1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Intermittent video

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by derfsch, 2016/01/27.

1. 2016/01/27
    derfsch

derfsch Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi All, ............. My Windows 8.1 Lenovo desktop computer has a problem where a video will stop and then resume with (apparently) no loss in content. The stoppage is accompanied by the spinning circle in the background. This does not happen with all videos but recently it seems to be happening more frequently. My experience with Lenovo support has not been The best and I'm at a loss as how to solve this problem. Any suggested help?

2. 2016/01/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Assuming that you are streaming the video directly from the internet this sounds like a buffering problem - the data is not being downloaded quickly enough from the server.

This can be confirmed by opening Task Manager and selecting Performance > Ethernet (Windows 10 - assume 8 has the same option) and checking that there is download activity when the spinning circle is visible.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/01/27
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Guessing you're talking about On Line Videos?

A lack of bandwidth on your end and or a lot of traffic on the server where the video is are two culprits.

It'd be interesting if you tried a "problem" video at different times of the day.

5. 2016/01/27
    derfsch

Pete, Steve, My apologies, I could not duplicate the stuttering problem using the very same video that preceded my first post. Since previously I have experienced this annoyance, I'm sure it will re-occur.

Although I'm not familiar with the use of Task Manager, there was movement of the vertical indicator from right to left when the video played. My immediate future work involves the use of videos so I would ask that this post be kept open for another week to provide further opportunities to experience my problem. Thank you both for your support.

6. 2016/01/27
    Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

You can test your ISP connection speed using speed test. Nothing to install. I have never downloaded anything from that web site because they sometimes try to push tools that I would not want loaded onto my PC, Just go to speedtest.net and begin test, let the test run and note your download speed. Do this real early in the morning or in the middle of the night, then run it again during the day when your streaming videos get choppy.

The fastest speed that is available in my remote area is (up to 3Mbps). In the middle of the night I can get download speeds as high as 2.51 Mbps. Late afternoon, my download speed may drop as low as 0.97 Mbps. At the lower connection speed, streaming video gets so choppy that it is a waste of time even attempting it.

Gordon

Last edited: 2016/01/27
  7. 2016/01/27
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Gordon, http://www.speedtest.net/?test-3 records in Mbps (megabytes per second) your Download speed and your Upload speeds and Ping duration (in Milliseconds) from your nearest ISP.
    Where did you record it in GB's?
    Mine is currently indicating 15Mbps D/L and 5Mbps U/L with 285 MS for PING. and it's late morning here in NZ. Neil.

8. 2016/01/27
    Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

retiredlearner, you are correct, my error. Thank you for correcting me.

Please change all my speed references above from GB to Mbps.
    Is there a way to edit a reply so I can correct the above post?

Gordon

9. 2016/01/27
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

That is a common problem with cable and not DSL from a local TELCO. To many people on the same leg at the same time. Late at night most are sleeping and you will get the best results.

10. 2016/01/27
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi derfsch, I would also make sure that Graphics drivers and any Adobe drivers (Flash) are up to date as a way of elimination. If no improvement, then your Internet will be the problem as Pete and Steve have suggested. Neil.

11. 2016/02/03
    derfsch

Hi All, Apparently my video problem required an updated Driver; the problem is now gone. Once all the drivers were brought up to date, the intermittent
    video disappeared. My thanks to all of you who took time to provide helpful replies.

12. 2016/02/03
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Glad you got it fixed. Please mark this thread as RESOLVED.