1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Generic host process for win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Discussion in 'Malware and Virus Removal Archive' started by Alex W, 2006/08/14.

1. 2006/08/19
    Alex W

Alex W Inactive Thread Starter

I have a microsoft optical mouse, a usb dongle for Cubase SX (music software) and a usb midi hub. All are working correctly, although I noticed there is the following usb device listed with a "!" in my device manager.

http://www.alxproductions.com/usbdevices.JPG

I'll try the other things now.

EDIT: Come to think of it though, I think that USB error has been listed in the device manager for a long while. (long before this problem started)

2. 2006/08/19
    Alex W

update - I couldn't see nsynas32 in the list of services, so I went to try and run "sc start nsynas32" from the command prompt and it returned the message:

[SC] Start Service FAILED 20:

The system cannot find the device specified.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/08/19
    Alex W

5. 2006/08/19
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

6. 2006/08/19
    Alex W

Ok, patch installed. Will report back soon.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I reinstalled the usb device with no problems also.

7. 2006/08/19
    Alex D

Alex D Inactive

Noahdfear,

Cheers for taking this on! I have just sent you the zipped log files as requested via hotmail. Afraid I will be on holiday for the next 10 days as of tomorrow, but I will be around today. Hopefully you'll be able to get to the bottom of it soon!

Don't know if this will give you any pointers, but when I uninstalled my HP printer software (as this can apparently also be the cause of the same error message appearing), while the error message still appears, it does seem to prolong the amount of time before the message appears. From say 5 minutes to 20 minutes roughly. Hope that helps! It may have no relation.

Alex D

8. 2006/08/19
    Alex W

an update - since patching windows and reinstalling the usb drivers I have had no error message for around 6 hours!

Before the error was occuring once every half hour at least, so it seems I might finally be in the clear!! :)

I'll post another message tomorrow morning.

9. 2006/08/19
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Alex W,

That's good news! Lets hope it continues. We'll wait for a day or two before proceeding with anything else. I would like to know however, if the nsynas32 service will start now that the USB device error is fixed.

Alex D,

Thanks for the logs. I'll try to have a look at them tonight. In the meantime, please download and apply the Windows Update patch from my post above and let us know it's affect.

EDIT: I took a peek at one of your event logs and see that you have already applied that patch. Have you restarted your computer since doing so?

Last edited: 2006/08/19
  10. 2006/08/19
    Alex D

Alex D Inactive

I wasn't aware I had already downloaded that patch, I'll take your word for it though! Well, I haven't received the message yet today, touch wood. This may be because I today downloaded and started to use Mozilla Firefox as my browser instead of Internet Explorer. Do you think this could make a difference? I'm off on hols now, will report back again in about 2 weeks. Thanks for help again!

Oh, and yes I have since restarted since downloading the patch - it must have been one of the regular batch of Microsoft updates.

11. 2006/08/20
    Alex W

ok I think I can safely assume the problem has completely gone. 2 days and no error! :D

Thank you ever so much for all the help. I run a music studio off this machine and it takes me a full 13 hours of non stop work to completely format and reinstall / re-register all my software - something I am obviously very glad I don't have to do!

To answer your question before, I still cannot start nsynas32, receiving the same error message as before:

[SC] Start Service FAILED 20:

The system cannot find the device specified.

Is this a problem? What does nsynas32 actually do?

Something else which has perplexed me is that all of my windows firewall settings are greyed out. Eg if I were to right click any connection and click firewall settings, all the settings are greyed out and I see that it is set to "off." What's the deal with that?

12. 2006/08/21
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Hi Alex,

The nsynas service appears to be associated with your Cubase program. Being unfamiliar with it, is there a piece of hardware used with it that is not attached or not working properly? Open the Device Manager and click View>Show Hidden devices. There should be an entry for nsynas32, and it may be showing an error. If so, try re-installing the driver (nsynas32.sys...........located in C:\Windows\system32\drivers). Try to start the service again. I'm a bit perplexed that the firewall is unaccessible/not running as well. Your logs show the necessary services are running. Please double check that the Security Center is running via Control Panel. Try accessing/turning on the firewall there. You might also check the Services applet to verify that Windows Firewall/ICS and Security Center services are set to automatic and are running. If no luck starting the firewall, please do the following.

Copy the first command below, click Start>Run and paste it in, then hit enter. Then do the second command.

regedit.exe /e c:\Logs\FW.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall "
    regedit.exe /e c:\Logs\SC.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center "

Open the C:\Logs folder previously created and then both FW.txt and SC.txt and post their contents here.

I also recommend you install a software firewall. There are several freebies available, such as Zone Alarm, Kerio and Sygate. I like Zone Alarm, although the latest version will lock your Internet explorer homepage, which means if you want to change it, you'll have to uninstall ZA, change the homepage, then re-install.

13. 2006/09/07
    JavierV

JavierV Inactive

I have the same problem...

Hi everyone,
    I´m new in this site. I post this here because I have the problem as
    the other users here: my pc works overall OK, but when I connect to
    the ADSL net suddenly the message " Generic host process for win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close" appears and my net
    connection stops working, in spite of having the symbol showing my
    connection to the net I´m not able to use any kind of browser or
    internet program and can´t disconnet. At the same time the sound of
    the PC stops working. If I restart the computer everything works fine
    until I connect to the net, use it allright for maybe 5 minutes and
    then again the error shows up.

- I haven´t installed any new program recently
    - I don´t have any new hardware installed for 6 months
    - I scanned my PC with updated NOD AV, AD Aware, Spybot and Ewido with
    no virus or trojans found
    - I ran the Blaster worm fix with no results
    - I used the smitfraudFix with no findings
    - I read this thread and many others in other forums but can´t fix my problem the same way other people did

I don´t know if anyone will read this thread or I should start a new one for my problem.
    Thanks

14. 2006/09/07
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

15. 2006/09/08
    JavierV

JavierV Inactive

Thanks

Hi noahdfear,

whoa! Installed the microsoft patch and now it seems everything works fine!!
    Many thanks

16. 2006/09/09
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Glad to hear that solved the problem, and you're most welcome.:)

Thanks for posting back!

17. 2006/09/09
    pothead247

pothead247 Inactive

jus read the threads bout applyin the patch. half an hour an no evil message so......... lookin good. cheers mate i only wish id read this b4 i formated my hard drive ha ha ha. anyway again cheers 4 the help ive bein goin mental 4 the last 3 weeks !!!!!

18. 2006/09/10
    FelipeA

FelipeA Inactive

Hello,

I've come seeking help about this same "Generic Host Process" error. I've downloaded (from another computer) and applied two patches onto the computer that I've recently experienced the error with. I didn't download anything on it recently. When I got back home, I booted it, and the error came up, and I got another window saying something about an error with the network. Now it never detects any wireless networks at all.

The patches I downloaded were Security Updates:
    KB921883
    KB894391

Neither of these have solved my problem. Could I please receive some help as well? I really don't look forward to the idea of reformatting my laptop.:(

19. 2006/09/10
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive