1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Forced to transfer earthlink to embarq

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by Auntpolly, 2007/06/03.

1. 2007/07/12
    Auntpolly

Auntpolly Inactive Thread Starter

Glad to know you got things working. When I return from vacation I am going to take the plunge and make the switch. I think I have read enough and done enough research to make it happen without a glitch! Let's hope so.
    Did you check to authenticate or not? I have read not to, and others have said to check it.
    Thanks

2. 2007/07/12
    techSUPPORTking

techSUPPORTking Inactive

good luck, authentication shouldn't be checked.
    Also when you go to the last step of the upgrade process it will try to install Embarq Online Security application. This is offered free but if you choose to use their software make sure you completely uninstall all your old anti virus software.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/07/12
    techSUPPORTking

techSUPPORTking Inactive

This is done so people can't send emails that are spoofed from their address...hacking

5. 2007/07/12
    hvlinc

hvlinc Inactive

Another related question?

Yes, I have inbound set to no.
    So outgoing messages are being secured. I believe port 110 for incoming is not a secure port. Is there another option? I tried 587. Does embarq offer another port that is secure?

Thanks
    Rich Bolha

6. 2007/07/12
    techSUPPORTking

techSUPPORTking Inactive

I've tested both 25 and 587 for the outgoing port and they are working. Also on the advanced side of things I would check the box that says "Leave a copy of messages on server" and "Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items' ".
    With an unlimited amount of spaced offered this will allow you to use the webmail feature when your not home to check your old email and if your computer crashes you have a backup.

Last edited: 2007/07/12
  7. 2007/07/12
    hvlinc

hvlinc Inactive

Incoming email?

For incoming messages is 110 a secure port?

Thanks
    Rich

8. 2007/07/12
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Rich,
    port 110 is a standard port. Nothing secure that I know of.
    By the way, I have nothing against using authentication, or whatever way to prevent spamming or hacking. But, I am against an ISP making changes that are not documented, so that legitimate users are affected. There is a lot of tech non-support going on.

9. 2007/07/13
    Auntpolly

Good suggestion! I always unchecked the box to leave on the server so it would not get full. I'll have to remember to change this when I change over.

Thanks for all the tips on this post I started. I will feel a lot more comfortable switching over in the near future.

10. 2007/07/13
    Auntpolly

No intentions of using Embarq's software. Have enough protection of my own.
    Thanks for the tip though. I have read this is where people are having troubles. They install Embarq's security over Earthlinks security software.