1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

how to backup recycle bin files

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by solquest, 2019/07/02.

Tags:
  1. 2019/07/02
    solquest

solquest Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello.
    I've done a massive delete of files on a shared windows server 2012 pc, moving them into Recycle bin.
    At the moment I'm checking if I have deleted too many things, so I'd like to backup the recycle bin in case someone else empty it before I've done all my checks.

I've looked around but I've only found ways for restoring files from recycle bin, while I want only to save in another folder all the files that are already there (and possibily also with the original path (in case I have to restore them after someone emptied the recycle bin).

Is there a way (maybe via cmd or in another way) for doing this?
    Thanks!

2. 2019/07/02
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

(original path will get overwritten when copying or moving files)

You may be able to copy C:\$Recycle.Bin using command prompt as admin.

Or the simple method:
    Create a new folder with a unique name > select all files in the Recycle Bin > drag the selected files to the new folder. Delete when overall task is complete.

Last edited: 2019/07/02

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2019/07/02
    solquest

Thanks.
    But I actually do need the original path (even if just saved in a txt file), cause if I find out I deleted that file for error, I need to know where to restore it.
    The point is:
    I had to check 2176972 files and to delete some of them (with some logic). So I've done it using a cmd (and it deleted 481838 of them).
    Now I'm checking if everything went ok and the cmd didn't delete too many thing, but I'm scared that someone empty the recycle bin before I finish.

5. 2019/07/02
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

put a sticky note on the screen "Don't empty recycle bin".

virginia and MrBill like this.
  6. 2019/07/03
    solquest

Hi again.
    I've tried to drag & drop files from recycle bin into another folder.
    The problem is that in this way I'm moving them away from recycle bin and if I put them back in it, the original location is that temporary folder...
    I've found a way (with powershell) to save file name and original location, so now I only have to copy (not cutting) files from recycle bin...