1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How to divorce OneDrive from Win11 - once and for all???

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by stelliger, 2023/05/11.

1. 2023/05/11
    stelliger

stelliger Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Something I hate with a passion about Windows 11....

Hate.

Hate hate hate. Did I say hate?

That's this insistence on Windows 11 to not just be connected to my MS account, and OneDrive, but to mandatorily sync my files to the cloud!

I noticed there is no method to end syncing permanently, under the normal controls. There's an option to pause syncing, but not to end it forever. I tried "quit OneDrive," but that doesn't last. Whenever Windows updates, it gets logged back in to my MS account, and gives me the warning "files deleted anywhere are deleted everywhere" or similar.

Man - I hate that.

I don't want my files on the cloud. There are personal files I don't want uploaded, not to mention things I don't want deleted from my local computer. I didn't ask for this. I didn't sign up for this. I didn't give it permission to happen. And yet it is.

The only thing I'm thinking I must do is sign out of any and all MS accounts - but how? Whenever I sign out, it signs back in during an update. If I create a new MS account, it will just try syncing to that newly created OneDrive.

So how do I keep this from happening, even after an update?

Man - I hate this "feature."

Maybe with more knowledge, my hate will abate.

2. 2023/05/11
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Have you followed this process:
    Right click on Start > Settings > Apps > Installed Apps > scroll down to Microsoft One Drive > click on 3 dots on right side > click on Uninstall > click on OK to approve operation.
    Wait a few seconds for this happen, then close out and Restart comp?
    This will remove One Drive from your comp.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2023/05/12
    ephemarial

ephemarial Well-Known Member

If you also don’t want to use your Microsoft account set up a local account instead.
    Just search for: local account win 11 and select whichever instructions are easiest for you
    You’re not alone ;)

5. 2023/05/13
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

xrobwx71 likes this.