1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

"Found Hardware" Wizard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by noclue, 2008/10/25.

1. 2008/10/29
    noclue

noclue Inactive Thread Starter

OK, I think I *finally* figured out what y'all were asking me to do. (DUH) All the security zones are set as you explained, Evan, except for "Internet," which wouldn't let me go to medium-high. There was no place to stop the slider between medium and high. When I put it on high, I got a what-are-you-stupid window telling me that the recommended setting for Internet is medium. So, I put it back there. However, I never clicked on the default button.

I am not logged in as an Administrator. What a scary thought! I am running I.E. 6 with Windows XP, Home Edition.

The cream-colored bar at the top of the download page says, "To protect your security, IE blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options. "

2. 2008/10/29
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Ok then click the yellow security bar when it comes up. You will get a menu that comes where it says download file. Go ahead and try downloading the driver again. Also on a side note I would recommend that you update to Internet Explorer 7.

Last edited: 2008/10/29
    noclue likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/10/29
    noclue

It's always something! :mad: I proceeded with the download, and ended up with the dreaded Red X Error window, which said the following; "This driver cannot be installed on this computer. Please contact manufactured for further information."

What now?

5. 2008/10/29
    Evan Omo

Oh boy. Well Judy at least we are making progress. :rolleyes: Are you still getting the Found New Hardware Wizard in Windows or is it not showing up anymore? Try running Windows Update and have it scan for available updates for your computer. Click Start< All Programs< Windows Update. If it offers you to upgrade to Microsoft Update then please do so. After that when the update page is loaded you will have 2 options. Express or Custom. Choose the Custom option and let windows update scan for updates that may apply to your computer. When it finds updates that are ready to be installed make sure the checkboxes next to each update are checked and then click install to install them. If Internet Explorer 7 is offered as an update to be installed then install that as well.

Anyway the only reason I have been telling you to install the graphics driver is because the found new hardware wizard was coming up. If this is no longer happening and you are able to change your screen resolution without any problems then we will move on to installing windows updates for your system. By the way thanks again for your PM.

6. 2008/10/29
    noclue

I'm not getting the "Found Hardware Wizard" window anymore, so at least that problem is solved. If I update Windows to IE 7, is that going to be Vista?

Things seem to be working OK now, in general. I still have "issues," but I had those before I posted on the Windows forum. If update = Vista, then I will be in way more trouble! Y'all will never get rid of me.

Nevertheless, if it is what I need to do, I'll proceed.

7. 2008/10/29
    Evan Omo

8. 2008/10/30
    noclue

OK, then. It doesn't seem too scary. I'll get that update done now. I hope I don't get any more Big Red X's. :eek:

I'm back. Good news/bad news. Good news: I found in Microsoft Update, "Your computer is set to receive security & critical updates automatically."

Bad news: I am stuck with THREE Google toolbars, plus that annoying dropdown menu which appears under the regular Google page search bar. (I use igoogle for my homepage. That accounts for one of the toolbars and is the only one I actually need). I cannot uninstall the thing because it's listed nowhere in my add/remove programs.

I have nothing but my Outlook Express toolbar; therefore, I cannot access Settings > Toolbars in order to get rid of it. There is no wrench anywhere with which to delete it. In fact, there are none of the icons I used to have, and no way of unloading this freakin' toolbar.

I can't check my spelling. I can't access my email at all from the Internet -- no "read mail" icon. Have to go all the way back to "start. "

Last edited: 2008/10/30
  9. 2008/10/30
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

I've been following this thread with interest as Evan Omo has been guiding you along. He's doing a great job and deserves a lot of credit for his fine assistance. I'm not trying to butt in here but if you select Tools from any Internet Expolorer window and then click on Manage Add-ons, you should be able to disable any or all Google toolbars.

;)

10. 2008/10/30
    Evan Omo

Thanks for the comments Rockster. Judy, follow Rocksters instructions and disable any addons that you don't need or are causing problems.

11. 2008/10/30
    noclue

It took me quite a while to be able to open the forum page. It opened cut in half horizontally, and every time I tried to maximize, it closed. The back button does not work, so I had to go back to my email to click on the thread, which does not always open. ???

Rockster -- great avatar! I followed your instructions, disabled to Google toolbar, restarted the computer, and found that nothing had changed. Meanwhile, I discovered my old icons by dragging the arrow across the dotted line on the third (bottom) level of all of the new toolbars. I found "Tools" and unlocked the toolbars. Went back to "Manage add-ons," which showed that the Google toobar had been disabled. Why do I still have it?

