1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How best to clear history and cache

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by Luckyfish, 2002/05/14.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/05/20
    Antony

Antony Inactive

Luckyfish,

If you really want to try the new standard supported browser, I would borrow <b>hb</b>'s sentences.... (from Netscape Newsgroup)
    * I am not allowed to advertise here.

In other words, Netscape 6.xx Mail is still not recommended.

2. 2002/05/20
    Luckyfish

Luckyfish Inactive Thread Starter

Okay Ramona and Antony:

Now I am really confused. Ramona...you were telling me to archive my 4.7 mail. I was going to respond that it SHOULDN'T be necessary because I moved all my folders over to 6.2 (after a lot of confusion).

If Antony suggests using 6.2 for browser only....that means I need to put stuff back to 4.7 (all new messages I've received), right??? I've heard of this stand-alone browser before (I think from one of Ramona's posts), but thought that I would try to use 6.2 COMPLETELY, then uninstall 4.7.

Here's my question...what do you two recommend and use?

Thanx a bunch! Luckyfish :confused:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/05/20
    Antony

Antony Inactive

Luckyfish,

I was trying to give you some suggestions that we don't recommend using Netscape 6.2.x Mail yet.

The choice is yours. If you want to use Netscape 6.2.x for Mail, go ahead. However from other consideration, it may not be a very wise choice because of your computer. (Sorry to say that, but I do recommend you consider getting a new computer in next year or so.)
    Now, If you decide to stay with NS6.x for Mail, try to reduce the cache space used by Netscape (from Preferenc), and you will be all right.
    If you want to move back to NS 4.79, think again before you doing that. (I don't recommend it)

If I were you, I will use Mozilla 1.0 RCx instead OR wait till Mozilla 1.0 come out, and use Mozilla 1.0's Mail.

(The Mail/News in Mozilla 1.0 rcxx has been reported better than Netscape 6.2.x's but still not yet.)

5. 2002/05/20
    Luckyfish

Thanx for tips, Antony...I really do appreciate them!! I've ALWAYS used Netscape as my browser, and Messenger for my mail. Isn't Mozilla part of Netscape 6.2? You said that Mozilla 1.0 RCx is the 'stand-alone' version? Is that what I use for my mail, too? Should I download and try before switching entirely?

Thanx again! Luckyfish:rolleyes:

6. 2002/05/20
    Antony

Antony Inactive

Netscape 6.2 is based on Gecko layout engine which is from Mozilla.org
    Newer Mozilla releases are called Mozilla 1.0 RCx now.
    Mozilla is not a stand-alone browser (by default).

You can, use Mozilla 1.0 RCx replacing your Netscape 6.2.x.
    Always try before you make your decision. (You might want to create a new profiel for Mozilla to use, OR you can use your current NS6.2.x profile, there should not be any problems.)

7. 2002/05/20
    Luckyfish

Antony:

Thanx for info. I was lost when I went to Mozilla.org--never really saw Mozilla 1.0 RCx. Saw a bunch of stuff about 'testing' and 'working out the bugs'. Could you please tell me the exact location to find the download? Even when I google searched, I couldn't find.

Thanx again! Luckyfish :)

8. 2002/05/20
    Antony

Antony Inactive

Just go to

http://mozilla.org/releases/

You should get the one in gray background said "Microsoft Windows (95,98,ME,NT,2000,XP)" and it should be 9.8MB.

9. 2002/05/20
    Luckyfish

Antony:

I hope I got the right one. It said 1.0.0.2002051008. I think it is pretty cool so far. Thank you!

If I like this after a few days, should I uninstall Netscape 4.7 and 6.2?

thanx again! Luckyfish :p

10. 2002/05/20
    Antony

Antony Inactive

That should be the one.

If you like it and decide to use it, get your profile access from Mozilla first, and see if all working as expected. Then test it for another while before you delete Netscape 4.7 and 6.2.

You might want to hold it until Mozilla 1.0 (not the Release Candidates)

11. 2002/05/21
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Luckyfish,

Ramona...you were telling me to archive my 4.7 mail. I was going to respond that it SHOULDN'T be necessary because I moved all my folders over to 6.2 (after a lot of confusion).

You asked:

What about all those mail files and folders in 4.7. Should I take those out (delete) for more room, since they are now in 6.2? That would give me considerable more room, wouldn't it?

I was answering your question. Giving you a way to conserve space on your HD, and at the same time retain your messages in the event you lose your Mail in Netscape 6.2.3.

Ramona :D

12. 2002/05/21
    Luckyfish

Ramona:

I still don't understand what you are trying to tell me. A few days ago, you told me how to back up my profile folder, which held all my mail folders, etc.

My question still remains...why would I back up 4.7 profile and mail, if I back up 6.2 profile and mail? 6.2 holds all of my 4.7 mail (you helped me move it all over). My hope was that I could uninstall 4.7 and make room on my system, if 6.2 worked well enough.

