1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved How to delete unwanted Folder in Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by retiredlearner, 2010/02/19.

1. 2010/02/19
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

I am using Thunderbird V3.0.1 with Windows XP Pro SP3 and I have a Folder which named itself >nobody on Local Folders<
    Any ideas how to delete this entry? I searched the Mozilla site and didn't find anything there about this problem. A lot of users with annoyances and some very irate users. Neil.

2. 2010/02/19
    The Old Chief Lifetime Subscription

The Old Chief Inactive

I might not fully understand your situation But, did you try Right Clicking on the Folder and selecting Delete ???

Ray

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/02/19
    retiredlearner

Thanks for your suggestion, but that was the first option I tried and Delete does not show with a Right click. I would not be asking for help if it was that easy. Neil.

5. 2010/02/19
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

It probably comes from security software such as antivirus that scans email. These apps usually setup a virtual server using nobody at localhost and perhaps TB has detected and listed the account folder.

6. 2010/02/19
    retiredlearner

Thanks Tony for the suggestion - how do I remove it? or do I just leave sleeping dogs lie. Neil.

7. 2010/02/19
    retiredlearner

I uninstalled TB and went to Mozilla and downloaded fresh copy to Desktop. I disconnected Broadband and closed Avast and Spybot. Then opened and installed new TB. Guess what, it has a Folder called >nobody on Local Folders<.
    This appears on the left of screen under the heading of Smart Folders.
    Inbox
    Sent
    Deleted
    outbox
    Mail
    pop3.xtra.co.nz
    nobody on Local Folders
    I'm stumped as it wasn't on previous versions of TB. Neil.

8. 2010/02/20
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

To get rid of the Smart Folders account you must edit the pref.js file. You can access the editor via Tools > Options > Advanced Tab > Config button.

Search for the string:
    mail.accountmanager.accounts

There will be numbered accounts separated by commas. You will have to determine which numbered accounts are which. To do so, first backup your entire TB profile (copy it to another dir on computer). Then remove the comma and numbered account from the list in the config editor.

Start with the last numbered account. If no joy, edit it back to original and remove a different numbered account, repeating until joy is obtained.

Even if uninstall TB version 3.x and go to an earlier version, the Smart Folders will remain.

I had this issue when I tested TB 3.x. But I have 11 separate accounts in TB and it took me a bit of time to remove the Smart Folders account after I rolled back to a TB 2.x version because I don't like TB 3.x (why tabs in an email client?)

Anyway, another user here at windowsbbs had a similar issue as shown in this thread.

Also, you can change the View in the folder pane by clicking on the arrow at top right corner of the pane. The views are:
    All Folders
    Smart Folders
    Recent Folders
    Favorite Folders
    Unread Folders

Last edited: 2010/02/20
  9. 2010/02/20
    retiredlearner

Thanks Tony will give it a go after golf. Neil.

10. 2010/02/20
    retiredlearner

For anyone following this thread, I have eliminated the dreaded Nobody on Local Folder.
    I had a look at derfsch's Thread regarding Smart Folders, and went to Config Editor and had a look at the entries.
    I had TB version2.0 re-installed and decided nothing ventured - nothing gained and did the following:
    Every entry that had Nobody in it > Right Click > Left click > Modify > then click at the end of the string in the box > Backspace > and removed to the double forward slashes > click OK. When I finished I closed out and TB still worked. I closed and Re-Booted the comp and opened TB again - Nobody on Local Folder was gone.
    I then Downloaded TB version3.0 again and installed with Custom install. When it installed it asked whether I wanted the old tool bar and old folders setup. I clicked on Alternative and closed Tabs and all's sweet. No sign of Nobody on Local Folder.
    I then checked > Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Config Editor > a large box comes up with warning about Dragons inside-Be careful > click Promise to be careful > and there is no sign of Nobody in any of the strings. > OK'ed out.
    Another happy TB user again. Sorry about the long Post, but if anyone felt as frustrated as I was because I didn't want "Smart Folders" try this method of removal. Cheers Neil.:D:D:D

11. 2010/02/22
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Good job!

12. 2010/03/27
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

I'm glad to know that there's someone else who doesn't like TB 3.x. I just hope they keep supporting 2.x, as that's the version I intend to stay with.

13. 2010/03/28
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I have no problems with the alleged "Smart" folders, nor noticed anyone named nobody. Whatever they are, they do not cause any harm. But, I will summarize the reasons why v.3.x is undesirable.
    1.If the accounts were derived from 2.x, there is no problem, but if any new account must be created, I noticed that TB3.x wants to set up the account based on the e-mail address, and for Cox as an ISP, it fails, giving not existent servers. So, I must enter the values manually. TB3.x insists in setting up, incorrectly, one SMTP/account, so I have to change to the default SMTP. There is no requirement to use the specific username, with Cox.
    2. TB 3.x marks mail to be deleted as "unread ", and only then it will delete it, making the operation slow.
    3. TB3.x is sluggish, at best, and the 3.1 nightlies are even worse. They do not download new mail, automatically, as selected, requiring an extra click on Get Mail for two-three accounts. Then, 3.1 decides that it is ready to download the rest of the accounts. Having nine accounts, it is irritating, at best.
    Like JIM, I am using 2.0.0.24 as default, 3.0.3 to see how bad it is, in comparison, and I stopped testing 3.1.
    I reported all the above to the developers, but nothing has happened.