1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

IE7 won't install -- registry problem?

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by BOBBO, 2006/11/01.

1. 2006/11/12
    GordyBoy05

GordyBoy05 Inactive

xmllite.dll 07-14-2006 is in the windows/system32 directory

Group Policy editor will not run and help says it is not on the system.

I am running XP Media Centre edition

I will look into the group policy thing

2. 2006/11/12
    GordyBoy05

GordyBoy05 Inactive

GPedit

It says that group policy is not available for home edition of XP

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/11/12
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

I keep forgetting that about MCE 2005 edition.

Do this instead:

Start, Run, regedit
    Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.
    From the Edit menu, select New - DWORD Value.
    Enter a name of ClassicShell, and press Enter.
    Double-click the new value, set it to 1, and click OK.
    (If the value "ClassicShell" already exists, just edit it)
    Close the registry editor.

Last edited: 2006/11/12
  5. 2006/11/12
    GordyBoy05

GordyBoy05 Inactive

Can't understand

That XP MCE is not listed. The windows disc was actually early 2006 OEM

I checked the settings and they were already set at what you stated. The only change I made was to ForceClassicControlPanel which was set at 0

Back when IE7 Beta first came out, I installed it and the Tabs were there but at that point IE7 messed up Outlook express and you could not open links in an email, so MSoft said to revert back to IE6 which I did until they released the new code.

I have now gone back to IE6

I do really appreciate your taking the time to troubleshoot this issue but I think we have done enough..

Thanks again

AL

Last edited: 2006/11/12
  6. 2006/12/10
    straydpg

straydpg Inactive

Found this site/page via a search engine search.

Want to say thanks to Bill for the information. :)

Had searched for quite some time before finding this page, and realizing it wasn't enough to just exit Zonealarm, but that I had to uninstall it and Spybot S&D in order to get IE 7 succesfully installed.

Thank you !

7. 2006/12/10
    GordyBoy05

GordyBoy05 Inactive

Not Me

I never uninstall anything to be able to install a MicroSoft program. I just use other programs until either one of the companies get their act together. I use a browser called Maxthon and it uses the underpinnings of the Internet Explorer and it has had tabs for years and they work fine. Opera 9 works fine, FireFox works fine so I know it is Microsoft Explorer with the issue not my system, so I just don't use Internet Explorer except to check compatability once in a while. To be fair, I would bet IE7 is the safest one to use as all the hackers try to bust it and MicroSoft keeps issuing patches. And to tick some people off, I don't think that is MS's problem really.

8. 2006/12/16
    ABRADAXIS

ABRADAXIS Inactive

Having The Same Problem

I am having exactly the same problem, and have spent hours on the phone with MS. Uninstalled ZA Pro, SpySweeper, Norton AV, cleaned the registry with SUBINACL and RESET as Bill Castner so patiently explained. MS is no help, and have missed two promised callbacks to me. I have a Dell with Win XP SP2 at the latest level, all hotfixes installed, and did successfully install on my other two computers. If anyone is still at this thread depth, perhaps they could give me a suggestion as to how to proceed. My opinion is that IE 7 is definitely worth it, based on using it on my other two PCs. Microsoft's support on this issue is very poor however, so I'm hoping someone monitoring this BBS will be able to offer me some help. Thanks in advance.

9. 2006/12/17
    hehussein

hehussein Inactive

This Fix Works.

Thanks Bill. The fix you posted worked like a charm. IE 7 in now up and running on my computer. I suffered from failed installation for almost a week before trying you fix. Thanks again.

10. 2006/12/18
    ABRADAXIS

ABRADAXIS Inactive

Your Fix Does Not Work For Me

Bill-I read your post about how to get around the installation failure of IE 7 with great interest. Unfortunately, your suggested solution did not work for me. I'll repeat my earlier post and hope you have some suggestions that might work. Thanks.

Profile:
    Computer Experience:
    experienced
    Become a Contributing Member!
    Having The Same Problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am having exactly the same problem, and have spent hours on the phone with MS. Uninstalled ZA Pro, SpySweeper, Norton AV, cleaned the registry with SUBINACL and RESET as Bill Castner so patiently explained. MS is no help, and have missed two promised callbacks to me. I have a Dell with Win XP SP2 at the latest level, all hotfixes installed, and did successfully install on my other two computers. If anyone is still at this thread depth, perhaps they could give me a suggestion as to how to proceed. My opinion is that IE 7 is definitely worth it, based on using it on my other two PCs. Microsoft's support on this issue is very poor however, so I'm hoping someone monitoring this BBS will be able to offer me some help. Thanks in advance.

11. 2006/12/22
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Logon in normal mode as Administrator.
    Create a brand new user, with Administrator priviliges.

Logon as the new user.
    Exit.

