1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Function keys on ASUS netbook not working

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by fdamp, 2013/01/21.

1. 2013/01/21
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member Thread Starter

DW has an ASUS netbook, running WinXP. It's maybe 4 years old. She's getting very ticked off by the audio capabilites (or lack of them).

Most of the time, neither of us bother with having audio on. It's a distraction and unnecessary 95% of the time.

On my desktop, turning audio on and off is really simple - there's a "Power" button on the (separate) speakers. On her netbook, you have to do it either through function keys or Control Panel Audio settings. For the first couple of years, the CTRL/function keys worked fine, one for audio disable/enable, one for louder and one for quieter. They've now all quit working. The other CTRL/fn keys still seem to do their thing.

Is there some software switch I don't know about that could have disabled the function-key audio selectability? DW is getting so ticked off with it that maybe a $500 laptop is going to be the only way to fix the problem.

Any help to save that expenditure would be much appreciated! BTW, I can't find anything in the ASUS handbook that addresses the issue.

2. 2013/01/21
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

On my ASUS laptop, which probably is the same for a Netbook, I keep the speaker symbol down by the clock (taskbar) and I can mute or turn the sound of when ever I want to. Go to Sounds and Audio Devices and put a check to show the Volume Icon in the task bar.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/01/22
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Click the little round Speaker icon in the System Tray/Notification Area
    of the Taskbar, near the clock, in the bottom right corner (usually).

Attached Files:

5. 2013/01/22
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

If there's no icon, go to Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices and on the Volume tab, check Place volume icon in the taskbar.

Now, once the icon is there, click it, and check Mute to mute the sound. Uncheck for the opposite result.

Attached Files:

Arie,
  6. 2013/02/03
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The audio program won't put the speaker icon in the taskbar. I think a re-install is probably going to be needed. For now, I'll flag this thing as "resolved ".

7. 2013/02/03
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Sounds like the Audio Driver is missing. Look in Device Manager for any YELLOW ? or !.