1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Have some questions on partioning a backup drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chas berlin, 2009/11/15.

1. 2009/11/15
    chas berlin

chas berlin Inactive Thread Starter

I'm preparing a backup drive, it's the same size (750GB) as my C drive.
    OS is XP Pro C drive has partitions:
    C: 24.4
    M: 292
    P: 292
    S: 73.6
    W: 14.6

From a previous thread I was told not to partition the backup, just to add the same folders as the main drive.

I'm not sure how to do this.

Also, some of the partitions on my main drive are not large enough and need to be reconfigured. Not sure if this makes a difference how I set up the 2nd drive.

I'll use Seagate Disc Wizard (a scaled down version of Acronis that came w/ the drive) to make a backup of the main drive. Acronis can format the drive, eliminating the need for XP to do this, though I'm not sure what options to use, and just how to set it up.

Last edited: 2009/11/15
  2. 2009/11/15
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

I suggest that you make the entire drive a single partition and use it to store the complete hard drive images of your other HD.

You can always use the excess free space for non critical storage without making another partition. If it comes to needing the excess for critical storage, you can dual partition the drive and include the newly created partition in your imaging procedure so that all your data is imaged.

Acronis True Image can perform incremental images that can be make on a periodic basis that you feel comfortable with. I image mine daily and keep them for 6 months. Weekly would probably serve me just as well but I have plenty of storage space available on a 640 gig external drive so I have elected to use it. It takes less than 5 minutes daily so it's no big drag.

Your version of Acronis may not be able to do that so check before committing. If it doesn't, consider purchasing the full version of Acronis True Image. It's an excellent investment and by shopping around, you can usually find a good deal on it.

chas berlin likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/11/16
    chas berlin

I'll be using the backup as an external that I will hook up every wk or so for a current backup image.
    Does that change anything, as far as how I'll set it up?

5. 2009/11/17
    chas berlin

Not sure how to set up a 2nd HD

I'm about to format a 2nd HD for use as an external backup. Would probably hook it up for backup every few wks, since my data doesn't change very often. Most of what changes is the music.

I'm on XP Pro
    My HD and backup drives are both 750 GB's
    I have several partitions on the HD and was told not to partition the backup, just make folders. I'm not sure when or how to make the folders.

(I had another thread on this but the responses stopped.)

6. 2009/11/17
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Creating different partitions and folders is a system YOU set up to help YOU find YOUR files.

Its a too each his own kind of decission.

I copy boat loads of files from my Main office pc to a second one...I create random folders like:

Main_PC_Back
    Main_PC_2
    etc

I just dump files into the folder as time permitts....I'm not very organized but copy over important stuff from time to time.

7. 2009/11/17
    chas berlin

8. 2009/11/17
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Am I over analyzing this? -> YES you are.

The main goal of backups is to have at least one extra copy of important files.

YOU need to be able to find those backup in the event you need to restore the files.

What Ever works for YOU is the key to success.

Did I mention YOU are in charge of the adventure;)

9. 2009/11/17
    chas berlin

Now that we've got that straight.

I think I heard you say this once before.
    So here we go!

Thx Steve

10. 2009/11/17
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

So you should just have posted another reply in that (now this) thread. Merged.

Arie,
  11. 2009/11/17
    chas berlin

Arie, You mean just ask for additional comments in that 1st thread?

12. 2009/11/17
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

That is what I meant, but your threads are now one & the same.

13. 2009/11/17
    chas berlin

Sorry for any inconvenience.
    Thx Arie.

14. 2009/11/18
    JCinvan

JCinvan Inactive

I don't know if you still monitor this tread, but another option is to clone the whole drive that way you have an exact copy of everything as a backup, which is ideal as a second internal drive as you can boot to it in the event of a disaster...

15. 2009/11/18
    chas berlin

It will be an external backup, but how do you clone the drive?

16. 2009/11/18
    JCinvan

JCinvan Inactive

you can clone the drive by using cloning software, I think your Seagate disk wizard as that feature, although I could be wrong since I have not used it in quite a while cause I upgraded to Acronis true image,

you can find a free 30 day trial here:

http://download.cnet.com/Acronis-True-Image-Home/3000-2242_4-10168093.html

or you can try Easeus disk copy 2.3 (free): (I have not use it myself but has a good Cnet rating)

http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Disk-Copy/3000-2248_4-10867157.html?tag=mncol

technically you should be able to boot from your external drive if you desire, although personally I have had some trouble booting to usb drives for some obscure reason I have not resolved yet...

17. 2009/11/19
    chas berlin

I'm attempting to image my HD to the new HD and I'm stuck.
    I get to the Create Image Backup screen where it asks for a folder. I put in F:\\Image and it won't proceed to the next screen. Won't give me the next option (Next key is grayed out).
    Now what?

18. 2009/11/19
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

You must create the destination folder prior to running Acronis. Acronis can only use existing folders or else it can place the image files on the root of a drive.

19. 2009/11/20
    chas berlin

Turns out there was an option in Acronis to clone the HD so I did that and it seems to be fine.
    Next is setting up the external enclosure, so if there's any tips I'm listening. It's a Vantec NexStar 3.

20. 2009/11/20
    JCinvan

JCinvan Inactive

Hi chas berlin,

I have mine partitioned as follow:

disk 0; partition 1: operating system (80Gb)
    partition 2: recovery (6Gb); factory install partition
    partition 3: personal files (documents, pics, data) (rest of disk space, 230Gb)

disk 1; partition 1: alternate system (80Gb); this is a clone of a healthy system
    partition 2: daily back-ups of system and files (rest of disk space, 385Gb)

disk 2; partition 1: Ubuntu (40 Gb)
    partition 2: Recorded Tv, secondary back-ups, other large files(videos), and files that don't need to be backed-up like downloads, CD or DVD copies; (rest of disk space, 890Gb)

This last partition's files would be on disk 1; partition 2 if I had only 2 disks.

Of course I have external drives to which I make weekly backups and store archives and recorded movies I might want to watch at some later time. they are not partitioned, just folders.

Hope this helps.

21. 2009/11/20
    chas berlin

JC, I think it's a bit late for the partitions. My primary HD is partitioned in a similar fashion to what you've suggested.
    Now I'm looking for clues on the enclosure set up.