1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

"Found Hardware" Wizard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by noclue, 2008/10/25.

1. 2008/11/01
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

That is very odd. What do you mean that the Mcafee download left you with no icon? :confused: I am a bit confused with what your trying to say.

Were you able to delete the google toolbar using the toolbar uninstaller? If that proved to be unsuccessfull then you can either delete it manually through Windows Explorer or you could leave it be. Thanks again for your PM.

2. 2008/11/01
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi noclue,

1)You still have the google toolbar, correct?

2)You wish to uninstall it, correct?

3)Do you see the Settings button, on the google toolbar?
    It will be located at the end of the toolbar.

4)If you click on the Settings button, a small popout menu will open. It will have at least three choices as follows:
    Sign in
    Options
    Help>

5)When you slide to or click on HELP>, another small popout menu will open.

6)One of the things listed in that popout menu should be uninstall.

7)If you click on uninstall an ie looking page will open.

8)Skip or ignore everything on that page except the big gray uninstall the google toolbar button on the bottom.

9)Click on that button and it will uninstall the toolbar.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/11/02
    noclue

noclue Inactive Thread Starter

Hello, Goddez -- I don't have a "Settings" button since I downloaded IE7. I feel real dumb, but I swear, there is no settings button anywhere on the three toolbars I have.

At this point, I am very willing to live with these toolbars. I am used to them now, and it seems like a terrible hassle to live life otherwise. I'm causing a hassle! It is, however, a major concern that I cannot cut and paste.

Evan -- The McAfee didn't produce a desktop icon like I'm used to getting after a download. But I see that it is now a little green bar on my igoogle homepage.

5. 2008/11/02
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi noclue,

I'll consider the google toolbar a dead issue....phew!

1)You mentioned you use xp home and are not logged in as true administrator. That leads to the conclusion that you are logged in as a user. What level of privilege is your account? :
    *Do you have full administrator privilages as a power user?
    OR
    *Are you running in a limited user account of some kind?

2)Can you give me an example, using a specific "step by step" "blow by blow" description of the procedure you use while trying to do a cut and paste. Include applications or windows you are using, also please include any errors or warnings you get along the way, quoted exactly.

*Can you drag and drop?

Last edited: 2008/11/02
  6. 2008/11/02
    noclue

I think it's best to ignore the toolbar issue for all our collective sanity! Talk about dropping and dragging.... :eek:

Uh, well, I just stumbled across this message board a while back, sent in a donation, and started asking questions. I don't know what that makes me as far as my privilege level. I think I would have to be a limited user. What do I need to do to allow someone access to my computer, if that's where you were going with that. If not, pardon my assumption! :D

Here is how I try to cut and paste. Since I don't know where to find the words "edit, copy, paste" anymore with IE7, I've just tried graying out the URL, clicking on the "copy" icon, calling up the page where I want to post the URL, and then clicking on the paste icon. That is obviously wrong!

I used to go through those same steps with IE6, only there were actual words which said, "copy" and "paste" after I had grayed out the URLand clicked on "Edit. "

What am I doing wrong? :eek:

7. 2008/11/02
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

The toolbar your used to seeing is called the "menubar ". That's the bar with the File Edit View History Bookmarks Tools Help dropdown menu on on it. It is now "moveable" and "Show or Hideable ".

There are several ways used to set this bar as "show ". Here's one:
    *Use the Alt key on your keyboard and while pressing this also press the v key. In otherwords your going to use what is called a keyboard combo, which is the pressing of two or more keys at the same time. Alt+V
    *This will cause the View menu of the menubar to open. Once opened:
    >select Toolbars and make sure menubar is checked (has a check in front of it). A check will show it. Removing the check will hide it.

This bar will no longer be shown at the top of all other bars. There is a tweak that can do this but let's just get this bugger shown first so at least your one more step closer to an IE your used to.

--------------------------------
    As for the copy and pasted url problem. When you say you gray it, do you mean you highlight it and your highlight color is gray? Highlight color is the color of anything you drag your mouse over to cover it with a band of color to show you want to do something with it. Much like when you use a highlight maker to highlight words in a book or on a written paper.

I ask this only because I want to make real sure your meaning of the phrase "gray it" is my understanding of the phrase "highlight it ".

