1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved How to stop a file opening on startup screen.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BobbyScot, 2018/01/22.

1. 2018/01/27
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

In Windows 10, under Processes (and Details), you click "End Task". I don't have Disable either. Under Startup, I do have Disable.
    Huh? Are you using auto-correct on your phone or something?

2. 2018/01/27
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

Hardly, I have no mobile phone! It is the computer's Task Manager that I am referring to.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/01/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If you open Task Manager then open Startup (4th operation from left-3rd line down from upper left of Menu) you will see a list of all the items that will open when the comp is started.
    Under the heading Status - you will see the words Enabled or Disabled being the current state of that item.
    If you RIGHT click on an item which is Enabled - a menu will open showing the option to Disable it.
    I can confirm this as correct having does this many times on my comps.

5. 2018/01/28
    BobbyScot

It appears that my computer has a different method as to what you kindly quoted.
    Rt Click bottom bar>click Task Manager>Yes>click Startup>Rt click required Program name>click Able/Disable.
    Unfortunately, Program in question was not shown in Task Manager or in Startup. Actuall Program in question is no longer installed in computer.

6. 2018/01/28
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

There are several ways to open the Task Manager in Windows 10 version 1709 ...

CTRL-SHIFT-ESC
    Right-click on Task Bar > Task Manager
    Right-click on start-button (the flag in the lower left) > Task Manager
    Click on start-button > Windows System (folder) > Task Manager

... and probably a few more.

7. 2018/01/28
    Bill

Did you go back and see if the program came back in your Startup folder? Have you scanned for malware since torrents are one of the preferred methods badguys use to distribute their malware.

8. 2018/01/28
    BobbyScot

Start up never showed the program, and checking again, there is no mention, indeed no where on the computer. Malwarebytes and McAfee, certainly have not showed any reference. I fully agree that torrents and other similar sites are renowned for breeding and distributing nasty's.

9. 2018/01/28
    Bill

Go to c:\users\yourusername\desktop (where yourusername is your username).

Is that file in that folder? If so, delete it.

10. 2018/01/28
    retiredlearner

Bobby, you did not read my Post #23 and understand it. I explained as clearly as I could HOW to generally use Startup in Task Manager.

Did you follow my suggestion in Post #11 to use ADW Cleaner to ensure there were no traces of UTorrent left in your OS?

My final suggestion to you would be to uninstall and completely clean out McAfee AV and do a Reset of your OS.
    Let the Reset utilise MS Defender as normal and see if you have the problem which seems to plague you.

I run ALL my comps (wife's included) as standard W10 operating systems. I do not use 3rd. party AV's or find the need to use a 3rd. party software for Downloads.
    I do NOT have any problems with Windows Updates which all install 100% OK.

I just received last evening the latest Windows "Insider" program build (17083.1000) on my dedicated comp without any hassles.
    This dedicated comp (like all my others) only uses Mozilla FF & TB as the only change for Browser and Email.

My suggestions are in good faith and for you to try W10 as STANDARD to see if it works without problems.
    If W10 operates OK in standard state - then you could try your UTorrent again if it is necessary.

11. 2018/01/28
    BobbyScot

I always read all posts kindly posted by all responding to my Posts. ADW was run. As I said in my reply to you, that my Task Manager layout appears to be different layout. I carried out a suggestion that I carried out to change over to Administrator, after which computer went hair wire and required a reset to a later date in which now appears that on bootup, no longer displays of my being Administrator. McAfee could be uninstalled, but have read it can be extremely hard to delete completely. Defender certainly does not carry a high rate for stopping viruses, and certainly found it to freeze frequently. What is Windows Standard?

12. 2018/01/29
    retiredlearner

I have used Defender without any problems since MSE was dropped. The reports you read are usually written by someone with an axe to grind!
    I use Defender on the basis that who better than MS would know how to protect their OS? After all - they designed it.
    The same applied in my working life in the Motor Industry. The maker of a motor vehicle would spend $'s on making sure their product was better than their competitor's.
    You wouldn't put a Renault part into a Mercedes Benz would you?

Download McAfee Removal Tool (MCPR) - MajorGeeks
    This is what you need to remove McAfee properly from your system regardless of what you have heard.
    The same applies to Symantec (Norton) you need their removal tool to completely clear your comp of any traces when uninstalling their product.

Bobby, I have W10 Pro 64bit running on 2 comps and W10 Home 64bit on my HP Notebook and W10 Pro 64bit "Insider" on my dedicated comp and Task Manager setup is identical on ALL of them
    Why you say your W10 is different is hard to understand

That is why I suggested you Reset W10 to get your system back to standard (normal - as out of the box brand new) without any 3rd party software that may cause problems.
    That way you should be able determine what may be causing your problems.

13. 2018/01/29
    jholland1964

jholland1964 Well-Known Member

One other thing, you said you uninstalled UTorrent, if it was fully removed if that were the case then it would not appear listed anywhere on the computer, unless it is listed in Services. Have you checked there?
    Based on all you have mentioned it really sounds to me like maybe taking retirelearner's suggestion
    to "Reset W10 to get your system back to standard (normal - as out of the box brand new) without any 3rd party software that may cause problems.
    That way you should be able determine what may be causing your problems"

Last edited: 2018/01/29
  14. 2018/01/29
    BobbyScot

I have for a long time now, thought on taking out all HP preinstalled software. HP software at times can give me headaches and should I experience a fault with HP software, contacting them for assistance is a complete time waster. Since April last year have tried to repair their OMEN LED Control with no success and found that HP new model has scrapped the LED lighting, showing it was a disaster from the start. So much for customers relations and satisfaction. One software that simply hates uTorrent is Malwarebytes, even with their Exclusion being setup. Windows Defender is now fully installed and running, with McAfee uninstalled using MCPR to do this. Only used McAfee as it was free with my computer, expiring in April 2018.

15. 2018/01/29
    retiredlearner

If you go to Programs and Features you will find all the HP software installed in the OS. You can usually Uninstall - Change - Repair programs within Programs and Features,
    but I would warn you to be careful and seek help before doing anything drastic.
    HP will have provided an owner manual with a new comp. I would strongly advise you to read the manual as it will explain the do's and don'ts pertaining to uninstalling any of their pre-installed software.
    You may have a HP Recovery Partition in the HDD. Instructions are provided by HP in the manual as to the use of and reasons for using the Recovery Partition (if installed).
    This is not always available on ALL HP comps so read your manual carefully.

I'm detailing this option as my HP Notebook was provided with this feature.

16. 2018/01/30
    BobbyScot

Thank you for valuable advice, noted. My computer HP OMEN, certainly had no hand book included in the box containing this computer. Computer World was approached on this matter at the time, informing me that they retailed and not the manufacturer.

17. 2018/01/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

See .....

HP Omen Manuals

18. 2018/01/30
    BobbyScot

This Manual does not mention or refer to which preinstalled software that can be safely removed. Part on checking Warranty status, carrying procedure out, HP informs me model and serial numbers are not recognised - can it be that computer sold to me is not a genuine HP Computer?

19. 2018/01/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I would think that to be extremely unlikely - never heard of 'copy' computers being sold.

View this video from HP regarding locating model and serial numbers......

How to Find the Model, Product, and Serial Number on Your HP Notebook

20. 2018/01/30
    BobbyScot

Well fact is label attached to HP computer are the numbers entered into the HP site, and as said already are "Not Recognised". What else can I say.

21. 2018/01/30
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member