1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved How to change Denied Access.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BobbyScot, 2018/01/14.

1. 2018/01/18
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

Tried PeteC File Explorer search. This ran for ages, turning out hundreds of Files, PDFs etc, some dating back to 2013 (prior to this Computer). Problem is are listed Files needed or can they be deleted? and how? Files in question for my search were not shown in listed search.

2. 2018/01/18
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Only you can decide if your files are useful or should be deleted. Do you need to store info for others or do you need to do a major clean up?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/01/18
    BobbyScot

None of the files shown appear to be important and probably hoarding HD space. Can files be deleted as one individual? As it is hundreds are current, individually deletion will take ages.

5. 2018/01/18
    retiredlearner

I haven't had to do that exercise yet but if the files are all in one partition on the HDD - you could probably delete the whole partition in one go.
    Pete may be able to advise you better on this subject.

6. 2018/01/19
    BobbyScot

I am the sole user of computer and not connected to any appliance other than a printer.

7. 2018/01/19
    BobbyScot

Try to deleting the files, prompts that Access Denied.

8. 2018/01/19
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

It would appear that you ignored my suggestion in post #19 which was .....
    Had you done that you would not have ended up with a list of ....

I don't know what your Search criteria was, i.e.what you typed in the Search Box, but I suspect that you effectively searched for ALL files on the computer (and if an external drive was plugged in and powered up on that drive too), in which case it is highly likely that some, if not all of the OS files are included in the list. Hence deleting en masse at this stage could well result in the computer becoming inoperable. If you have files on the computer with dates prior to purchasing this PC I can only assume that you ether restored files from an external back up to the computer when new or made the search with an external drive connected as noted above.

From you last post, received while I was typing this reply, regarding Access Denied, if you are indeed Administrator on the PC then that message should not be flagged up. If you go to Settings > Accounts > Your Info are you listed as Administrator?

However a possible solution is given here .....

How to fix 'Access Denied' folder errors on Windows 10

In terms of the apparent inability of IE11 to download files I would try using another browser, e.g. Firefox and see if the situation remains the same re. downloads.

I am of the opinion that in some way or another you have completely messed up the computer and to resolve this issue you should seriously consider restoring the computer to the state in which it left the factory using the restore function, details of which will be given in the computer manual. This will wipe the drive so it is essential to back up your data files to an external drive and to ensure that you have the software available to reinstall your apps - any that you downloaded should also be backed up to save downloading them again.

This may well be my last post in this thread as I am departing imminently on a trip abroad and will not be logging onto WindowsBBS while I am away.

9. 2018/01/19
    BobbyScot

PeteC, Have a safe journey and may you be back soon with your expertise on computers. Checking accounts, I note that my picture and wording Administrator is current. Changing to Administrator could the be main factor of computer becoming unstable. Many thanks for interest and help given.

10. 2018/01/19
    retiredlearner

Bobby, you list 4 Storage devices on your Profile Page.
    (1) Are these additional to the 1TB HDD in your HP Omen computer?
    (2) Do you have ALL your storage devices connected at once to your computer?
    (3) Are they all USB 2.0 externally connected?
    (4) Are they self-powered?
    (5) Do you know exactly what is stored in each device?
    Please answer these questions individually.

11. 2018/01/19
    BobbyScot

1. Yes.
    2. No, only when needed.
    3. All HDs are 3.0. external.
    4. USB powered.
    5. Yes. Hardware file. Photos. Windows 10. (Internal C. Drive). Copies of software.

Last edited: 2018/01/19
  12. 2018/01/20
    retiredlearner

I can only suggest that you Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > and uninstall any recent software you have added to the OS. (make a note of the software first -copy titles - so that you can install again)
    Then follow Pete's instruction to Restore to a date before the trouble began.
    Make sure you don't have any peripherals connected other than mouse and keyboard.

13. 2018/01/21
    BobbyScot

Thanks for suggestions, appreciated. Only Windows 10 updates at start of the month apply.