1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Solved IE start page

Discussion in 'Malware and Virus Removal Archive' started by mariola, 2014/08/06.

1. 2014/08/11
    mariola

mariola Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Broni. You have done a magnificent job. Much appreciated. Thank you.

I have followed your final instructions and will run the tools suggested by you.

One question: Did you find any trojans, rootkits or bootkits?

And did the tests, we have been running, tell us, from where my infection originates? Was it from Istartsurf, which I happened to install by accident?

Further I should add that when running Delfix.exe, a pop-up said the following: "Exception EAccess Violation in module ERUNT.3Xe at 00003A62. Access violation at address 00403A62 in module ERUNT.3XE. Read of address 00650065 ". I pressed OK and Delfix did its job.

Is it of any importance? A similar pop-up appeared when running Combofix.

The last question about the start page, which I can still not change from about:blank to eg. about:tabs. Is there anything to do about that? In a way it Works as is but if you had an explanation it would be nice.

I shall not forget to mention that my computer works well.

2. 2014/08/11
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

Thank you :)
    No trojans were present.

Errors regarding Erunt can happen. Nothing to worry about.

As for your home page the issue may be caused by some of your security programs.
    What exactly happens when you try to change home page?
    See if you can change it in safe mode.
    How to start Windows in Safe Mode

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/08/12
    mariola

When I open IE start page is about:blank. I can change it under Options eg. to about:tabs and pressing apply it is accepted but opening IE again start page is still about:blank. As stated I can live with it and get about:tabs by opening a new tab.
    I tried as suggested to do the same in Safe Mode but effect is the same. Change not accepted when opening IE again.
    My registry key states about:blank is it the reason why I cannot change it?
    By the way did you establish if my infection originated from installing Istartsurf?

5. 2014/08/12
    broni

There is no way to tell.

See if you can change your home page to something else like Google.com and if it'll hold.

6. 2014/08/13
    mariola

Even changing to Google.com does not change the start page. It keeps reverting to about:blank. As stated earlier it is not a big problem, so we leave it here.
    Broni thank you again.
    I will consider case solved.

7. 2014/08/13
    broni

You're very welcome [​IMG]