1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How do you deal with SPAM??

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by silverwork, 2004/08/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/08/17
    AccuSpam

AccuSpam Inactive

With all respect, I understood that. With complete respect, I think perhaps you misunderstand my point.

To better understand my point, let's compare two scenarios:

1. You filter your beloved email address with AccuSpam. You use your beloved email address for all internet needs (online purchasing, etc). You add your close friends to Approved Senders. All (100%!) your spam gets caught by AccuSpam, 90+% of it gets deleted, the other 10% arrives summarized by sender and subject daily as a **SINGLE EMAIL** (which you can quickly delete as it is only 1 email). As AccuSpam usership increases towards 10,000, we predict the 90% heads towards 99%, and the 10% heads towards 1%. But always 100% spam removed from Inbox (see caveats in AccuSpam.com FAQ).

2. You give your beloved email address only to your close friends. You create a 2nd email address (e.g. Yahoo) for the rest of your internet needs. Now all your spam goes into your Yahoo mailbox, most of it in the spam folder, some it in your Yahoo Inbox, and some of your legit email in your spam folder.

Which is better?

They are almost the same. In both cases, the Inbox of your beloved email address is 100% absent of spam.

The difference is mainly an evaluation which anti-spam is more efficient. You are still right back to analyzing the efficiency of the anti-spam. The efficiency is whether spend more time wading through misclassified spams or legit email in Yahoo, then you do in AccuSpam, or vice versa.

With the AccuSpam solution, you only have to maintain one beloved email address. And with the AccuSpam solution, if ever one your beloved email address gets hit with spam, you already protected and your close friends do not have to change the email address they use to email you.

Sorry but my logic is often so non-linear that others often do not follow how I get from point A to point B. Hope that example makes it more clear.

This whole privacy thing is a comfy pillow with ticking timebomb inside imho, because it is false sense of security. Think about the scenario when Arie and/or Fred get an email virus which starts emailing you from their computer(s) without their permission. I realize that isn't too likely, but the point is that we are always vulnerable to spam and email viruses, less use on one email address, and more use on another email address, can divert some risk to another email address, but the total risk is same (unless you reduce your activity on the whole) and the beloved address is completely unprotected.

So in way, it is worse, in the way that any false sense of security is worse. Think of before and after 9/11 as a horrible analogy.

Even AccuSpam's Approved Sender list will be vulnerable to that, but we have a potential solution coming.

So my point is I do not want to rely on any one ( "close friends ", etc) to do anything special ( "educate them to use Bcc ", "remind them when they forget ", etc), I do not want to remember to do one set of things with one email address and another set with another, and I do not want to change email addresses when a spammer decides I should.

I want control over my own communication on my own terms. You have to stand an fight spam at some node. You can fight it in Yahoo if prefer. Is Yahoo better anti-spam?

Last edited: 2004/08/17
  2. 2004/08/20
    AccuSpam

AccuSpam Inactive

Now you can read the specific limitations of SenderID which AccuSpam proposes to solve:

AccuSpam has announced it's superior proposal for anti-forgery, called SenderKeys(tm):

This directly competes with DomainKeys from Yahoo, SenderID (aka CallerID) from Microsoft, and SPF from Pobox.com.

AccuSpam had promised this long ago in the debate about .mail TLD at ICANN.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/08/20
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

I love the irony in using the same technology that had bombarded us with spam, giving it a twist, and turning it on the spammers. LOL

Best of luck, Shelby- you've put a lot of work into this, it ought to be a winner.

Johanna

5. 2004/08/21
    AccuSpam

AccuSpam Inactive

Hi Johanna

That is very succinct and clear way of putting it. May we quote you by your WindowsBBS username with above snippet?

Obviously you can not guarantee our success, you are just liking the irony of the concept. It gives me great pleasure when someone is astute enough to notice that irony.

Thanks for the well wishes.

-Shelby

6. 2004/08/23
    AccuSpam

AccuSpam Inactive

SenderKeys Anti-Forgery proposal drastically improved and now has discussion list:

http://www.accuspam.com/senderkeys.php

It can now optionally be implemented entirely at the MTA (mail server) level without requiring MUA upgrades!

It now depends on (any one of) the 3 major anti-forgery proposals, so it will be seen as less of a threat to them and more complementary.

7. 2004/08/26
    yourbuddy

yourbuddy Inactive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.