Here are the three tiers at the top of my previously-tidy page:

1)The two blue swooshy arrows (which do not work) with address bar that has annoying drop-down menu + two unknown icons + magnifying glass + another drop-down
    2) Outlook Express toolbar
    3) Star for favorites (used to be a lot larger and at the top with other icons), add-to-favorites icon + ANOTHER Google bar + tab (?), + very small icons, a few of which I recognize and a few I don't.

This really does seem like overkill to me. Remind me why IE7 is better again? :confused: Maybe I'll find out once I can actually use it. :)

Evan -- I don't think I'll go back to the "Manage Add-Ons" hiding place until I know why I wasn't able to disable the tool bar. Will I be able to get rid of the drop down there, too?

12. 2008/10/30
    Evan Omo

Ok as a troubleshooting step, click Start< All Programs< Accessories< System Tools< and click Internet Explorer (No Addons). This will launch Internet Explorer 7 without any addons. Can you use IE7 without a problem in this mode? If you can, then we have to find the addon thats causing your problem. Do you still want to keep the google toolbar or do you want to delete it? Since you said its not showing up in add/remove programs then we will have to delete it manually. Try following the steps provided here, http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/bin/answer.py?answer=9231. Also download and run ATF Cleaner from here, http://majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html. After you have downloaded AFT Cleaner open it and click the button that says select all. Then hit the empty selected button to clear all of the windows temp files on your computer.

One last thing, shut down all backround programs that are located next to the system clock on the lower right hand corner of your screen. Right click each icon and click exit if that option is available. Now try starting Internet Explorer in normal mode.

13. 2008/10/30
    noclue

I can't do an uninstall in Add/Remove Programs, because there is no Google toolbar listed there. I really don't understand that one!

This may be a bad idea, but here it is: What if I uninstall IE7 altogether and then reinstall it? I noticed when it downloaded that it took forever, and no green bars ever showed up in the "Installing" box while I was waiting for it to finish. Could it just be a bad download? I'm obviously guessing....

I will proceed with the add on-less launch, but I would like to know what the AFT is going to clear. I confess I don't understand. Is it a hard drive cleaner? I don't want to lose all of my stuff as I have no back up.

Also, I cannot add anything into an existing favorite folder. I looked on line ti find out about this, and apparently it's a problem for others as well. Maybe they just don't know the secret yet? :D

...That was quick. I took a look at IE7 without add ons, and I still have the triple-decker stack of Google bars atop my page. I'm sure if I tried using the Internet or something, I'd notice a difference. But visually, nothing changed.

Last edited: 2008/10/30
  14. 2008/10/31
    Evan Omo

If you want to customize Internet Explorers menus right click on the menu in IE. You should get a list of different menus that say Menu bar, Links, Status Bar, Lock the Toolbars, Use Large Icons, and Customize Command bar< Add/Remove Commands. If you go into add/remove commands by right clicking on a toolbar in IE then you can customize the toolbar that has the favorites button on it.

ATF Cleaner will get rid of all of the temporary files on your computer. It won't delete any of your programs or documents. I have ran the program on computers many times without any ill effects. It won't delete any of your personal data. If you also want to customize IE more, open IE and click Tools< Internet Options and play around with some of the settings. If you don't know what a setting does just ask.

Since you weren't able to delete the google toolbar we will have to get rid of it manually. Open Windows Explorer (Start< My Computer) Click Tools< Folder Options. Select the options that say Show hidden files and folders, Display content in system folders. Uncheck the checkbox that says hide protected operating system files. Click Yes at the prompt. Click apply and ok to exit the folder options window.
    Next, Navigate to C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files. Find the Google toolbar ActiveX control, right click on it and choose Remove or just delete it. Go to C:\Program Files and delete anything from Google. Search your C:/Windows/System and C:/Windows/System32 folders for any google DLL files. Make sure that all browser windows are closed, delete the google files and then reboot the computer.

15. 2008/10/31
    noclue

So, Evan -- When I read through your above post, it dawned on me that "Active X" was a problem with IE6. I'd get emails with attachments, and when I opened them, I'd get the Red X saying something to the effect that my system couldn't open Active X.

Then I decided I was better off having the trio of toolbars, especially since trying to delete was unsuccessful and maybe having them would allow me to open Active X. I went back to the add ons spot, re-enabled the Google toolbar, restarted the computer, and then proceeded to re-read your instructions. I got into System Tools > Internet Explorer, and the screen informed me that I was running Windows WITHOUT add ons! So, I did the whole procedure all over again with the same results.

