1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Having trouble setting security on my new WindowsBBC mail box.

Discussion in 'Site Comments & Suggestions' started by loonychoons, 2008/02/13.

1. 2008/02/13
    loonychoons Lifetime Subscription

loonychoons Inactive Thread Starter

Hi Guys: I usually try and follow all the BBS rules, but I am having great difficulty in trying access and use this one from Arie. My son Richard "who has more computer knowledge than I have, tried to help." He had no better luck installing this security step than I did.

He tried to follow the instructions below. Unfortunately, something is not working for him. If he set the connection to SSL ... for either the windowsbbs.com or the www.infinisource.com server.... it "times out" before it connects, and if he clicks on "use authentication" He gets a message saying "mail server does not support authentication ".It seems to work fine if we select "Never" for "Use Secure Connection" and do not click the Use Secure Auth. box.He has tried several combinations.... the above is the only one that works for either infinisource or windowsbbs.

P.S. I do not have or use "Outlook Express" I have "Mozilla Firefox ", but that should not be a problem? Should it? ???? My Mistake change that to " Mozilla Thunderbird" ????

RULE from Arie:
    When you want to use SSL for your email, you should make sure to set your
    incoming & outgoing mail server to the address "www.infinisource.com" That is namely the name on the security certificate, so your email client will not complain about the security certificate not being correct. May I strongly suggest you use secure connections when checking your email? If you check your email without a secure connection, your login & password will be send in clear text, so anyone monitoring your Internet connection *anywhere* between you and our server could 'catch' your login details & use it to break into your email account. I really have to *insist* you only use secure connections when you are using Wi-Fi, especially if you use it at public and/or semi-public (hotel) places.Please note that the secure mail ports are: 995 for the incoming (POP3)server, and 465 for the Outgoing (SMTP) server. For more information on setting your connection to use SSL, check your email client's help file.

I hope that I have posted this in the proper portion of the Bulletin Board ?

Thanks loonychoons Lenny Chowns

Last edited: 2008/02/14
  2. 2008/02/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Firefox is a browser - what is your emailer?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/02/14

Don't get old, What was I thinking?

Sorry , PeteC, of course it's a Browser, I should have said, "Mozilla Thunderbird" Thanks loonychoons

5. 2008/02/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

No problem - I know the feeling well :D

I've moved your thread to the Netscape/Mozilla forum as it's a Thunderbird issue.

6. 2008/02/14
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Hi there. I had been visiting Owen Sound every summer. Did not quite make it to Parry Sound.

As for your your issue, it appears that you are trying to access this site, from Mail, i.e. as a newsgroup. I have never, even known that it was possible to do it. You would have to have the server settings to do that.
    I, always, access this site from Firefox, SeaMonkey, or any other browser.
    This website should get you into the Netscape/Mozilla newsgroup.
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=5
    All you need to do is to allow cookies, and you can stay logged in, if you want.
    If you delete cookies on exit, you will have to login all the time.

7. 2008/02/16

Westside

I hope that you don't think that I am being nosey, but why Owen Sound? Fishing? Friends and/or Relatives live there? Some other attraction?

Well the two Sounds Owen and Parry, are as different as night is to day.Owen Sound is very nice but much like the farmland that surrounds it. Parry Sound on the other hand is raw rough hard Granite Rock country. As part of the "Canadian Shield" with most of the bed-rock on the surface.

Thousands of Lakes, Mine is called Otter Lake with approx. 90 km of shoreline and parts are 80 metres deep with lake trout and metre long Pike {39 1/4 inches} large & small mouth Bass. and many others.

I am still working on my little e-mail problem, thanks for your ideas on that.

loonychoons ------Leonard Chowns . President, Maple Leaf Resort.

8. 2008/02/16
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

To me Owen Sound was only for the Folk Festival, in August.
    I lived for nine years in Ann Arbor, Mi. Unfortunately, I never went further than Owen Sound. Parry Sound is quite accessible from Toronto, but a bit of a trek from Ann Arbor.
    Good luck on your efforts with Mail. Keep in touch.

9. 2008/02/17
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Leonard,

I seem to have the same problem when using SSL, Port 995, and www.infinisource.com as the incoming and SMTP server. Arie's instructions are quite clear, so I know that isn't the problem. Let me see what I can find out, and will get back to you shortly.

Westside,

Leonard is accessing WindowsBBS POP email which is offered to "Contributing Members ".

10. 2008/02/17
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Since I am not a Lifetime Contributor, i.e., I don't pay, I was dumbfounded.
    Anyway, this site used to be the toughest for me to get to, without resigning, since, I was not keeping my cookies indefinetely. But, otherwise, it is so simple.

11. 2008/02/18

Sorry RAMONA , Live & learn Leonard

12. 2008/02/19
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Have you checked "My outgoing server requires authentication" and "Log on to my incoming mail server before sending email "?

(or whatever the equivalent is in your email program?)

13. 2008/02/19
    Ramona

Arie,

In the Thunderbird Server Settings | Security Settings I have enabled SSL and "Use secure authentication ".

I believe the Thunderbird equivalent to "Log on to my incoming mail server before sending email ", would be "Check for new messages at startup ", indicating the Mail client is active.

loonychoons also indicates that he has enabled SSL and "Use secure authentication ".

14. 2008/02/19
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Do not use "Use secure authentication ", just enable SSL.

15. 2008/02/19
    Ramona

I've tried it both ways, and it still gives an error?

16. 2008/02/19
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

So you can't use SSL. I'm sorry, but Outlook & Outlook Express work fine, and that's all I have to test with.

17. 2008/02/20
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

OK, try again... if it doesn't work now, I doubt I have any other ideas.

18. 2008/02/20
    Ramona

You go Arie! Whatever you did is working and I can now receive Mail using the SSL.

Thanks for helping... :)

19. 2008/02/20

THANK YOU. Arie & Ramona.

Tonight when my son Richard gets home I will let him set my WindowsBBS Mail Box up for SSL.

He will be relieved to know that we were not doing anything wrong. Ramona, if, "and I don't believe that we will" have any problems I will be in touch. Otherwise I will just reply to this post that everything is A-O.K. Well any way Thanks Again loonychoons Leonard Chowns *T.T.F.N.

* Ta Ta For Now.

Last edited: 2008/02/21
  20. 2008/02/27

Fine And Dandy!!

Everything is A O.K. loonychoons:)

21. 2008/02/27
    Ramona

Leonard,

Excellent! :D Arie worked his magic again...