1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved HP Printer refuses to print certain items

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Jimfox, 2016/06/27.

1. 2016/07/01
    Jimfox

Jimfox Active Member Thread Starter

TonyT, You may believe what you want, & what you say may apply to your specifics, but i have done all the required steps to wirelessly reconnect my Laptop to the printer, which said printer is connected by cable to my Desktop which is turned on to enable me to print. The fact alone that i can print my emails directly from the Desktop is not the issue ... the issue is that i cannot print my emails from my Laptop, while i can print a Word Doc. Obviously, the printer is connected wirelessly to my Laptop. I can print a test page from my Laptop. You can stongly disagree all you like ,but if you can give me a fix, please give it to me, but fer fox sake, don't jump on on me ... As your logo says, "no one has any right" There is no user error here ...

2. 2016/07/01
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Take it easy man! And chill out a bit.
    "User error" means the following:
    The user does not fully understand the cause of the problem and thus the problem persists.

Yes, you have applied all that you currently know to solve the problem, and probably tried suggested solutions as well. However, the problem persists. There are many factors involved in using printers, especially if the printer is networked or shared, and obviously ALL possible solutions have not yet been tried.

For example:

What version of Outlook? What version of Firefox?

Is the printer connected to your wireless router? Are the print server wifi settings correct? (you should be able to connect to the printer's in-built print server using any Web browser just by entering in the address bar the printer's LAN IP address and view/change settings)

Is XP networking setup properly on the laptop? The default network adapter settings in XP are buggy and do need to be adjusted.

Are other printer's installed such as Fax and XPS Document writer?

In Outlook and Firefox, is the correct printer selected in the Printer Name: dropdown menu? Any duplicate names?

Last edited: 2016/07/01
    Jimfox likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/07/02
    Jimfox

TonyT, mate, i'm chilled.
    The Optus cable is connected to the Neatgear wireless router. The router is connected to the Desktop by cable. The printer is connected to the desktop by cable. The laptop is connected wirelessly to the router. The Desktop must be turned on for the Laptop to send a print order, which it does excellently when i print a test page from my Laptop, so everything is configured from the Laptop to the Desktop ( HP Officejet 4610 on COMPUTER 1) , to the printer.
    Microsoft Outlook i use for emails ... Version, don't know, don't care ... Firefox, the browser i use to open Outlook ... Version, don't know, don't care. Nothing has changed in the last 2 years, except for the fact that i now get a blank sheet from the printer when i print my emails from the Laptop, nor can i print this actual page either, i just get a blank sheet.
    But, the fact that i can print a Word Doc, or a test page from here, ( Laptop), shows that everything is configured properly.
    The only change i have made is to uninstall & reinstall HP to see if that helped. It hasn't.
    Again, my mate Mattman, a BBS moderator, was here the other day, & he tells me the problem is in the Laptop, & that i would have to Format my hard drive & start afresh.
    I will not go there. I am happy to copy & paste my emails into a Word Doc, they look better that way.
    Thanks again ...

5. 2016/07/02
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Thanks, that explains it better.
    Per the above, it is a shared printer, shared by the desktop. It must be shared if the desktop needs to be ON for the laptop to print anything.

However, sharing a network capable printer is inefficient and often does lead to problems because the host computer (desktop) is in full control of what programs may use the shared printer. Sharing involves other things too, such as firewall, security, permissions on both computers, etc.

Per your setup, the laptop connects to the wifi router, which routes print requests to the desktop and the desktop routes the requests to the attached printer. The printer wifi is NOT being utilized.

It's not clear if you tried this, but it's worth a shot and can always revert to the way it works now.

1. on laptop, remove the printer in control panel > printers & faxes. (if has cached print jobs it won't remove, you must first cancel/delete all pending print jobs)
    2. follow my earlier instructions to install the printer on laptop as a Local Printer using custom port (TCP/IP). You may need the printer's IP address, if so, you can print the networking info using the printer menu (see the manual linked in an earlier post). But best to set the printer IP to a static IP. If need help with that just ask.

If installed properly the laptop will send print jobs directly to the printer via the router, thus eliminating the desktop. If can print a test page and can print from Word you have the same functionality as have currently, but the desktop need not be ON. If cannot print from Outlook or a Web browser then the problem is likely with a Windows networking component, i.e. some Windows DLL that is corrupted.

A possible fix would to then run System File Checker to repair corrupted operating system files using the command:
    sfc /scannow

Instructions:
    Windows XP: Using the System File Checker Tool - HelpWithWindows.com

Last edited: 2016/07/02
  6. 2016/07/03
    Jimfox

TonyT, thanks again for your perseverence in this matter, & the link to System File Checker Tool. As this is our last conversation, i will say again that the 4610 is connected by cable to the Desktop. Does this not tell you that the printer is not WiFi?
    If the printer was WiFi, i would have connected directly to it, & while i have yet to go into the Desktop & explore, i have been told by BBS Moderator Mattman, who has been here & looked at the problem, the problem is in the Laptop.
    Thankyou,Conversation over.