I don't know why nothing I try to do (e.g., delete the toolbar, re-install add ons) isn't happening. Should I just ignore the fact that I can't do any of this stuff and proceed as normal?

Well, actually I can't proceed at all because the page telling me I'm running without add ons is blocking my access to the IE menu.

Last edited: 2008/10/31
  16. 2008/10/31
    Evan Omo

Are you saying that if you disable some of the addons then you get a webpage telling you that you are running IE without addons? The only reason you would be getting that page is if you are starting IE in the no addon mode. Start IE like you normally do and try and remove the google toolbar. Did you follow my instructions on how to remove the google toolbar manually? In IE just click tools, manage addons, enable or disable addons and disable/Remove all google addons and delete the google files for the toolbar manually. That should get rid of the toolbar.

Also enabling addons has nothing to do with installing Active X controls. Take a look here, http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/e85a03aa-c7c6-428e-9891-67ea76df9b7e1033.mspx#EVAAC.

17. 2008/10/31
    noclue

What happened is that I thought I had disabled the Google toolbar, and then I decided to go back in an re-enable it. I clicked "enable" and then restarted the computer. When I went back, it showed that I still had it disabled. In other words, I thought I hadn't re-enabled it.

On a whim, I just went in again to see what it said, and I am now enabled. !!!Maybe it takes time for the computer to "post" the changes? However, it still shows that I am running IE without add-ons. The page which bears that message is in the way of my proceeding on to the menu you mentioned in your earlier post.

I accidentally discovered that if you right-click anywhere on the toolbar, you get a list of stuff that you can put on or delete from your toolbar. So, I took care of the icons, etc. by doing that. I am getting used to the toolbar, and now that I can read my mail from the Internet, I am OK with leaving it on my screen for now. Do you use it yourself?

I ran the AFT Cleaner, but stopped short of paying $30 for their product. Here is what the final tally looked like:

Items found: 366
    Ignored: 0
    Restricted: 344
    Repaired: 22

Last edited: 2008/10/31
  18. 2008/10/31
    Evan Omo

I ran the AFT Cleaner, but stopped short of paying $30 for their product. Here is what the final tally looked like:

Items found: 366
    Ignored: 0
    Restricted: 344
    Repaired: 22

The results you listed were NOT from ATF Cleaner. The program is free and doesn't charge you any money in any way at all to use it. What program did you download? :confused: Whatever program you downloaded, it wasn't ATF Cleaner. You must have clicked on an advertisment for another program. Remove that mystery program you downloaded immediately. Download ATF Cleaner from this link, http://www.snapfiles.com/get/atfcleaner.html and do not click on any ads. When you run ATF Cleaner and you select all the checkboxes and click the empty selected button you will get a window that says ATF Cleaner has freed XXXX amount of space. Whatever tally you recorded was from another program since ATF Cleaner doesn't repair or find any restricted files.

Now, have you gone into My Computer and deleted the google toolbar manually? Disabling the addons isn't enough. You have to delete the toolbar from the computer and not just disable it.

19. 2008/10/31
    Evan Omo

In addition to what I said about the google toolbar, try running this program called Toolbar Uninistaller, http://www.download.com/Toolbar-Uninstaller/3000-2017_4-10727638.html. Run the program and delete google toolbar from the list. This method of uninstalling the google toolbar is a simpler way than deleting all the parts of it manually. By the way goddez1 (AKA Ann) recommended this download to me, in order to help you out with uninstalling the google toolbar. Try the program out and let me know if you were successfull in uninstalling it.

20. 2008/11/01
    noclue

I downloaded the AFT cleaner from Major Geeks by clicking on "Free Downloads/Texas." Both that site and the snapfiles site open a window that say something like "unknown publisher -- do you want to proceed."

With the toolbar uninstall site, it asks me to select either 1 or 9.0. something.
    Which do I choose?

Also, the Mcaffe download left me with no icon, so I'm wondering if it actually downloaded. There was no icon left after the incorrect AFT download, either. That's why I wonder if there isn't something really basic wrong with the initial IE7 download...

21. 2008/11/01
    noclue

So, I chose the newer of the two choices at the Ann toolbar uninstall site. I got an error message/access denied. When I closed that window, behind it was an empty window which had a place to indicate which toolbar I wanted unistalled (it said it had detected 176 toolbars?!?!?).

However, there was no menu from which to choose, and I was not allowed to type anything into the blank space.