1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Installshield Error, Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gemo, 2006/12/29.

1. 2006/12/29
    Gemo

Gemo Inactive Thread Starter

I am having a major problem trying to install some s/w (Sansa MediaConverter) on my P4, Win XP SP2 PC.

Just as the s/w begins to install I get a fatal error - (something like) "Unable to create a file that already exists ... C:\Progam Files\Common Files\Installshield\engine\6\Intel 32\iuser.dll "

Since I was able to install the s/w on a friend's similar PC I think the problem is a compatability or bug with the Installshield appln on my machine.

I followed some suggestions (from the Installshield support site) and cleaned up my temp file, deleted the 'Engine 6' folder and reinstalled the Installshield 'ikernal.exe' but this hasn't helped.

Surprisingly when I tried to reinstall the 'ikernal' it also runs into exactly the same error! - so there is some issue with how the Installshield (Engine 6) is working on my PC.

Will be very appreciative for any ideas and advice on how to resolve this.

Many thanks.

P.S. I have had no other problems installing and running programs on this PC!

Gemo,
  2. 2006/12/29
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

If you use Windows Explorer, does this file actually exist?

C:\Progam Files\Common Files\Installshield\engine\6\Intel 32\iuser.dll

When you say you removed Engine 6, did you in fact remove the folder 'engine' or did you remove just '6'?

For ikernel, remove the folder 'engine' and retry the ikernel install.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/12/29
    Gemo

Thanks for the comments.

Yes iuser.dll does exist in that folder and I have tried renaming it (to isuer.dll.ORG) and rerunning the SMC install but I get the same error.

I'll try deleting the different folders and see if that helps... and let you know.

Happy New Year.

Gemo,
  5. 2006/12/29
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Just to be clear about the steps:

. Delete the folder 'engine' and all subfolders from the path above.
    . Reinstall ikernel for engine 6: http://support.installshield.com/kb/files/Q108322/IkernelUpdate.exe
    Do this from a saved file. Do not attempt to use the Run option during download.
    . Double click My Computer. Right-click Drive C, Properties. Click the disk cleanup button to the right of the pie chart. Be sure to select to clean all TEMP folder temporary files. (You might as well cleanup other items of your choice while you have the chance.) Checkmark to empty the Recycle Bin.

Reboot. Try the installation again.

6. 2006/12/30
    Gemo

---------------

Thanks Bill - carefully followed your instructions (also including doing a couple of registry cleans with Reg Mechanic) but no luck - same error/problem.

What puzzles me is that even when I install the ikernal.exe I get the same error, '...Unable to create a file when that file already exists, ie. iuser.dll...'

So there's some fundamental problem with the Installshield installation (that also similarily shows up when I try and install the SMC s/w).

I also tried deleting the engine folder and then trying to install SMC - but, guess what - same error (and FYI, the engine folders and file contents gets recreated).

Hope you have some more suggestions...

Many thansk for your help.

Gemo,
  7. 2006/12/30
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Just to be clear:

Turn off the computer.
    Restart and begin tapping the F8 function key. This should eventually bring up the Advanced Boot Menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking. Logon as Administrator.

Start, Run, cmd

del /s /q C:\Progam Files\Common Files\Installshield\engine

dir C:\Progam Files\Common Files\Installshield\engine\6\Intel 32\iuser.dll

Is the file now found? Hopefully it is not.

While still in safe mode, install the ikernal again.
    While still in safe mode, if the above worked, install your software.

8. 2006/12/30
    Gemo

OK Bill - followed your instructions but no luck - same (...iuser.dll...) error, whether I'm trying to re-install the ikernal or the SMC s/w.

When I booted into Safe Mode I couldn't log into the Administrator account (forgot my p/w) but my user account is set up with *full* Admin rights - so I used my normal account -- will this make a difference?

I'll see if I can figure out my Admin p/w or I may have to reset it using one of those utilities; if in fact I actually need to try installing the SMC s/w from the real Admin account (however when installing many other applns this has never been necessary!).

Gemo,
  9. 2006/12/30
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

I need you to do the deletion in Safe Mode as Administator, as you stated earlier that when deleting with Windows Explorer, the folder is immediately restored.

This is very curious and not normal behavior.

There should be no reason a complete removal of the folder 'engine' in the path: C:\Progam Files\Common Files\Installshield\engine should not be possible in Normal mode.

In most cases, there is no password on the Administrator account. Did you try just hitting Enter at the password prompt?

10. 2007/01/04
    Gemo

I'm back - haven't been able to log in as Administrator in Safe mode (can't figure out p/w and have tried everything including no p/w). A p/w re-setter I've used in the past isn't working - so I'm stuck with my user account which in any case has full admin rights and I hope it won't really stop the SMC appln from installing/working.

SMC installs and runs OK on another PC which is config'd almost identically to the one I'm having problems with and also has the user (not Administrator) account similarly set up with full admin rights.

Regarding deleting the Installshield engine\6 folder an files , I think you misunderstand me a bit. I *can* delete these folder/files OK and they *don't* restore themselves. My earlier comment on this was that the folder/files would be re-installed when I ran the Installshield ikernal.eve program or when I tried to install SMC (since logically these files are included and (re)written as part of the Installation routine) - which I imagine is all very normal - so I don't think there's any problems in this area.

I have asked Sandisk (publisher of the SMC program) for tech help but so far none of their basic suggestions have helped solve my problem.

Fundamentally there seems to be a compatibility problem between the SMC/Installshield (engine\6) installer and my machine. I come to this conclusion since even when I try to re-install the Installshield engine\6 (ikernal.exe updater) it craps out at exactly the same place and with the identical error msg (ie. an issue with re-creating iuser.exe) - no matter what I do.

Hopeful for some further advice and suggestions.

Gemo,
  11. 2007/01/04
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Since under XP SP2, I have two thoughts:

1. Restore default Permissions.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

Reboot and test. (The reboot is critical).

2. If no joy, the short method:
    (Ignore the IE7 aspects, the principle is the same)
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=22447

3. If still no joy, the long method:
    (Ignore the SP2 aspects, the principle is the same)
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=8125

This can take hours if you have a large drive.

4. If still no joy, return the device and use a different manufacturer.

Best regards.
    Bill

12. 2007/01/12
    anilgopu

anilgopu Inactive

Guys try to reduce the PATH Windows environment Viable to be less than 300 chars or less and hope ur issue will be fixed !!

13. 2007/01/16
    Gemo

Thanks for the ideas.

I've been traveling so haven't had a chance to work my way through your suggestions but I will do over the next few days.

Also regarding reducing the PATH Windows environment Viable to be less than 300 chars or less how would I do this? I am very familiar with the path name etc but other than making sure the install path etc is under 300 characters is there some Win 'Environmental' instruction I need to be setting...?

Will keep you posted on progress... Here's hoping...!