1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved How do I remove Search-privacy from Firefox

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by larsonjean, 2017/02/19.

1. 2017/02/19
    larsonjean

larsonjean Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I always search from Google search but the last couple of days when I search I get instead of Google Search I get a window that I hate that says Search-Privacy.
    I have tried to search the internet but nothing seems to remove it. Please help so I can go back to just Google Search.

Thank you.

2. 2017/02/19
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Search Privacy is a browser hijacker malware.
    Download and run this tool:
    AdwCleaner

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/02/19
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

5. 2017/02/19
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Do note that many consider Search-Privacy as unwanted at best, and malicious at worst. I agree with Tony and consider it malicious - if for no other reason than it secretly installs itself and provides no easy means of uninstalling.

You likely got this by downloading and installing some other software product, and most likely choosing the default install options. When ever, as in EVER SINGLE TIME you install a new program (or even update an old program) ALWAYS select the custom install option. NEVER the default install option. Then read each page carefully to opt-out of any extras the developers want to foist on your system.

Note this practice (installing extras) is common with free programs as a means for the developer to feed and shelter their families. But most of the time, these extras, which may include extra programs, toolbars, new search engines, or changed home pages, are annoying but harmless. But some are much worse.

In addition to the above suggestions, I would also suggest resetting Firefox and every other browser you have installed that is similarly infected.

Then from this point on, make sure you always choose the custom install option. If a program does not provide one, cancel the installation, delete the download, and pick a competing product.

Bill,
  6. 2017/03/23
    larsonjean

larsonjean Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm so sorry that I didn't answer sooner. I usually received an email when someone responded and since I didn't, I did manage to figure out how to get rid of the problem. I then