1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

I lost a .doc I saved in Windows mail

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by D Budnick, 2007/11/06.

1. 2007/11/11
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

If you search for *.doc you also get results with *.docx

2. 2007/11/11
    Pharo

Pharo Inactive

Oh I didn't know that. I haven't released Office 07 to my end users due to a lack of backward compatibility. I thought Microsoft had learned this lesson once or twice before but I guess not.

Later,

PBiZ

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/11/12
    Arie

It's just how search works.

5. 2007/11/12
    D Budnick

D Budnick Inactive Thread Starter

Okay, I found some of my missing documents

With ZERO heop from Microsoft support who told me I couldn't check the properties of an open Word document. I found a few of missing docs. I am still looking for a few more. Theer were at...

Users\user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\NX------

C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\3V------

I want to be able to access all of the sub-directories that follow IE5. Is there a way to do so?

6. 2007/11/12
    Arie

Simple: Go to Internet Options and on the General tab, click the Settings button under Browsing history. Next click the View files button. This will let you browse all the TIF files on your system.

If you want to see the subfolders (as you ask), just put this in you address bar:
    C:\Users\ {username} \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

7. 2007/11/12
    D Budnick

I wish that were the case. All my problems would be solved.

Alas, it says the folder is empty. I can only pull up any folders in that subdirectory by naming them specfically...

8. 2007/11/12
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

9. 2007/11/12
    D Budnick

I FOUND MY MISSING DOCUMENTS!!

Thanks Arie. I couldn't quite see them right away as you suggested but I poked around a bit more and found the advice below which I implemented and then the folders were indeed visible.

- Launch Windows Explorer.
    - Go to Tools > Folder Options > View

Select "Show hidden files and folders"
    Deselect "Hide extensions for known file types"
    Deselect "Hide protected operating system files"

Thank you everyone here for your help and suggestions.

Much better than Microsoft Support which told me 3 things that were 100% wrong...
    (1) They aren't in your temp internet files folder
    (2) You can't check properties from an open document
    (3) I am sorry, sir, I looked into your problem and the files do not exist. WRONG AGAIN, I JUST FOUND THEM AND SAVED THEM TO THE PROPER DIRECTORY.

Anyhow, thanks to all. If someone else has a similar problem down the road maybe this thread will help...

Dean