If so then when you have this grayed url (highlighted url)
    *rightclick on it
    *select copy

To paste it:
    *Right click an empty addressbar
    *select paste

-------------------------------------
    You are doing an url copyNpaste the hard way but let's first make sure you can actually do this in the manner your used to. :)

As for the user account login and privilage portion of the previous thread, I was referring to "your computer account" and "user account ". We'll get back to that later. Let's stay focused on one thing at a time.

8. 2008/11/02
    noclue

Hi, goddez1 --

Thank you for your 1-2-3 type post. I think you now know who you're dealing with and that simple instructions work well with us extremely-low-tech types.

I was able to unload the menu bar per your directions, but I then went back and added it back into the equation. This is because I frequently am on an Internet site which I want to forward. I need access to File > Send > Page by email. I hope that's OK.

Now I must report total failure with the copy/paste routine. I printed out your instructions so I would be sure I was doing it right, but the best laid plans.... Yes, I was using "graying out" to mean "highlighting," which is all I was successful in doing. :eek: I highlighted the URL of an article from an emagazine, right-clicked on it, and then clicked on the "copy" icon. Then I called up the message board I usually post on to give it a test drive. When I got the empty reply box, I then right-clicked into the box (as in the IE6 days of old), but no URL appeared. I know you said to click on an empty address bar, but since I don't know what/where that is, I opted for an empty reply box on a message board. It didn't happen for me. :(

Sorry to flunk the copy/paste class. Maybe I'll do better with the "my computer and user accout" class.

PS Before I forget, I am getting the Red X box when I try to open ppt attachments. Says I don't have what I need to open it. When I downloaded IE7, did something change? If this is a power point attachment, I used to be able to open those.... Just a little something for later. Or elsewhere on the board?

Last edited: 2008/11/02
  9. 2008/11/02
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

noclue,

I misunderstood what you were doing. I believed by the black bolded words in this quoted section of your post, that you could no longer find the menubar that had Edit with the dropdown commands of copy, paste. Knowing this is hidden, on a new install of IE7 I figured you just hadn't set it to show. The "url address paste steps" where given because I thought the thing you were trying to do was (as the blue words led me to believe) paste an url in the addressbar.

Now I see you are just trying to do a simple copyNpaste that under normal circumstances should not be a problem.

Let me ask you to do something.

*Highlight this bolded text your now reading.
    *Rightclick on it and select copy
    *Rightclick in your post and select paste

Let's see what happens.

10. 2008/11/02
    noclue

*Highlight this bolded text your now reading.

Ah, little victories!

11. 2008/11/02
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

I see Ann has been doing a great job helping you with your copy and paste issue. To find out if your computer account is a limited account or is a full administrator account follow these steps outlined here, http://www.computerbleep.com/articles/article8.html.

12. 2008/11/02
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Yea! Happy dance...:)

I see it is not a simple copyNpaste issue.

Let's try an url.

http://www.windowsbbs.com/search.php

Same procedure.
    *RightClick on the url above
    *select copy link location
    *RightClick in your post and select paste

13. 2008/11/03
    noclue

Hi, Evan! Glad I haven't run you off. :) I followed the first few steps of your user account instructions and discovered that I am registered as a computer administrator. That is *really* scary! :eek: Especially since I though y'all were wanting to know how I was registered with BBS. :eek: I registered with BBS as a beginner because there wasn't anything lower on the totem pole. :D

Moving right along: I shall now attempt the death-defying URL cut/paste....

Well, that was quick. When I right-click on the URL, a menu appears with "copy," "cut," and "paste" in faded gray print. All else is in black type. So, I cannot do the right-click. :confused:

14. 2008/11/03
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

no clue,

Your correct. A grayed out choice means you can not perform that action on the thing you've rightclicked on, in this case the URL. A black choice means you can.

An URL comes in three forms:
    1)one that is live(active) , meaning when you click on it it will send you to the address or place the url leads to.
    2)Or nonactive, these have to be highlighted before all the rightclick actions will be available (blackened).
    3)one that is live(active) but the url is using a name, these may have to be highlighted and both copy options of "copy" and "copy link location" will be made.

On a live(active) link rightclick choose "copy link location ".

Is this a blackened option? Rightclick on it again and choose "copy link location ".

Last edited: 2008/11/03
  15. 2008/11/03
    noclue

So, for example, I've found an article I want to post on a message board. That is "live," correct? How can I proceed with the current choices grayed out?

And *why* are they grayed out!?

16. 2008/11/03
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

When rightclicked on:

Is "copy link location" an option?

If so try it, please.

17. 2008/11/03
    noclue

Not an option.

18. 2008/11/03
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

How about "copy Shortcut "?