Antony suggested Mozilla 1.0 RCx. I really like it...I think. Still wondering about removing all of the 4.7 stuff (since 6.2 is backed-up...).

I appreicate your advice..just wondering if was necessary to back up 4.7 since 6.2 had the same info and was already backed up.

Luckyfish ;)

13. 2002/05/21
    Ramona

Hi Luckyfish,

I think I have explained this to you several times, but I was trying to be subtle (hint to the wise). ;)

You are using two browsers with known instability in the Mail and News programs.

If you uninstall Communicator, or delete your Communicator Mail without a backup, what happens if you lose your Mail in either Netscape 6 or Mozilla 1.0? Especially considering that you have such large Mail files.

14. 2002/05/21
    Luckyfish

I have already created a file called 'back up' which you advised me to do several days ago (you helped me do it...remember I had difficulty with my space until I created more space??).

Therefore, isn't my backup already there? I backed up 6.2, not communicator, but 6.2 already had all of my 4.7 files in them (you helped me do this about a week ago).

I just don't want to be redundant, since space was my main issue. :confused:

Thanx. Luckyfish

15. 2002/05/21
    Ramona

Luckyfish,

Yes, I remember helping you back up. I also remember this happening:

Everything finally jumped over from 4.7. The only problem is that I lost everything from my 6.2 inbox

I am perhaps ultra conservative when it comes to backing up, and I would want a backup of both Profiles (4.x and 6.x). Since HD space is an issue, and you have no external means of backing up, and you feel that one backup is sufficient, then I think we are both chasing our tails.

Cheers!

16. 2002/05/21
    Antony

Antony Inactive

Luckyfish,

If you are really happy with the Mail function in Mozilla 1.0 RCx, then go ahead and use it, wait until Mozilla 1.0 has released then uninstall NS4.7 or 6.2

Just remember to create backups from time to time.

17. 2002/05/21
    Luckyfish

Thanx for suggestion, Antony. The only complaint I have so far is that I wish the mail icon in my tray was an envelope or something. It's too confusing when they are all geckos! Guess they'll fix this in the long run. BTW, how long till the long run (regular version available)....if you have an idea??

Luckyfish ;)

18. 2002/05/21
    Ramona

I can fix it... yes I can!

Hi Luckyfish,

As "Bob the Builder" says, We can fix it, yes we can! If you don't have toddlers around you don't know "Bob ". :)

So... you want an envelope instead of the Komoto Dragon in your Quick Tray? Here's how...

Step One:

Go to Start|Programs|Netscape Communicator|Netscape Messenger

Right click "Netscape Messenger" and drag it to your Quick Tray
    Select: Create shortcut here

Step Two:
    Right click the Icon and select: Properties
    Click on the Shortcut tab

In the Target space, delete the existing target line and enter the path to Mozilla. If you're concerned about a typo, then copy and paste the bolded target lines below:

"C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe" -mail
    NOTE: there is a space between .exe" and -mail: mozill.exe "_-mail

In the Start in: space delete the existing target line and enter the path to Mozilla:

"C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla "

Click Apply and OK.

Step Three:
    Right Click the Icon and select: Rename
    Type the new name: MozMail or whatever you wish
    Test the new Icon to see if it is working correctly

You should be in business now!

You can also download some cool icons at these two sites:

http://grayrest.com/moz/resources/icons.shtml
    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/icons.html

Last edited: 2002/05/21
  19. 2002/05/21
    Antony

Antony Inactive

Ramona,

Are we competing for the only customer here, Luckyfish?

20. 2002/05/22
    Luckyfish

Ramona:

Thanx for the cool icon tips--I'm getting educated by the minute!!

I don't know Bob personally (my oldest turns 11 tomorrow), but wish I did...I could sure use some help around here (divorced 3 years ago...)! lol

My question...will this put the icon on the page (like when I minimize it). I don't think I have it in my Quick Tray (that's the stuff on the right, right?). The only stuff there (on the right) is my PC-Cillin (virus), ZoneAlarm, and Ad-Aware.

You said drop Messenger into QuickTray. Okay....stupid question of the day...once again....Is this Mozilla Mail Netscape Comminicator/Messenger? I thought it wasn't related to Netscape...I knew that 6.2 was (the browser part). Please forgive my stupidity...

Antony...as you can see....I need ALL the help I can get!!

:p Luckyfish

21. 2002/05/22
    Ramona

Hi Luckyfish,

Well, no competition when it comes to Antony, as he is the "King of Netscape "! ;)

I hope that I haven't thoroughly confused you. The Quick Tray in Windows 98 is in the lower left corner. You create the icon before you put it in the Quick Tray. That's what the above instructions are for.

You said you wished that you had the Mail Envelope Icon in your tray instead of the Mozilla icon.

O.K., the instructions are for using the Netscape envelope icon.... then inserting the path to Mozilla Mail instead of Communicator Mail.

Don't worry about it if it is too confusing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.