1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

I can't install or unistall any programs!! It might be virus related...

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by fer_rios25, 2004/10/25.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/10/28
    fer_rios25

fer_rios25 Inactive Thread Starter

is this good?

This is a link johanna gave me, would this work?!!?

2. 2004/10/28
    fer_rios25

Last edited: 2004/10/28

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/10/28
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Fernando,

I hope someone who has done this, chips in with a few pointers. From what I have heard/read, it is essential to defragment prior to any resizing and to only let PM carry out one task at a time.

You still haven't answered my question if the WinXP CD is an upgrade version or a full version! The answer to #2 depends on Your answer.

No, with no other backup software it is not adviceable to turn SR off. As long as You do a clean installation and install functional AntiVirus and FireWall software prior to going on-line, update immediately and keep them up-to-date, then a virus should be a rare occurrence. Even if I don't trust SR ...... :eek: ...... it's better than nothing.

Same answer as for #2!

Johanna doesn't give bad advice, I'm sure it would work.

You can use Windows XP, Installing and Setup as a cross reference (or the other way around if You like).

Christer

5. 2004/10/28
    Christer

I forgot ...... :confused: ...... :

The two partitions on the 20-giger, do they show up as C: and D: ?

Is the system on the small one or the large one?

Christer

6. 2004/10/28
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I am here. And you are correct. That is the better way to handle PM.

Other than that I have nothing to add at this time.

BiilyBob

7. 2004/10/28
    fer_rios25

ok...

My xp cd is not only an upgrade, but a full version. And yes, originally the 20 giger partitions were shown as c: and d: but when I added the 200 giger the d: turned into g:. notice the name of g: (originally c:) is SYSTEM_SAV, so i guess that's where the original ME system is.

g: originally g: is the 3 giger partition

(the original system (ME) is on the small one, but the xp upgrade is probably on the 17 giger partition.

thanks,
    Fernando Rios

8. 2004/10/28
    Christer

Alright,
    with a full version of WinXP, there is no need to mix in WinME whatsoever.

From the information on how the drive letters were shifted, I deduce that You have 2 optical devices and that the 200-giger has a primary partition.

Originally, You had;

C: - primary partition
    D: - extended partition
    E: - CD/DVD-R/RW (?)
    F: - CD/DVD-ROM (?)

When You added the 200-giger, it had a primary partition and those are numbered before all extended partitions. Thats why it "nicked" the D: letter and the old D: became G: which was the next free drive letter.

To avoid this in the pending (?) clean installation, when WinXP is installed, have only the 20-giger connected (and the opticals). This will eliminate any possibility to, by mistake, install on the 200-giger. During the initial phase of the installation, when prompted, remove the two partitions and create one single partition of it all and have it do a full format to NTFS.

When the installation is complete, the 20-giger will be C: and the opticals D: and E: respectively.

Go to Disk Management and right-click D: and choose > change drive letter > make it X: > confirm that this is what You want. Next, do the same with E: but make it Y:.

Shut down and connect the 200-giger. When You restart, it will be detected and given the drive letter D: (plus any other drive letters in sequence depending on the number of partitions).

So, to initiate a clean install of WinXP;

- make a decision on how You would like Your partitions, if You don't agree with me on making the 20-giger a single one,

- repartition the 200-giger on the forthcoming clean system, I've got a hunch that this would be better/safer,

- make sure that You know how to get into Disk Management,

- read up on the guides provided through Johanna's and my links, print anything You want to have to hand during the installation,

- decide on using imaging software or not,

- try to get SP2 on CD and any and all updates to other software,

- ask questions before ...... ;) ...... not after - we will be here *,

- put the WinXP CD in the tray,

- shut down the computer and disconnect the 200-giger and all external devices such as scanner and/or printer,

- restart the computer, check that it boots from the CD and follow the prompts.

Christer
    *) who will be out of town during the weekend

9. 2004/10/28

BillyBob Inactive

This may be true.

But shouldn't the 200 be installed as a SLAVE without a Primary ? No matter what OS is installed.

Without a primary would it not have been E: And the CDROMS moved up ?

CDROM problems is/was the problem that caused me to set them to S: & T: so that I could add/subtract partitions without messing them up.

They are also set to S: & T: on my Win98 Startup disk. And all three machines are setup the same way.

Adding, removing HDs ( partitions ) can a real PAIN in the backside if we do not understand how things work. And unless I am thinking incorrectly OEM machines do not help matters any.

BillyBob

10. 2004/10/28
    Christer

BillyBob,

If a harddisk is partitioned with only a single partition (no changes made to default suggestions) and one doesn't take notice, it defaults to making it a primary (as opposed to extended, not as opposed to slave). This can probably be fixed in PM but also left as is since drive letters can be asigned manually in XP.

I personally have only one primary and that's C:, where the System resides. Everything else are extended partitions with logicals.

