1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

I quit social media. Here's what I learned ...

Discussion in 'News @ WindowsBBS' started by Arie, 2013/10/12.

1. 2013/10/12
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

... that it's profound, mundane, and best in moderation. A lot like a lot of things in real life, actually.

Last August, I took a break from social media. With fair warning to my friends and colleagues, I signed off every single social service -- Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, MessageMe, Twitter, and most crucially, Facebook -- in hopes of discovering what I've gained -- and lost -- over the past decade. I took an extreme approach. I also quit instant messaging services, and I tried to stop texting. Basically, any new social communication service I'd added in the past decade was up for examination. I hoped that my month off would give me new perspective on these technologies about which I write. Here's what I learned

Read CNN Article

Arie,
  2. 2013/10/12
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I never went in for any social media. I do not trust it. How can social media call any contacts friends. They are not even acquaintances.

lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/10/14
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Sigh, as much as computing has helped me in many ways, there are times I wish I had never seen one.

My wife has a FB account, but I do not.

5. 2013/10/15

James that is a wise move on your part. FB to me is to intrusive. I know a lot of people who bared their souls on that site. So I take it you are like me the go to guy when thing go wrong with other peoples computers. I'm not complaining I've been retired over 20 years so fixing them just gives me something to do.

lj50,
    James Martin likes this.
  6. 2013/10/16
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Yes, I'm the go to guy, but I get aggravated when the young folks go click-click with their mouse without even looking at what they are downloading / installing. I told them to make an account here for virus removal. :D

7. 2013/10/17

It's not only the young folk. I have young and older folks coming to me. I have a karaoke business owner who is nearly sixty years old. I told him in today's world of computing you have to read the Privacy Policies and be careful of what you're downloading and installing. He yeses me to death. A few days later bang his machines are infected. His answer to me was "It takes too long to read all of that stuff. What about your downloads and installations? His reply "I always download things and hardly ever have a problem ". It's the "hardly ever" part that scares me. James maybe you need to take a day off and relax if you can. Every once in a while I take a break(I call it a Mental Health Day), and it's just what the doctor ordered.

lj50,