1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Home Network Dilemma

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by Ebmm, 2015/12/19.

1. 2015/12/19
    Ebmm

Ebmm Member Thread Starter

I have recently installed a Linux Samba file server on my home network. All is well with it. The issue I'm having is my one Win 10 machine is seeing itself, the other Win 10 machine, the router and the Linux. This machine (the other Win 10) only sees itself and the other Win 10 machine. All "obvious" settings seem to be correct.

Any ideas?

Thx so much in advance.

Ebmm,
  2. 2015/12/19
    Ebmm

I discovered that SMB file sharing was off in windows features yet that has not resolved the issue. To my surprise, no change.

Ebmm,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/12/19
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Ebmm, It might pay to give more detail regarding - How many comps/machines are actually on your network.
    I cannot answer your question, but more clarification would enable others more conversant with Networks to help you. Neil.

5. 2015/12/19
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Check if you have selected "Public Network" in LAN connection. If it's Public, file sharing & network discovery is turned off by default.

6. 2015/12/19
    Ebmm

Two Win 10, one Linux Mint 17.2 (file server/Samba), one router. Now, for some mysterious reason, niether Win machine is seeing the router or the Linux yet earlier the one Win 10 was seeing (and cooperating) with all while the other was not. What I don't get is now nothing from either Win 10 and no settings were altered. Only a movie watched from the Linux, streamed to 1 Win 10 machine via network. After the movie had ended, so did the connection. Nothing was touched on the Linux or the router either.

Ebmm,
  7. 2015/12/19
    Ebmm

rsinfo, both Win 10 machines are set Private networks and discovery/file sharing is on.

Ebmm,
  8. 2015/12/19
    Ebmm

I just noticed that my background slideshow had synced between the 2 Win 10 machines. Could it have synced other network related settings? If so, sync is now off until I get this figured out and I suppose it's back to the original question of why the one Win 10 machine wasn't seeing the Linux or the router (which they both now don't).

Ebmm,
  9. 2015/12/19
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Can you ping the Linux machine from Win10 ? Could you use the IP address of Linux machine to get access ?

10. 2015/12/20
    Ebmm

I can ping (4 packets sent, 4 received, 5ms) but I cannot connect via IP address; through browser or CMD.

Ebmm,
  11. 2015/12/20
    Ebmm

Update: I re-installed Samba on the Linux machine and now the one Win 10 is seeing everything, including router; same as originally at the start of thread (what seeing the router has to do w/ samba on the Linux, don't know). The other Win 10 is still seeing only itself and the other Win 10 only.

I'm back to being half-way there.......:confused:

12. 2015/12/20
    Ebmm

I've discovered the issue, not the resolve though. It's not that the one Win 10 machine is unable to view the Samba network, it's that the two Win 10 machines can't at the same time. It's one or the other. Both Win machines share the same MS account. Same email and account name. The two have different computer names but the same user. Could this be the issue and if so, what can a I do as both Win machines need to remain on the same account.

13. 2015/12/20
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

You'll need to use Local Accounts on each Windows comp, e.g. local accounts logon with a username and optional password. Use 2 different usernames.

Or if feel you must use MS accounts instead of local, then create a new MS account to use on one of the comps.

It's beyond me why anyone would not use a local account on a laptop or a desktop. Makes sense on a tablet or phone, but not on desktops or laptops. Any email and apps can be accessed and used when use a local account.