1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Hiding email address

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by WayneH, 2006/04/28.

1. 2006/05/17
    eltektech

eltektech Inactive

Any chance your XP user name is same as your email address?

username = wayneh
    email add = wayneh@isp.com

Then the cookie will give your name away to spammers?

2. 2006/05/17
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Mine is.

But I have added some numbers in the mix too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: Correction, I misunderstood the question...My user name is different from my e-mail address.

(I tried to delete this post, but I couldn't find a way)

Last edited: 2006/05/17

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/05/17
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

James Martin-
    That is the way (in Outlook Express) to see and copy the whole header in order to report it.
    But do not hold your breath. I have tried SpamCop and similar sites for years. It does not do any good.
    To whom are you planning to make the report? I have been using this procedure to report spam to my email service provider. You have to learn the email address to use for this. Only the email provider can tell you that.

Last edited: 2006/05/18
  5. 2006/05/17
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I've never tried it with OE, but I have expanded full headers in my Yahoo account. After copying the IP address, I would open a new web page to Geek Tools, paste the IP address in the box and click ok. That would give me an abuse e-mail address (usually) of the spammers ISP.

I would then forward the spam letter (as inline text) to the abuse address that Geek Tools pulled up.

Don't know what effect it had, as ISP's don't usually report there investigation results. Actually, I might have opened my Yahoo address to more spam? :rolleyes:

Just felt like I had to try something though. Maybe I succeeded in shuting a few down for a while. :D

6. 2006/05/17
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

For those who use Zone Alarm and whose curiosity gets the best of them, you can view the contents of an email without any info being exchanged with the outside world by first right clicking on the on the ZA icon in the system tray and choose "engage internet lock ". Then open the email. Nothing gets in, nothing gets out. ;)

It may be that other third party firewalls have a similar feature, I don't know. I haven't had enough experience with them to know.

7. 2006/05/17
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

My System Suite firewall (Sygate) has a block all function similar to what you are talking about. Never thought about using it in that matter though, but it sounds like a good idea.

Ever since I switched over to XP Home w/SP2, I have noticed that OE6 has an extra security feature built-in to it. If an e-mail comes in HTML, OE6 will block the images from downloading, unless I click on a bar that pops up.

I presume that this feature will enable a person to view the e-mail without giving away their address?

8. 2006/05/17
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Not trying to persuade you to a different email client.... :D
    Thunderbird is extremely effective / efficient in moving known/suspicious emails to "Junk" folder. Once in Junk folder, said emails are denied contact with any server. If you have a new email of unknown origin / concern (in your Inbox), 2 clicks moves it to Junk folder for review (you can open email without any reporting / verifying to sender server). One more click and you have classified as Junk/Not Junk. Background security and filters automatically managed by program. Also has Anti-Phishing Protection and additional security features.

9. 2006/05/18
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

James Martin--
    The problem with that is deciding which of the usually several "From" addresses on the spam header is the real one. There are techniques for trying to figure that out, but they are pretty complicated.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,929898,00.asp
    And my experience was that usually I reached an abuse address in Poland or Nigeria (etc.), which at best did not respond or resulted in a "Mail could not be delivered" message. And at worst probably told the spammer that my email address was a live prospect for more spam.
    Even that assumes the spammer kept the same address for a long enough time.

10. 2006/05/18
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Reporting a spammer is of little value because:
    1. most spam has forged ir non-standard headers
    2 is routed or sent via domain services specifically used for bulk mail
    3. reported spam requires manual labor on the part of system admins who do not want extra work.
    4. there is no real 100% effective solution to spam anyway.

Because of the Outlook Preview Pane issues I switched to Courier Email several years ago. Courier too has a Preview Pane BUT the user can set the program to display ALL messages in plain text & if one desires to view the message as HTML then one just clicks a button on the toolbar.

Thus one instantly sees ALL the text in a message w/out having to make 6 clicks as in Outlook. Also, it takes just 2 clicks to view the short or full header.

Also, Courier address book is IMMUNE to those mass mailing worms & viruses!

Courier is owned by the same folks that provide you with these forums.

Get Courier here: (And it's now FREE!!!!!)
    http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/courier/

11. 2006/05/18
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Thanks for the Courier link! I'll check it out.

I learned about Geek Tools from Yahoo Help. Wasn't sure if it would do any good, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway.

I got tired of the reporting routine...I never saw a reduction in spam for my efforts either.

I think it's best to just delete the stuff and not give the spammer the time of day.