1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved HP OMEN DVDplayer not functioning.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by BobbyScot, 2017/04/07.

1. 2017/04/16
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

HI Pete & Neil, just as well that I rechecked the Settings as at long last the DVD Player is playing as should be. Is it normal in the procedure to show full white screen of VLC start screen, second later film starts. Please accept my sincere thanks for the valuable assistance given in solving what was a giant headache.
    Nothing referring to the DVD, but I notice a Hard Drive reference Z is showing with rest of HDs. Clicking drive z, shows that I am not authorised or permitted to open the HD. As administrator, it shows a "code" is required for authority. Drive is 256 MB with 169MB free space.

2. 2017/04/18
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Is the Region of the DVD compatible for your use? I've just rechecked my DVD Player and it follows the procedure I outlined earlier.
    In answer to your question - yes that would be normal and the "Z" drive may be a Recovery partition. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/04/18
    BobbyScot

Neil, DVD region is 2 and is set as so. Referring to the Z disk drive is as you said could be "Recovery". I have showing the Recovery as (E) drive 1.28GB Free of 10.3GB. Regarding drive (Z) Unknown 169MB free of 256MB, it is on-assessable to me without the code!. Certainly regarding the DVD Player appears to be working with your help.Bobby.

5. 2017/04/18
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

OK. If Drive Z is password protected, it may be drive manufacturers or Lenovo Info that is required for the drive to operate. Good to know your DVD is working OK. ;)

6. 2017/04/19
    BobbyScot

Neil, Microsoft says HD Z is probably referring to the Boot-up and should be ignored. What are your thoughts? Referring to DVD Player, on inserting a DVD in the Player, it opens with a full white of VLC screen, is this normal?. Certainly it does not affect the playing of the movie. Bobby.

7. 2017/04/19
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Bobby - been away for Easter and do not pick up emails from WindowsBBS while away. Glad to hear that the DVD issue has been resolved.

Drive Z may well be the System Reserved partition - size is about right, but this does not generally have a drive letter and should not show in File Explorer, but Disk Management will show it. Snip from my desktop - C:\ drive is an SSD with only Windows on it .....

Attached Files:

8. 2017/04/19
    BobbyScot

Pete nice to hear you enjoyed an Easter break. DVD-Player is working fine now thank goodness, is the VLC full white screen normal at the start normal? I checked the Disk Management, notice they are 2x "C" Drives, EFI System(Boot, Page File, Crash Dump) Primary 980MB Healthy (Recovery). One of "C" drive at the top does not show the Prefix "C" but shows information details. The other "C" drive information is as normal.

9. 2017/04/19
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Yes - as a test I have set VLC to be the default for playing DVD movies and on inserting a DVD into the player a white screen briefly appears with the path to the DVD player in the top LH corner and in less than a couple of seconds the movie starts to play. What you see would appear to be normal behaviour.

I am sure that what you see in Disk Management is normal - all my systems are slightly different in terms of captioning, but none are a pure install of Windows 10 - all were upgraded from 8 or 8.1 and this may well account for the differences.

10. 2017/04/19
    BobbyScot

Pete, thanks for the information. The computer is two weeks old with Windows 10 preinstalled OS. A bought disk though I believe it now comes installed on a USB stick priced at £119 from Microsoft UK. Bobby..