1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Google Calendar location suggestions

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by Ludwig, 2021/01/25.

1. 2021/01/25
    Ludwig

Ludwig Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I live in New Zealand, but whenever I create a Google calendar entry and try to add a location, it insists on presenting me with lots of non-NZ locations before NZ ones which I find incredibly annoying.

For example, searching for our local cafe ("Cafe Villa") it's selection of possible candidates includes countries like India, USA Mexico, Canada - not NZ. It's not until I start to type in my suburb name that it decides to show my local cafe. See screenshot below
    upload_2021-1-26_8-27-32.png

I understand google has to handle "the world" as possible matches, but surely there's a way to set google calendar so it's orders one's local location match/s at the top of the list it starts to present? Google maps does this admirably, so why not the same for Google calendar entries?

Ideal setting would be to base it on either your current location (using your GPS if turned on, ie "nearest match" approach) or some preferred option setting defining your local (country, region, US state, for example).

2. 2021/01/25
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

What do you have in:
    In Settings-> General Tab-> Phone Number - Default COUNTRY Code

And ->Gmail display language

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2021/01/25
    Ludwig

Thanks for the suggestions, I've checked them out.

My default country code has been set to New Zealand since I created my account
    upload_2021-1-26_9-39-44.png

My Gmail display language is
    upload_2021-1-26_9-41-43.png

I've just now set "language for other google products" to New Zealand (was UK), but things are still the same.

5. 2021/01/25
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I love a good challenge every now and then:eek:
    Have you checked ALL of your WINDOWS Settings - Regional/language etc??

6. 2021/01/25
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Ludwig, I assume you are using your Smart phone with Google Calendar?
    Mine does exactly the same process. It does the same if I'm entering a new contact in the phone directory.
    If I enter 29 in the Address area - I may get suggested addresses like Ho Chi Min, USA, Poland, Canada, I tap the space bar and some change to Belarus or Denmark.
    I put a W in and I get Singapore and Germany added to the mix.
    I personally don't have a problem with this address help.

P.S. My Region is New Zealand and my phone is a Xaoimi Mi Note 10 Lite running Android 10 with MIUI.

7. 2021/01/25
    Ludwig

I do use my calendar on my Android phone. My problem is with the Windows 10 [browser] when adding a location to a calendar entry. It's something that's annoyed me for ages hence after a long time hunting to see if there is a possible solution.

8. 2021/01/25
    Ludwig

Yep, 'been there done that' as they say when I first set up the PC. Only oopsie I made initially was to choose English UK keyboard - which is a pain to get it back to always use US keyboard(!) especially when creating new users.

Regional format is English (New Zealand), Country/Region is NZ, preferred language is English NZ, display language is same.