make sure you are using the right IP. I think most use 192.168.1.1 to access the router's admin menu.

Not sure what you mean by input dialog box. Do you mean for the router's admin menu? And then what?

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/10/01
    Ishmael

I add the following information. My ISP is Eircom. I use Firefox.
    The Internet is apparently working OK, but I get occasional messages that it's not secure.
    When I input 192.168.0.1 it doesn't connect and I get a Firefox message saying: "Your connection is not secure ". It used to, but no longer calls up the admin menu, but neither the username or password was accepted.
    The basic network information box says " Currently connected to Vodafone Ireland (Realtex PCIe GBE,IE. ") Note my ISP!
    I seems to me like Realtek grabbed the connection and closed the regular access. Should I disable it and start again?

5. 2016/10/01
    Bill

Is that the only computer on your network? Do other computers work fine?

You might try resetting your entire network. Unplug the power to the network equipment from the wall. Shutdown your computer and unplug that from the wall too. If modem and router are separate, plug in modem and wait for lights to settle down. Then router and wait for those lights. Then plug in and boot your computer.

Bill,
  6. 2016/10/20
    Ishmael

After unsuccessfully trying many possible fixes I eventally re-set the modem to the as received state and reinstalled it. Now all is well. Should have done that on day one, it was easy as I had kept a record of the setup info.
    Many thanks for all the sggestions.

7. 2016/10/21
    Bill

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for posting your solution.

Bill,