1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista HP Pavilion Black Screen

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by virginia, 2015/03/05.

1. 2015/03/05
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member Thread Starter

Helping with subject problem. System is Vista Home Premium but problem may be appropriate for different forum. If so, I am confident one of the administrators will move this.

When you turn the laptop on, everything lights up except for the screen - nothing but black. The activity light comes on steady for about 20 - 30 seconds and then goes away and the light beside the Caps Lock starts blinking every 3 seconds - and just keeps blinking. Stuff I have tried so far - all with the same result:

• Tried a working external monitor.
    • Removed the battery, held down the power button for differing amounts of time.
    • Removed both memory sticks a replaced one at a time.
    • Checked the small battery (CR2032) but it is encased in a container and I couldn't see how it could be replaced without tearing off it's cover. So I couldn't replace it.

From what I am seeing on the internet, it appears that the problem may be in the motherboard or CPU - both beyond my capability to troubleshoot.

Any other suggestions?

2. 2015/03/05
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Do you have the product number(P/N)it should look something like this WA555UA#ABA or HP Pavilion dv2167sb Entertainment Notebook PC. P/N should be located on the bottom of the laptop. Some models built after 08-2010 will have the P/N located in the battery compartment. When was the last time you cleaned the laptop with compressed air. I have two HP Pavilion notebooks. I occasionally get that same blinking lights. I then blow the dust out of the inside of the computer. According to HP Support it's most likely related to a heat issue.

lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/03/05

When I reseated the memory I didn't notice anything significant in the way of lint, dust, hair, etc. but I did just now use compressed air on it. Didn't see anything flying around.

On the back is p/n NV213UA#ABA. Also has a serial number and the Product Key.

5. 2015/03/05

Do you have a monitor that you can use externally. If you get a picture on the external monitor than it's either the inverter or the screen. If the external monitor also displays a black screen. It could be the integrated graphics on the system board(Motherboard). Screen HP 480441-001display only or HP 501517-001 display,microphone and webcam. Both have CCFL(Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps).

Last edited: 2015/03/05
    lj50,
  6. 2015/03/05

External monitor was one of the first things I tried.

I think it is probably motherboard or CPU. The person using the laptop mainly uses it for email and a bit of surfing. I have prepared her for the worst situation and she has no problem buying a new one. I think I will just pull the hard drive and copy her documents on a spare hard drive I have and then have her get a new one. Thanks for the input.

7. 2015/03/05

You're welcome. Glad you got it figured out.

lj50,