1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved How to completely remove and start over with Firefox?

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by basketcase, 2021/08/10.

1. 2021/08/10
    basketcase Contributing Member

basketcase Well-Known Member Thread Starter

After one of the recent updates, I opted to try themes in Firefox. The change immediately messed up my view in an automotive forum where I read regularly. So much so, that I switched to Brave for most of my browsing.

That noted, there are some things I like better about Firefox, but the usual uninstall and reinstall steps don't restore it.

Rather, I get a message that says (in effect) "we see that you have reinstalled Firefox."

I've done this now three times, and the refresh option they suggest does not do the trick, either.

So how can I completely clean old Firefox residue off the machine and start with an "as new" install?

Thanks in advance!

2. 2021/08/10
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

This is what I would try, there are two links that may be helpful:

How do I find my profile

When you have located the correct profile folder (should there be more than one) you can copy the files in it for the bookmarks (places.sqlite) the favicons (favicons.sqlite) and the logins (logins.json) if you want to reuse them.

Finding your profile without opening Firefox

This is an alternative route if Firefox doesn't run.

When you have copied whichever files you want to reuse, uninstall Firefox. Go back and delete all the profile folders you found. (If I remember correctly, there is the option to get Firefox to delete the profile folders but I'm not sure all will get deleted, should there be more than one.) Finally, reinstall Firefox, find the profile folder and if you want to do so, copy the above files back.

I hope it works ... ;) ... !

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2021/08/10
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

5. 2021/08/12

Thanks men. My recollection is that I've done some of those, but I'm not sure I've tried all of the steps.

I've been out of town and will get back on the chore later today.

6. 2021/08/12

Well ... still no luck. I completely uninstalled, and reinstalled, and the automotive forum is still not showing up correctly on my desktop.

It has something to do with colors and themes, but I can't get it to reset to the original stuff.

Can I copy the profile info from from the Mozilla profile on say, my laptop, and fix it that way?

7. 2021/08/12
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

8. 2021/08/12
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Sorry.....Have to ask.... Most forums and even WindowsBBS has a Color/Theme option. Are you sure that isn't what changed?

9. 2021/08/12

Thanks. The verbiage at the links look promising.

I regularly use two desktops and a laptop, and Firefox is not working properly on one of the desktops. I'm going to try copying the files from the one that is working to the one that is not and see what happens.