1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Google Chrome: "the administrator does not allow updates."]

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by bobboyd185, 2015/01/15.

1. 2015/01/15
    bobboyd185

bobboyd185 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have used Chrome for some time, and got a new 8.1 computer, loaded it in, with no problems. It is version 39.0.2171.71m. It says, under "About Google Chrome" page, that "the administrator does not allow updates." That would be me, but I did not do that and I would certainly like to receive updates. Checking with the various user boards and comments, which are confusing (unlike this forum), I can't find anything on the topic. There is no toggle or switch to change the line. One "help" page started out by going into the registry, and changing all sorts of things, and while I have worked in the registry, I should not have to do that. If anyone has a suggestion (other than Firefox), let me know. Spent some three hours on this, not getting anywhere. Any help at all would be appreciated.

2. 2015/01/15
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you back up the registry? Where in the registry did you go. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google UpdateDefault or DefaultUpdate then changed a 0 to a 1.

Last edited: 2015/01/15
    lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/01/16
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I agree.

I think you should uninstall Google Chrome then reboot. Run a full sweep with your "updated" security software, then download and install Chrome again - running the install as administrator and see what happens.

Sadly, FF security is too far behind the latest versions of IE and Chrome when it comes to socially engineered methods of malware distribution (the most prolific kind) that if anything, I would recommend removing FF unless you are very disciplined at keeping Windows updated and avoiding risky behavior - like being click happy on unsolicited downloads, attachments and links or you participate illegal filesharing or other nefarious deeds. Then all bets are off regardless your browser of choice. :(

Bill,