Not on XP. On a fresh system it assigns drive letters according to the old rules to whichever devices are installed. Drive letters are static and can only be changed by the user. Added drives get drive letters in sequence and in concequence an optical device may have a lower drive letter than a subsequently added harddisk, unless the user changes the lettering. That is my personal experience from adding a harddisk and not having changed the drive letters of the opticals.

Fernando's experience seems to indicate that primary partitions take precedence but the added drive letter didn't change the opticals upwards.

Still a good idea but not for exactly the same reason ...... ;) ...... only similar.

Christer

11. 2004/10/28

BillyBob Inactive

OK. What is new here that I am not aware of ?

I thought the jumpers took care of being a primary or Slave ?

Some of the rest of your reply is as clear as mudd because I just quickly scaned through it. I will work on it later when I get back from my Doctors appointment and our Grocery shopping.

BillyBob

12. 2004/10/28
    Christer

A harddisk can be jumpered to be either primary or slave.

A partition on a harddisk can be created as primary or extended with logical partitions within the extended.

Two different things but I am starting to worry about not using the correct terminology ...... :confused: ......

Christer

13. 2004/10/28

BillyBob Inactive

No disagreement with;
    That may well be some of the problem.

BillyBob

14. 2004/10/28
    Christer

I have checked and found that primary, extended and logical are the correct names for the different types of partition.

Christer

15. 2004/10/28

BillyBob Inactive

Lets see if we can work this out.

That is true. But when I see someone say the HD is a Primary or Slave I think of the HD in total. I believe that is where the jumpers come in.

Now if someone says I have a 200gig as a slave with all one primary or extended partiton that is quite different. Then we are talking partition not HD.

I know that the machine in question is different. But I believe that the 200gig HD must be a slave. I know you can have two primary partitions but I do not believe you can have two primary HDs. I know that Western Digital won't let me. I have tried.

I have an 80 gig HD with ONE 8gig Primary C: and Logical drives D; Thru H: That means I have an 8gig primary partition and 1 ( one ) 72gig extended partition divided into 5 Logical drives.

:) I hope to heck I have it right :)

If I did install a 20gig SLAVE HD ( which I am thinking about doing ) it would become all extended and with logical drive I of 20gig unless I partitioned it further.

BillyBob

16. 2004/10/28
    fer_rios25

ok guys...

Well, I tried to ignore the last few enteries because they would just add to my confusion. I think I have it figured out. I will just remove the 200 HD and follow the steps in the link johanna gave me. Thanks for all your help and I'll let you know when I'm back from the fresh install.

Thank you again,
    Fernando Rios

17. 2004/10/28
    fer_rios25

Done!!!

Well, thank everyone that helped me with this problem. I started my pc with a fresh copy of XP and it seems to be working pretty well. Only one question, though. I now turned the 20 gig hard drive into one whole, with no partitions. This is where windows was installed. Should I install all my programs in this hard drive? (C) or should i install them in my additional storage hard drive?

thanks,
    Fernando Rios

18. 2004/10/29
    Christer

Congratulations, Fernando ...... :) ...... !

Sorry about derailing Your thread ...... :eek: ...... it happens all too often when the intricacies of Windows are discussed.

I would install all programs on C: because all program installers write to the Windows folder and to the registry. Most programs default to install on C: and some don't agree with being redirected.

Christer

19. 2004/10/29
    Christer

BillyBob,
    I agree on what You say and we have actually confused the terminology.

Partitions are primary or extended and logical.

Harddisks are master or slave.

With two IDE controllers, which all computers have, it is possible to have two harddisks as master, one on each controller.

Christer

By the way ...... :eek: ...... aren't the IDE controllers called primary and secondary ...... :p ...... ?

20. 2004/10/29
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Glad you got XP back and working.

Carefree computing

XP Install Tips:
    After the XP Pro Install
    Install and configure Internet Security Software and Policy before going online

1. Turn off auto restart
    Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery
    uncheck auto restart to prevent an endless loop of boots
    2. Decide option for XP firewall
    3. Pro only- set password expiration to 0
    4. Appearance tweaks- resolution, start menu, taskbars, screensaver, desktop
    5. Set the MS Update policy
    6. Log on Passwords and User accounts and permissions
    7. Set up Outlook Express (import WAB!)
    8. Configure Network and online Connections
    9. Set Power policies
    10. Set Folder views and options
    11. IE Policies and homepage.
    Adjust
    Select Tools | Internet Options | General
    Under Temporary Internet Files click the Settings button.
    In the box for the amount of disk space to use, enter a value between 5 and 80 megabytes.
    Click OK to accept the changes.
    12. Bios needs set to boot from cd and/or floppy before hard drive

HTH
    Johanna

21. 2004/10/29

BillyBob Inactive

Good Morning and thank you Christer.

Agree

And that is what it says ON THE HD ITSELF in respect to the jumper settings.

That is correct.

Not sure but I believe that is the way it is.

fer_rios25

Glad to read that you have something working again.

BillyBob

Last edited: 2004/10/29
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.