1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved G31t-m7 motherboard problem

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by GERT, 2010/09/21.

1. 2010/09/21
    GERT

GERT Inactive Thread Starter

I'm using a G31T-M7 intel motherboard. Each time I switch Windows XP off for more than 5 minutes, the CMOS memory is lost.
    I've allready replaced the battery with a new one.
    I've allso checked the CMOS reset switch and it appears to be correct.
    When I switch the PC on again I must first press F1 and set the date and time in BIOS. After that the PC starts correct.
    When I switch the PC off it threw it's CMOS memory away again.
    Could it be that the motherboard is faulty?:confused:

GERT,
  2. 2010/09/22
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

The CMOS battery hasn't been put in upside-down? +ve should be up.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/09/22
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

And check the voltage on the battery with a volt meter.

What made you decide to replace the battery?

5. 2010/09/22
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I agree to make sure the battery is inserted properly - though I am not sure the system would boot at all with it in backwards, typically the + or flat side is up. Although rare, you could have a got a bad new battery. Testing batteries with a meter is never conclusive because batteries must be tested under load to give an accurate reading. This means you would have to test the battery while it is in the circuit, and I don't recommend inserting two hard, sharp, highly conductive probes into the heart of the computer unless you have very steady hands and know exactly what you are doing. These batteries are cheap so not worth the risk of damaging the board.

That appears to be an ECS board, not Intel and the picture, as seen here on page 9, shows the battery with the + or flat side up. It also shows that the reset jumper should be across pins 1 and 2 for normal operation.

When you set the date and time, are you selecting Save and Exit to exit and boot normally?

When you removed and replaced the battery did you unplug the computer from the wall first, and then touch bare metal of the case to discharge any static in your body before reaching in? Both precautions are essential.

If the battery is good, and you are saving the settings, and the reset jumper is not positioned wrong, then the CMOS module is bad, or there is a short somewhere on the CMOS circuit causing the CMOS to discharge, thus dumping its data. And while they can be repaired, it is generally more cost effective to replace the board.

I would also like to know, what prompted you to replace the battery in the first place?

Bill,
  6. 2010/09/22
    GERT

GERT Inactive Thread Starter

Bill,
    I replaced the battery in the first place because my time and date settings changed at night when the pc was off.
    I've also checked the the cmos and tried a new battery.
    I think you are right about a short or something - I must replace the board.

GERT,
  7. 2010/09/22
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Your initial problem with date and time changing was a sure sign that the battery was flat. Did you go into the bios setting and load the defaults after replacing the battery?

8. 2010/09/22
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Ummm, replacing the battery will reset the CMOS to the normal defaults. But you must immediately go into the BIOS Setup Menu to set date and time anyway.

It looks that way. Note you can continue to use the board indefinitley as long as you remember to always set the date and time. Otherwise, timestamps on your files will get messed up and if critical system files are affected, it can corrupt Windows.

At any rate, I would start preparing for the worse and by backing up all your personal files.

Bill,