1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved HP replacing DVD/CD player.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by BobbyScot, 2016/07/28.

1. 2016/08/17
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I would think that implies that the install size and date is not available, not the program itself.

2. 2016/08/17
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

Yes you are correct, as VLC is working correctly, best just to ignore what Win 10 shows. DVD/CD not working could be Win 10 using excess memory using the various software installed. Computer has 8GB memory.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/08/17
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Where did a CARD come from? We've been dealing with a new DVD player installation that won't play o_O

5. 2016/08/18
    BobbyScot

Trying with the help of others to solve as to why DVD/CD recognised in Device Manager but fails to play DVD movies, only plays photos some of the time. Card was brought into the equation as in Win 10 system shows card memory - VLC is selected (on my computer) is this incorrect? Does DVD/CD require any memory to function? I must confess at this stage, checking on all possibilities with the help of many kind members interest to solve this episode. Bobby.

I required to install software recorded on a DVD, by using the DVD-RW player. Software install was successful. It is now possible to use DVD-RW to install software on disc and screen photos but not prerecorded DVD films. It certainly appears that either VLC media player or Win 10 are at fault or possibly both, this too applies if using Win 10 media player.

Last edited: 2016/08/18
  6. 2016/08/18
    retiredlearner

Yes. If you are going to burn data/photos/music onto a disc, the info must be converted first to the required format hence the need for space/memory to do this.

7. 2016/08/19
    BobbyScot

I am at this time not burning anything to DVD-RW disc. My last entry, refers to DVD-RW whose material was carried out several years ago, so much so, that I have forgotten correct procedure in doing this. I gather what you say has no relevance to non play of DVD movies.

8. 2016/08/19
    BobbyScot

Tried VLC>Media>open disc, shows some success, in that film after time lapse commences to play inserted DVD in player. However, it plays for a few seconds, freezes and again start play, through out the entire film. Reading numerous articles on this topic, shows many people experience this, of films opening-freeze-play. Satisfactory solution has not been found.

9. 2016/08/19
    retiredlearner

10. 2016/08/20
    BobbyScot

A few days ago downloaded/installed K-Lite codec (basic version). Checking Revo Installer, it shows K-Lite codec as installed in computer, presume it works in the background. Bobby. Checked and found K-Lite codec (full version), this was installed after removing (basic version). As a prevention removed and re-installed VLC. DVD Movies startup quicker, but stop/Start, on a few occasions play for several seconds only. At a guess, would say a Registry entry or Memory issue is the cause.

Last edited: 2016/08/20
  11. 2016/08/20
    retiredlearner

Possible fault in new DVD player??? Can you test DVD player in another comp?

12. 2016/08/20
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Just for curiosity Bobby, did you at any stage try and use a video card instead of, I assume that I am correct, just using the on-board graphics.

13. 2016/08/21
    BobbyScot

Installed for several years, NVidia 630 graphics card. What has baffled me, is why video play jerky as though memory available was insufficient. All checks show drive is working properly. Bobby.

14. 2016/08/21
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Googling this video card shows up some driver problems with Windows10, do you have that driver installed?
    For general use it it supposedly OK, not the best for games, but that is not the problem here.

NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Windows 10 Driver WHQL

If not try, but make sure you remove the old driver first.

Personally I have never heard of it, but on the NVidia forum a guy claimed to have solved the win10 driver issue by removing the video card, start up the comp, then stop again and re install the card, boot up and the comp should automatically get the correct driver. Like I said new to me.
    hawk22

15. 2016/08/21
    BobbyScot

hawk22, thanks for information. Graphics cards are NVidia or AMD or on board Mother board. In the UK NVidia is the most popular, and gives driver software a considerable year back. My driver is for 630 but can use the Gforce series. Bobby.

16. 2016/08/21
    BobbyScot

Played various DVD movies, each one plays for a few minutes then freeze, after a lapse of a few minutes continue to the next freeze. Repeating the process several times, each one plays exactly to the same freeze. Installing the NVedia software for Win 10, proved to be not a successive step due poor quality picture, again Videos played similar pattern. Software has been retuned to Video card 630 installed in computer.

17. 2016/08/23
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Well Bobby, I can assure you that you are not the only one with this problem, there are many many pages full on the net with just the same problem and many cures that work for some and not for others.
    I have picked a few for you if you fancy to try any.

Install Media Player Classic Home Cinema

Media Player Classic Home Cinema 1.7.10

I would suggest you to install the latest Graphic card drivers from manufacturer website in Compatibility Mode.

Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows (Previous operating system) operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

HP PCs - Resolving DVD and Blu-ray Movie Problems (Windows 10, 8) | HP® Customer Support

Hopefully something will pop up to solve the problem. One thing that I would do is, to eliminate the CD/DVD drive as the culprit is copy a video to your hard drive and play it, if it does the same at least then you know it is not your drive.
    hawk22

18. 2016/08/23
    BobbyScot

hawk22, most appreciated for the trouble taken to solve this persistent trouble with playback of movies. I agree there are hundreds of others with my problem and little success with a result in solving it. Many helps relate with adding or other, suggestion that apply to the Registry (a no go area, trouble!!!). HP give little to none help, after guarantee period has lapsed. Your last suggestion is most interesting, really think it unlikely as I believe bought DVD movies are safe guarded against copying. Downloaded NVidia Win 10 software for their latest graphics card, this proved a non starter. My graphics card was added to the HP Presario, and card being six year old as a series 630 with 1GB memory not compatible with latest driver. I would say trouble lies between Win10 and VLC, though other players have the same result. Bobby.

19. 2016/08/24
    BobbyScot

Clicking VLC Preferences, Codecs and selecting Automatic. Again tried a DVD movie, which proved some success, as playback was now instant but sadly for only few minutes at a time before freezing. Then continuing for another few minutes, repeating until closure of DVD. I am no expert by far, still think memory is the main problem. Graphics card memory available is not sufficient, especially with Windows 10 installed.

20. 2016/08/24
    retiredlearner

Therein lies your problem. From description and what you have gone through already - I was about to suggest Graphics card could be the problem. It's OK for normal use but can't keep up with Video requirements. From HP specs:
    I note: Graphics Nvidia GForce 630 on your system details. Have you changed from the onboard graphics to a 3rd. party card? Is the onboard card disabled in BIOS? Maybe some conflict going on unless it auto detects and shuts itself off when another card is inserted. As usual with HP- minimum output PSU installed 300watts is a bit low for my likeings.

21. 2016/08/25
    BobbyScot

retiredlearner, you are correct, the GForce 630 was added some years ago, I must say did not check the BIOS, rarely do I venture there. Where in the BIOS do you check? Until recently, the DVD/CD player worked satisfactory. You mention the PSU, the original failed some time ago and replaced with higher wattage rate. I removed the NVidia software and noticed graphics where not affected though of less picture quality. Question is, graphics controlled by the GForce 630 or the onboard? Changing the graphics card, what is the replacement, as no doubt the motherboard will determine this? Bobby.