1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved How to write a .bat file

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BobbyScot, 2018/06/10.

1. 2018/06/13
    jholland1964

jholland1964 Well-Known Member

I read quite a few threads there and also at HP. I wondered if one of those at Virgin might be from you. You are correct a .bat file is not the solution. Turn on the Hub, wait a couple minutes then turn on the computer.
    However, if you left the Hub on all the time this would not be a worry. I really am curious, why do you turn it off? Is this a rule or something in Scotland? Here in the U.S. we leave our modems on 24/7. or at least the majority of people leave it turned on. Just wondering.

2. 2018/06/13
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

I must not keep you wondering it could be bad for your health Sir. Not having a fast+ computer like yourself mine takes 4 minutes 16 seconds to boot up from fresh. What the majority of people do is their prerogative, mine is living on a pension, is not what a millionaire like yourself can afford. My switching modem off when not in use, has nothing to do with Scotland or indeed USA, but a personal choice. I requested on this Forum for help on this topic not to be made a fool by yourself, again I ask, stop this unnecessary commenting. I did request on HP and Virginmedia Forumsfor suggestions under a non de plume that you do not know or ever will. On these Forums, not one ever made uncalled personal remarks.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/06/13
    jholland1964

jholland1964 Well-Known Member

I am thoroughly stunned. In the 18 years I have worked on and posted on computer help forums I have never had anyone attack me for trying to give assistance with a computer problem. This is the reason I belong to forums, to offer help when I can. When I first began using a computer I received a lot of help from several forums and as I learned more then I felt I should pay it forward to others.

You claim I made personal remarks against you, I did Not. I also certainly had NO Intention of trying to make a fool of you or anyone else. I asked questions because I truly was interested in the answer. You cannot learn unless you ask questions.

F.Y.I. I am not a Sir, I am a 72 year old woman. I am not a millionaire nor even close. Do not worry, I will never ever make the mistake of offering assistance to you again.

5. 2018/06/14
    BobbyScot

Well Mam, I am mail 87.5 years old and as you say, that over the past 35 years interested in computers, found Forum members extremely helpful in assisting in solving my problems as you did in the past, thank you. My problem in this instance, was being asked rather what I took as personal, you took as of interest. It is such pity in that you have decided not ever helping me again, this to my loss. I do not and never have tried to upset and certainly not loose a helping hand. I can only hope that you will change your mind, you certainly have helped me in the past, thank you and appreciated. Bobby.

6. 2018/06/14
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Bobby, I have followed this Thread and made Posts I thought might be helpful to you.
    I have read jholland1964 Posts and I did not see any accusation that you were being a naughty Senior Citizen.
    I must apologize to jh for not taking note of the Avatar or checking her profile when I referred to her as a he.

Your Post re Phoenix software we dealt with in a previous Thread. This link may help you to control the software: HP PCs - Configuring the LED Lighting with the HP Phoenix Control Software | HP® Customer Support
    I am surprised that you still have that problem as the answer was to check OFF so that there was no problem with the LED lighting control.
    If you couldn't switch it off - the answer would be to disable in Startup or Remove from Programs and Features.
    As I recollect - many HP users were complaining that the software did not always work correctly.

I am amazed that you have the HP Omen Gaming Desktop computer which has very fast response capabilities and yet you say it takes 4 minutes 16 seconds to open to Desktop!!!
    This must/might be due in fact to your switching off the Power completely when you shut down your comp and Virgin Modem.
    I would suggest that you LEAVE the Power switched on (just for one night) and then test how long it takes for the comp to open to Desktop.
    This should give you a Benchmark for opening time and would also determine whether you continue to get the "startup messages" on your screen.

Once again, my apology to jh and I hope you don't take umbrage at my attempts to help another Senior Citizen such as myself.

7. 2018/06/15
    BobbyScot

RL thanks for interest in my old chestnut HP LED Control. Yes error still persists and does not appear in the Start in Task Manager. Best that I have at the present, is clicking PhonixCtrl icon on the desk top, this opens LED Control box that is set to "Off", clicking the top right arrow, appears to switch the LED lights at front of Computer to OFF. This certainly solves the need to having to put up with the lights changing, a distraction when working on the computer. This procedure should be automatic if set to OFF, but not at present. HP maintain that software is sufficient as is, but myself and many others disagree. Using software provided, are we all unable to do this and this may well be the case. Regards to the HUB, certainly, if I do not switch the UB OFF each time that I power down computer, then all is well. My main concern the cost, according to what I have read, the UK power suppliers, charging is highest in the world. A friend in Chile, pays £70 a year whilst my last year bill was £600 (not include heating/cooking) and unit price rises twice a year. Main cause is the clean air act and need for wind power turbines subsidies paid out to these suppliers. I am probably wrong as usually I am, that HUBs if left on can be hacked, waiting for computer power up. Thanks Bobby.
    Am I outcaste from this Forum? for upsetting jh? then indeed I have lost all these other good people who over the years have helped with my many problems, so sad indeed. It proves in this case, never ever cross especially a women, if so never will I be forgiven that is a fact. At my time of life, with all friends known to me, now departed, I can not afford to upset other friendly people.
    jh if you read this, please allow for my age and failing health and can only offer my sincere apology. Bobby.

8. 2018/06/15
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Bobby, We have the same problem in NZ with power charges. I used one power supplier for many years then changed about 3 years ago because my wife and I joined a group called Grey Power.
    This organization has managed to screw down a lot of the necessary suppliers of commodities essential to us Senior Citizens - hence the groups name of Grey Power.
    We in NZ still have electricity generated by Hydro and Geo thermal (Rotorua Geyserland) and more recently we have Wind generation. We still do have backup units which are coal powered and oil powered but not in full commission.

We use Natural gas for our heating and electricity for everything else. (lighting, cooking and water heating). I do ignore advice regarding switching off unused electrical devices and leave units on standby as if I want to use them they will fire up instantly. The only time my household appliances get switched off is when we take a holiday and will be away for at least a week. The monthly bill doesn't seem to reflect any huge savings when we do this.

Nice to see you don't get pestered by messages when you leave the power on. You are not an outcast as far as I know and at my age I know that our Senior moments can cause us problems. Cheers Neil.

9. 2018/06/16
    BobbyScot

Hello Neil, In the 1950s I contemplated to immigrating to New Zealand (North Island), however this didn't materialised, as I just couldn't bring myself in leaving my aging parents, this to this day I never regretted for the loyalty to my parents. In the UK power firms show no loyalty to long term customers or indeed us old timers. I fear not death but do going into a care home, if it can be called that. News papers regularly indeed daily report homes fined for neglect and cruelty, indeed a changed world. I found costs for keeping appliances on standby -- Fridge £80 Television £40 and even the new Smart Electric Meter £35, adding them all together can mount up over a calendar year, Scots are renowned for thrift . I enjoyed reading your post on life in New Zealand. Have a guid day, Bobby.