1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved IE8 fails to initialize on Win XP

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by fdamp, 2014/08/29.

1. 2014/09/09
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I think it's time to bag this turkey. I'll make do with Chrome on my current machine for a short time until I get a new machine. DW can use her iPad to get to the emails in the account associated with IE. I'll be going shopping for a Win 8.1 lap-top in the next couple of weeks.

Enough messing about with this dinosaur. It will be relegated to off-line activities only, specifically photo processing and Quicken.

I sure appreciate the efforts that you guys running this newsgroup have spent trying to help. Although I have a lot of experience with computers, most if it is so old-tech that it's not a lot of help in today's environment.

You'd be amused to know that the 747 simulator we used for training airline pilots when I first went into that field (about 1975) had 64K of memory (32-bit words), two parallel processors and ran at 30 Hz (not KHz or MHz!). That was about as slow as you could run a simulation without the crew being able to see the instruments fluctuating. We wrote the code in assembly language punched it onto paper tape then shipped it across town to Boeing Computer Services. They ran a translator that turned the program into binary code, shipped it back to us and we loaded it into our simulation computers, which were Honeywell DDP 124 machines.

Pioneering days, I guess. With newer, much more powerful computers, we eventually reached a point of authenticity (maybe the early 1980s) where the first time a new pilot flew a "real" airplane was his FAA check-ride, then he was off flying passengers, though many new 747 guys were upgrading from smaller transport airplanes. I remember one pilot complaining that in 2 weeks of 6 hours a day in the sim, the first 20 minutes were the only time there wasn't something wrong with the airplane. We had over 3000 malfunctions the instructors could hit them with.

Last edited: 2014/09/09
  2. 2014/09/09
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Wow that's interesting. In the grand scheme of technology I find it amazing how fast technology progresses and how quickly computers can become obsolete.

Boy that must have been fun for the instructors but exhausting for the pilots in the simulation.

Anyway do you think we should mark this thread as Resolved since you will be getting a new computer fairly soon?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/09/10
    fdamp

What a change! I've been getting a frequent message "Norton Security has encountered a problem and must close" and the opeing window has been showing a security breach issue every time I re-opened it. It has been installing what appeared to be the same 7 fixes every time.

A computer-savvy friend mentioned that Norton was getting to be a pain in the butt on his company's system and they'd replaced it.

I just removed it and will be doing a re-install shortly, as we get Norton as part of the subscription to Comcast.

I tried IE8 while Norton was not loaded and it works fine!

5. 2014/09/10
    Evan Omo

I figured it had to do with a 3rd party background program causing IE8 to not work since you mentioned IE8 worked in Safe Mode with Networking.

That's good news to hear. :)

Have you completely uninstalled Norton from your machine? If you have then you should also run the Norton Removal Tool to make sure Norton is completely removed from your machine.

Are you sure that you want to reinstall Norton if it was conflicting with IE8?

6. 2014/09/10
    fdamp

I've had Norton on the box for at least 7 years and this is the first time it gave me any trouble. I think I've had three updates in that time without any malfunctions or conflicts.

It used to be included at no cost with a Comcast account. I was asked for an annual fee on the reload, so I'm going to be checking into it.

7. 2014/09/10
    Evan Omo

Well keep me posted but if you must still use that computer for Internet access then I'd recommend installing Avast Free Antivirus instead of reinstalling Norton.

8. 2014/09/10
    fdamp

Evan:

I expect to get a new Win 8.1 lap-top in the near future, at which time my current antique will be relegated to non-internet roles (primarily running Quicken and doing photo editing). I'm happy with our current version of Quicken and don't see a need to upgrade. My photo stuff isn't subject to internet-related imposed antiquity as I'm using Print.net for photo editing. It works a treat for what I need to do.

I sure appreciate all the concern you guys have shown over my problem and I'm relieved it's over for the time being. This is an awesome group of people.

9. 2014/09/11
    Evan Omo

Alright awesome. So are you satisfied with the conclusion of this thread and can we mark it as Resolved?

10. 2014/09/11
    fdamp

I have just marked it resolved, Evan.

11. 2014/09/11
    Evan Omo

Thanks. :)