1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

IE7 won't install -- registry problem?

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by BOBBO, 2006/11/01.

1. 2006/11/03
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Bobbo,

First check above again. The "code" was a BBcoding error on my part.

Second, did you run the utility I linked earlier?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6d-f4c3-44a6-8d01-5972854c0845&displaylang=en

If so, what were the results?

Third, create a new administrative user. Logon as this new user in Safe Mode. Try the installation of IE 7 again.

Fourth, while still logged in as the new user:
    Go into the registry editor, and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl

Right click and choose Permissions. Under group or user names, make sure it says Administrators and SYSTEM; click Add, type your windows user name in the box below (click "check names" on the left to verify it's correct). Then
    alter the permissions for your user by checking off the "full control" box.
    Check that Administrators and SYSTEM have Full Control as well.

2. 2006/11/03
    BOBBO

BOBBO Geek Member Thread Starter

Bill: I entered your command in Run again, this time without the
    Code:
     part, and went through another install.  Result:   "did not complete."  Had to reboot.

Yes, I did run the utility. Three times, in fact, and each time it assigned me a different code.  Ran the installs.  Same result each time, no joy.

I haven't done the new administrator job yet.  That's what the MS tech guy worked on just before we ran out of time.  I think he tried 6 different possibilities.  None worked.  In the regedit line you provided, at the end is the \SeachURL part.  He tried doing something with that several times, too, without success.  I vaguely recall that it wouldn't permit him access, and that's when he began exploring the adminstrator rights matter.  There was a problem with that line, though, just not perfectly clear on what anymore.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/11/03
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

The utility fixes nothing.
    It just reports on registry keys and files that are problematic.

Once it reports them, you use regedit to add to the permissions of the key if a registry key; or set NTFS permissions on the files in Safe Mode as Administrator if XP Home.

5. 2006/11/03
    BOBBO

Well, that didn't work, either. At first when I opened RegEdit it was already set at that SearchUrl point from when the MS tech was working with it Wednesday and today it gave me this:

Error Opening Key
    Cannot open SearchURL. Error while opening key.

The new administrator assignment didn't go any better. A new name brought up this:

Unable to save permission changes to SearchUrl. Access is denied.

Without that, I wasn't able to proceed any further. Stubborn problem, isn't it?

6. 2006/11/03
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

We will approach this another way.

First, download, unzip and move to \Windows \System32 the file REGINI.EXE :
    http://www.dynawell.com/reskit/microsoft/win2000/regini.zip

Second, open notepad, and copy/paste the following:

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /setowner=administrators
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /setowner=administrators
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /setowner=administrators
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f

regini C:\reg_fix.txt

cls

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Cached" /v "{A4DF5659-0801-4A60-9607-1C48695EFDA9} {00214E6-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} 0x401" /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Correct the erroneous space that appears: "Sh ell Extensions" should read "Shell Extensions "

Do a File, Save as, C:\fix_reg.cmd

Third, open notepad again and paste the following:

\Registry\Machine\Software [1 5 10]
    \Registry\Machine\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer [1 5 10]
    \Registry\Machine\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl [1 5 10]

File, Save, c:\reg_fix.txt

Finally, do a Start, Run, cmd

Type:
    c:
    cd \
    fix_reg.cmd

Last edited: 2006/11/03
  7. 2006/11/04
    BOBBO

Bill: Well, that didn't work, either. I went through the prescribed steps. It took me awhile to figure out how to enter the succession of Run commands just right, but once I did, the operation completed correctly in an instant. I wasn't sure what to do next, so I shut off the malware progs and did another IE7 install. Same result: incomplete. Rebooted. Then thought maybe I was supposed to do the RegEdit thing to get administrator privileges. Rebooted into Safe Mode, opened RegEdit. Had the same luck there as I did the other time we tried that. Refused access to SearchUrl, then refused acceptance of the change I entered. Shut RegEdit down, rebooted into Normal Mode, and here I am again, joyless.

8. 2006/11/04
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

And this logged into Safe Mode as a brand new Administrative user?

9. 2006/11/04
    BOBBO

I don't really know. How do I do that? What's the procedure?

10. 2006/11/04
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

First, Control Panel, User Accounts
    Create a New User, and make them an Administrator.

Second, logout. Login as the New User.
    Restart the Computer.

Hit the F8 function key early and often as the computer restarts. You should shortly see an Advanced Boot Optioins Menu, of which one Choice is Safe Mode with Networking.

Choose that. Logon as the New User.

Start, Run, CMD
    C:
    CD \
    fix_reg.cmd

When this finishes, try to install IE 7 again.

11. 2006/11/04
    BOBBO

Bingo! That did it!

