1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Getting Windows ready -again!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by alanrf, 2017/04/16.

1. 2017/04/16
    alanrf

alanrf Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I know that this issue has been reported by other Members before and resolved but I felt that it was worth noting that, after the recent update(s) it seems to have recurred again.

On one computer, updated a couple of days ago, after a restart earlier today to update some non-Microsoft software, I ended up with the never-ending "Getting Windows ready" screen. It took a little over an hour to complete whatever it was doing. Checking the Update History afterwards I found that nothing had been installed since the MS update a couple of days ago. Not a clue why it happened, or what it was doing, But, it was a nuisance and wasted an hour of time that I could have used more profitably.

Had a similar experience yesterday when I updated another computer. The April MS updates downloaded, (slowly!), and installed. During the install process, I left the computer to it's own devices. When I returned a couple of hours later, I logged in and checked the Update History. Empty! All very odd. Then, the "Searching for updates" routine started, wasting more time. It informed me that the exacts same updates that I had supposedly just installed were being download. Another long period of wasted time. During the installation process, the "Getting Windows ready" screen appeared and as noted above seemed to hang doing very little. On this computer it took around 50 minutes before I was back in business.

Hope that this is not a sign of the new super-fast MS Update procedure that we have been promised.

EDIT

Just a thought. I wonder if the issue is linked to the "Restart" process. When I booted up the computer earlier it fired up as normal, quick and no unexpected delays. However, using "Restart" apparently seems to have triggered off some obscure response/issue.

Last edited: 2017/04/16
  2. 2017/04/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Alan, I have had 3 drives (SSD's) updated with Creator Update and I noticed that it seemed to take some time to completely install. I'm pretty laid-back about these things and do updates one at a time. I let one comp get updated while I use my Notebook or vice-versa. Bill also reported that he noticed the update was time heavy. There are quite a few extra improvements being made to the OS with this Creator Update. Are we getting too time precious these days?

W10 is a HUGE improvement over previous versions of Windows, it is far more robust and secure and I have found that a fresh boot of the system (shut down and leave for 1/2 minute or so) does not affect any downloads or updates that are taking place. The main difference between a Shut down and a Restart is that the comp does not completely shut down during the Restart process.

Is your comp set to receive part downloads from other comps in your area???

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/04/17
    alanrf

alanrf Well-Known Member Thread Starter

As yet, the Creators update has yet to reach me, and I'm happy to wait. Like you, I always update each computer separately, never concurrently - just in case!