1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Hard Disk Test Failure

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by T&S, 2015/02/02.

1. 2015/02/02
    T&S

T&S Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Trouble shooting an HP Pavilion g6 Notebook that is running the hard drive continuously. Upon running chkdsk receive failure message. We can get to windows desktop, but everything is EXTREMELY slow to respond. We have copied all the documents that we need to save to usb just in case we have to start over.

HP recommended SeaTools for dos to create a diagnostic disk, but the hp doesn't respond to it. We can't get past FreeDos to get anything done.

Is it worth the trouble or should we get a new hd?

T&S,
  2. 2015/02/02
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Save what you need to save and buy a new HD. Sounds like the one you have is going South.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/02/02
    T&S

Sad...less than 2 years old.

T&S,
  5. 2015/02/02
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you try running HP's HDD Diagnostic Tool. Had the same problem with a WDC HDD. Got a new one for my HP. Follow MrBill's advice and get a new HDD.

lj50,
  6. 2015/02/02
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It is mechanical. Won't last forever. I have a couple of HD's that are 15 years old and still trucking. And have had them fail in a couple of years. What kind of HD is it?

7. 2015/02/03
    T&S

This is a Seagate. (Don't know if I mentioned she is running Win 8. sigh...)

Seems strange how this works. Found out that the person the laptop belongs to had someone else try to fix it and removed her anti-virus. They also ran CCleaner. Not sure they knew how to use it.....

When I got the pc, the first thing I did was run Malwarebytes. Nothing shows up. Installed AVG to prevent future problems. Installs fine and caught 2 moderate problems . During the first 15-20 minutes after startup, you can do nothing but move the mouse around. After whatever is running in the background stops, you can use the pc for whatever.

BUT, when I run AVG, it will only scan 24% and freezes.

I'm gonna try to get in thru msconfig and see what is in startup just because it bugs me. HDD Diagnostic did not work before because it slows down so much.

***Just now an error message popped up: "A driver supporting Soluntion Menu EX is not installed. "***

Thanks for helping!

T&S,
  8. 2015/02/03
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I would not be worried about that - it is a driver associated with Canon Printers

It does sound very much as if the HDD is going south - at an increasing rate of knots :)

Point to bear in mind is that HDD's can fail after 1 week, 1 month, 6 months, 1 year .... - you get the jist!

Consider replacing it with an SSD and live in the fast lane, but before you do anything check what install media you have for the OS.

T&S likes this.
  9. 2015/02/03
    T&S

Sounds good. Thanks for being here!

T&S,