Maybe you should tell me what your rightclick options are. I'm using vista/FireFox at the moment and my rightclick context menu may vary slightly from yours.

-------------
    You could also
    highlight the url and
    use keyboard key combo of Ctrl+c for a copy
    LeftClick on spot where you wish to paste and use Ctrl+v

I was going to have you try the above shortcuts later, but maybe we should try this now also. We could use another success to boost the spirit. But please remember to try the rightclick option first, and or tell me what rightclick menu options are available to you. RightClicking to perform tasks is so much easier than other methods, at least when they're working as they're suppose to.

How ya' doing spirit wise, you hanging in there?

19. 2008/11/03
    noclue

So, I've written a nice little reply to you and Evan but have lost it four times trying to do the URL thing, so I'm just going to say "thanks" this time. Less for y'all to read, anyway.

Also, I do have "copy shortcut." Do you want the rest of the items in that menu? Nothing sounds really enticing.

Alright, without losing my reply this time, I'm going to try the control + instructions. BTW, "highlight" = totally black when I highlight the URL. I'm not trying for gray again...

Nope. Nothing. I did use upper case C & V. Sorry to disappoint... :(

20. 2008/11/04
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi noclue,

I hate to keep replying back to you with questions that sound like I think you really are clueless, but not knowing if your a member that is apprehensive or afraid to try something unless they've been given specific instructions to do so, I must ask you again if you've:
    *right click on the url and
    *selected the rightclick option of "copy shortcut"
    *then rightclicked and selected paste.

Here's a link to practice on:

On the crtl+c and cntrl+v instrucs, copy is done with pressing the ctrl plus the c key and pasteing is done with the ctrl plus the v key, both held at the same time time. (no caps (upper case) necessary)
    *highlight the url
    *press ctrl hold it and press c key
    *left click the spot you wish to paste the url
    *press the ctrl key hold it and press the v key

I'm sitting here, scratching my head, thinking....
    You were able to "copy and paste text ", previously done in this post, so you should be able to copy an url...darn it. This makes no sense. I just can't accept this until I'm 100% sure the procedure or technique used was done correctly.

You've got to admit, all I know about you and your computer skills is from the first few threads of this post. They leave the impression that you can make mistakes (as we all do), misunderstand what you read, may have a hard time making logical choices. I have also been assuming your trying something once and if that fails giving up, rather then trying it in a slightly different way. Otherwise you would have already tried to use the rightclick "copy shortcut" method. If this assumption is wrong and my relentless repetitiveness is driving you crazy let me know..:)

--------------------------------------
    Maybe using the clipboard will help. Monitoring with the clipboard viewer
    will at least tell you if your copy worked. Lets see if you have it installed.

1. Begin by first clicking on the Start Button.
    2. Then click on Run Icon, which will open up the Run Menu for you.
    3. Locate the white area of the screen next to the word Open: in the Run Menu.
    4. Now type in the word Clipbrd and click on the OK button to launch the Program.
    If installed, this should start the clipboard. Any copy will show up on the clipboard. If a paste is going to succeed it must first show up on the clipboard. Are you aware of how clipboard works?
    See:
    http://www.barrett.net/xpclipboard.html

Last edited: 2008/11/04
    Rockster2U likes this.
  21. 2008/11/04
    noclue

Well, it happened again. I lost yet ANOTHER lengthy reply message... :mad:

OK -- one more time: What happened last night involves a new computer problem which I am loathe to lay on y'all right now. I had lost four lengthy reply messages (yes, I had stored each and every one in that bottom tray), so I was really frustrated and did not even think to try the "copy shortcut" procedure. I hate it when I humiliate myself in public! :eek:

I tend to be impatient primarily because I have a disability which creates a lot of pain in my body, and sitting at the computer for long periods of time makes the pain that much worse, sometimes requiring me to type with only one 62-year old arthritic hand. That makes for very slow going.

My whole life, I have done better with short, concise explanations. I'm not really stupid, but I can be easily overwhelmed. I have never felt that you are badgering me. Quite the contrary! I have found your instructions to be just my speed. In fact, I am amazed that you are as patient as you are. Evan, you, too. If you need more insight into my psyche, I am not averse to providing you with whatever else might help you know who you're dealing with.

So, without further ado, I shall now attempt the URL copy/paste using the new "copy shortcut" instructions:

And there you have it, at long last! <thunderous applause>

Is it OK to not try the control c & v at this point?