Start hitting the F8 function key early and often as the machine restarts. You will see the Advanced Boot menu. Choose Safe Mode.

Try the IE 7 installation again.

I will have to see if this fails the relevant entries in your installation log file. There is a discussion earlier in this thread how to find this.

12. 2006/12/27
    ABRADAXIS

ABRADAXIS Inactive

Bill, thank you for the response. I already tried this about ten steps ago, and it failed. However, I obviously do not have the log available at this time. I can recreate the situation and follow the earlier advice in the thread, which I will do, if Microsoft does not follow up. However, I am in direct contact with a seemingly capable person from MS who does follow up, and it is only the Holiday schedule which made it impossible to connect with him. I appreciate your assistance, and will get back to you if he cannot solve the problem or disappears. Thanks.

13. 2006/12/27
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Please do let me know.

I have some ideas. I am a bit surprised, as many PSS techs suggest using the advice I posted here: http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=22447

Variations of which you can see have resolved the issue for others in this thread.

I cannot emphasize enough some basic rules:

. Use Start, Run, services.msc and disable temporarily Windows Automatic Updates. (The reason is fairly technical, but I do not want a call to Windows Update during the installation). Remember to restore the setting when done.

. Do not let Aumatic Updates install IE 7, download and install it yourself. My personal belief is that IE 7 is a "must" update, but should never have hit the Windows Update listing in any form. Direct download: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3385-447C-8A30-081805B2F90B&displaylang=en

. Disabling all gaurds on registry settings done by protection programs is important. Watch out for: SpySweeper, Windows Defender by Microsoft, SpyWare Blaster, Spyware Guard, Spybot Search and Destroy (Tea timer is a killer), WinPatrol, AVG anti-spyware and anything similar. All can be configured temporarily to turn off the Gaurds.

. Disabling your AV may not be enough. Preferred: Use MSCONFIG and under the Startup tab disable all or any. Then use Safe Mode with Networking to install the IE 7 you downloaded. (Check the Guard applications above one more time in Safe Mode to be sure they are disabled).

(remember to use MSCONFIG to revert these changes afterwords).

. Zone Alarm 6.5 has to be un-installed. You might consider uninstalling any third-party firewall and reinstalling afterwards. Fortunately, this should revert you to the native firewall for the time being, so you will continue to be protected. A problem firewall cannot be disabled sufficiently to prevent problems in most cases.

If still no joy, please give me the last portion of the log entry from the installation. There are odd special cases, and I would be happy to deal with them.

14. 2006/12/27
    ABRADAXIS

ABRADAXIS Inactive

Thanks again. I read your post with interest. I am almost positive I DO have an odd case, and have done all the things you mentioned, although at this point I cannot remember if they were all done at once. FYI, both SpySweeper, ZA 6.5, and NAV have all been UNINSTALLED at this point, with no help. But if MS does not call back by the first working day of the New Year, I will retrace my steps using your good info and try again. IE installed on my two other PCs with no requirement to uninstall any of the same software. But I will see what help MS offers (not that I think it will be any better, but if one step fails they are on the hook to keep trying in the same call or a callback). I will let you know the results of my efforts, and thanks again.

15. 2006/12/31
    ABRADAXIS

ABRADAXIS Inactive

Problem Solved

Microsoft finally called back, with a fully qualified technician. Basically, he reviewed everything I did, and then downloaded some of their registry repair programs which basically reset all the registry keys so they would allow updating by IE7 upon install. After weeks of frustration, he (and his soubroutines) were able to fix the problem in a ten-minute call.

I truly appreciate your help, but my conversation with the tech indicates that they are having many problems with users use of third party software which modifies the registry and prevents installation of IE 7. Now "many users" may only be a few thousand people, but it apparently was enough for them to develop a protocol for solving the problem, and this protocol involves some of their propietary or "extraordinary" patches to the registry no readily available to mortal man.

Thanks again to all who assisted me. Happy New Year to all!

16. 2007/01/01
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Note that my suggested fix used only Microsoft products.

I would not let a third-party registry cleaner within a 1,000 yards of my computer.

Nor does my fix clean the registry. It simply restores default permissions to the registry keys scanned by IE 7 during installation.

Now I have to go ask the IE7 product group for a set of the utilities used, because I am curious what registry keys they are permitteding.

Glad you got the issue sorted. PSS does a pretty good job most times.

17. 2007/01/01
    ABRADAXIS

ABRADAXIS Inactive

Bill, perhaps they did not use a registry "cleaner." I do remember that they did use a utility to restore registry permissions. But they did use two separate programs, and, not being a system programmer, I'm not sure of what they used. No complaint about the BBS, though, it is just that they took control of my system, downloaded all the correct programs, and solved the problem in one sitting, with no additional iterations. Once again, thanks for the help.

"He has Van Gogh's ear for music. "-- Billy Wilder