1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Installing Outlook 98/Active Setup

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by jthg, 2002/01/09.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/09
    jthg

jthg Guest Thread Starter

I am trying to install Outlook 98 (which is on CD) and it keeps failing on Windows XP.

At the "Preparing Setup" point the erro message of
    "
    Setup could not verify the information needed for installation.

Please make sure your system clock reflects the current time and try setup again.
    "

In this dialogue, there are two buttons: Help and OK. OK close the program and Help gives this information:
    "
    Setup tries to verify the contents of the Setup instruction file. This check can fail if the system clock on your computer is incorrect. To verify this, you should try to download other Authenticode-protected items from http://www.microsoft.com/. If you cannot download any secure items, such as ActiveXâ„¢ Controls or other downloadable files, then your computer's security system is not configured properly.

To work around the problem, you can rename Wintrust.dll in your Windows\System directory, but doing so will disable any security checking during Setup.
    "

What I have done:
    I have tried renaming Wintrust.dll and deleteing it - both times, I am unsuccessful - it is either in use or comes back as soon as I mess with it.

I have tried following the steps at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q277554 but, some steps are not correct in the context of XP - I wasn't able to find a registry key for example.

I have tried running setup in compatibility mode. I have changed the internet options security setting to low. Also, I have tried to twiddle with the settings in setup.inf a bit - to no avail. The files are now on my hardrive and having them local didn't help.

I am going crazy because it appears once Outlook is installed, it works: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q298279 -> a bug about Outlook 98 in Windows XP.

any help is much appreciated!

jthg,
  2. 2002/01/09
    eddie5659

eddie5659 Inactive

Hiya

You said this bit

Now, lets see if they're correct. Rightclick on your clock at the bottom of your screen and select Adjust Time/date. Is the date this year, etc? If not, that could be your problem. You can change the settings there.

Now, what files were you trying to download from Microsoft?

Regards

eddie

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/10
    jthg

Thanks for the reply!

yep, my system clock is perfect. And, I have tried changing it to 1999 to make sure it is not a delayed 2k bug.

And, I don't think I am downloading any files from Microsoft. I have a CD with Outlook 98 on it.

Any other suggestions?

Jacob

jthg,
  5. 2002/01/10
    jthg

workaround

well, I give up.

I am going to just install Outlook 2000 and battle the incompatibilities between my colleages.

jthg,
  6. 2002/01/11
    eddie5659

eddie5659 Inactive

Hiya

The reason I mentioned the downloading was for this:

Have you been to Microsofts Update site? Also, do you have any other mail programs set up on your system?

Regards

eddie

7. 2002/01/11
    jthg

yes, I have been to the microsoft update site. yes, I have downloaded everything there that I thought was applicable.

I have Outlook 97 and Netscape on the system.

But, really, I have given up on it. I am just going to use Outlook 2000.

Thanks for the suggetions!

sorry that I have little patients.

jthg,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.