Creating a new user turned out to be the trick. The MS tech tried something like that the other night but we ran into a roadblock when he asked me for my password. I didn't think I'd ever had one. Never wanted one. But this time when I ran into that I could see the password hint thing and when I clicked on it I knew what to say and then it was a simple matter of setting up a new user account.

The Run command part was more familiar to me this time and it worked, the operation itself taking maybe 3 seconds this time.

Found the IE setup command and ran it, and for a change got the "installation complete" message. Rebooted into Normal Mode and found warnings about unsatisfactory network security settings. Set them to Default. Found the IE7 icon waiting on the Desktop, clicked it, and there the IE7 window was, working like a champ. I'll customize a few things, but the point is, Bill, we got it done!

Thanks for the help and for staying on it through to a glorious victory.

12. 2006/11/04
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Good news.

Regards.

13. 2006/11/11
    GordyBoy05

GordyBoy05 Inactive

No Tabs

I have installed IE7 but the tabs don't work. It is wierd because I have Maxthon running which uses the basic IE underpinnings and it works well with tabs. So does Firefox 2.0

I always am amazed at the stuff MS puts out that causes problems with many systems. Suppose it is a coincidence ?:mad:

14. 2006/11/11
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

What do you mean when you state the Tabs do not work?
    Did you enable them?

Tools, Internet Options, General tab, Tab settings.
    They are not enabled by default.

15. 2006/11/11
    GordyBoy05

GordyBoy05 Inactive

Tabs not visible

The tab selection under File / New Tab is greyed out and all the settings are selected in the options menu.

I have completely reset all the options both on the Tab Setting and the Advanced setting window.

I was pretty sure that is was machine specific to my computer until I surfed and looked for others having this problem.

I also have the Vista Beta and a install over there on the dual boot machine the tabs work perfectly.

The programs are on different drives so that settings in one do/should not effect the other.

16. 2006/11/11
    sig

sig Inactive

Be glad it won't install! IE7 was released way to early. many of your programs that currently work OK with IE6 may not work at all...once you have IE7 (espescially those that require internet access to work) installed and will nessecitate you going back to IE6 until they have the patches and fixes available for you to re-install the IE7.
    Tomorrow, Let the MS tech know that we are all having major problems with their IE7 update. They should pull it for now, work out the bugs, talk to the other program providers (that use their IE to deliver us their programs, services) and wait to release it again AFTER they have their acts together! for now MS IE7 is about as useful to us as a virus!

sig,
  17. 2006/11/11
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Microsoft reports over 14 million IE 7 installations on XP and Windows 2003 platforms, with very few reported issues. In addition, there are over 5 million estimated Vista installations all using IE 7.

IE 7 is being installed at a rate of 3 million downloads a day, (this does not not counting any installations from Windows Update).

IE 7 is an excellent product, and a vital security step for any computer running XP, Windows 2003 or Vista.

If you will notice, original Poster BOBBO had his issue resolved. It was a corrupt user profile and had nothing whatsoever to do with Internet Explorer 7 itself.

Last edited: 2006/11/11
  18. 2006/11/11
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

19. 2006/11/11
    GordyBoy05

GordyBoy05 Inactive

Not working

I installed the new parser file and it revalidated my Windows Install oh wonders of wonders.

I disabled all boot startup programs including my Zone Alarm etc

I rebooted and then started up IE 7 and not only was there no tabs, it said I had to reload the IE7 program (??). This time I let it run itself instead of my normal way of downloading the installation program and installing in locally.

It installed fine and completed its installation and then I rebooted.

No Tabs, still greyed out

Disabled all add ons within the browser

Still nothing after I rebooted.

BTW I did this all before but was willing to try again. But I don't really need it but it just makes me a bit concerned about something not being right with the machine.

Also, VCOM has told me that IE7 interferes with their Fix-It7 program so I am not alone.

Thanks for the help but I think I will remove IE7 and go back to IE6 for now and I am not saying nor have I ever said it was a Microsoft problem but I still maintain that their software is NOT without its own issues :confused:

20. 2006/11/11
    sig

sig Inactive

and you thought that installing XP service pack 2 was a problem... to bad MS doesn't understand that we are not all banks, the FBI or the NAS and we don't care too much (not that much ) about "security "... we just kind of want the things we buy to work, play a few games send a few e-mails and save/print a few photos. the way these updates are coming it makes you wonder (over 110, counting MS office, in the last year) what was wrong with XP to begin with?
    Sig

sig,
  21. 2006/11/11
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

GordyBoy05,

Do you see xmllite.dll in your Windows\system32\ directory? If not, are you running Update.exe directly instead of the ie 7 installer to avoid WGA issues?

Could you check a Group Policy setting using Gpedit.msc?

Start, Run, gpediit.msc
    Navigate to:

User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Explorer | Turn on Classic Shell

If 'Enabled' set it to 'Not Configured', and log off and back on.

Do you see tabs now in IE 7?