1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Forced to transfer earthlink to embarq

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by Auntpolly, 2007/06/03.

1. 2007/06/03
    Auntpolly

Auntpolly Inactive Thread Starter

I have Embarq (formerly Sprint) DSL. It included Earthlink email. By October Embarq is making us change to embarq email service. (Embarqmail.com) :mad:
    Since I strictly use Thunderbird and not the web mail offered I asked Embarq support how to set up TB for POP mail. I was told to create a new account. They gave me all the incoming server and SMPT information and to set the outgoing server to require authentication using a user name and password.
    My question is, why set up a new account? Why not just change the information in Tools, Account settings? Doing a search someone else mentioned they tried this and it didn't work. They had to set up a new account.
    Since it has been so long since I set up my current TB account, I am wondering how will this setting up a new account affect my addressbook and current emails? Will I have to move all this to a new folder? Is there a way to migrate the current profile?
    I know I can count on someone here to give me the best advise!:)

2. 2007/06/03
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Hi Aunt Polly,

You're absolutely correct, you should be able to simply change the information in the Mail Account settings to the new Mail Client, using the information given you by your ISP.

Go through all the settings in the Mail Account(s) and change each accordingly. Don't forget to scroll all the way to the bottom of the Mail Account List in the left panel, to the Outgoing (SMTP) setting. Add the new SMTP Server, then remove the old setting, by highlighting, then press the "Remove" tab. Do this for each Mail Account.

Backup the entire Thunderbird folder before doing any editing. This will ensure you lose nothing:
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Thunderbird

If you have any problems, or further questions, let us know.

EDIT:

In the Password Setting, delete your ISP Mail Password. Then TB will ask for the new password.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/06/03
    Auntpolly

Thanks Ramona. Embarq claims it has something to do with earthlink using a different port than embarq. Although when I checked, I am using port 25 for earthlink now and that is what embarq says they use.
    And earthlink did not require authenticating for outgoing mail as embarq does.
    I am going to try it "our" way when I do get around to making the change! ;)
    And I ALWAYS backup TB before making any changes. And do occasional backups just in case of corrupt files. It has saved me in the past!

5. 2007/06/03
    Ramona

Aunt Polly,

Good to hear that you make frequent backups. You go girl! :D

If your new ISP requires authentication, then there is a setting for that in TB:

Tools | Account Settings | Server Settings | Use Secure Authentication

6. 2007/06/30
    techSUPPORTking

techSUPPORTking Inactive

Embarq works with any 3rd party email client that supports pop3.

Incoming mail server: pop.embarqmail.com
    Outgoing mail server: smtp.embarqmail.com
    Use your email address as your username
    Also make sure you check Outgoing server requires secure authentication. (use same login settings as incoming mail server.)

call their tech support if you need help setting that up.

7. 2007/06/30
    Auntpolly

Do you work for Embarq? :cool:
    Or have you switched over with no problems using TB?

8. 2007/07/01
    techSUPPORTking

techSUPPORTking Inactive

if your editing your earthinklink account already created on your TB,

click Tools | Account Settings | find Server Settings on the left column | for the Server Name field type : pop.embarqmail.com | Username ******@embarqmail.com.

Back on the left side find the Outgoing Server (SMTP) | Double click on the existing outgoing server | Server Name is : smtp.embarqmail.com | have the checkbox 'Username and password' checked | username *******@embarqmail.com Click OK ... should work let me know and i an embarq customer.

9. 2007/07/01
    Ramona

Welcome to the Forum, techSUPPORTking!

Welcome! :)

10. 2007/07/02
    Auntpolly

Are you currently using embarqmail with TB? I have read receiving mail from embarq lately has been very slow. Have you found this to be a problem?
    I have yet to transfer over yet. Family illness and work has kept me too busy. Afraid things won't go well and will need the time to fix it. Since my earthlink is still working, I just haven't bothered to change yet.
    Seems from my readings, the people having trouble are the ones that used Total Access and didn't delete it before installing the embarq package. I never used Total Access and don't plan on downloading embarq's package either. TB and my security software is good enough for me.
    Thanks for the help! And as Ramona said, welcome. :)

11. 2007/07/02
    techSUPPORTking

techSUPPORTking Inactive

Yeap i am using tb right now with my embarqmail account without any issue. Yeah a lot of problems come with total access migration but nothing that embarq support team cant assist you with. When your just switching your TB settings over to embarqmail then you wont lose anything, just make sure the servers are setup properly. Your also correct you don't have to download any embarq software to get online. your just using their pop servers for email. keep asking questions and when you make the transfer let me know.

Thanks

12. 2007/07/03
    Auntpolly

Have you found your earthlink emails are being forwarded to your new embarqmail.com? And were your contacts in your address book notified of your change in email?
    Thanks for all the help techsupportking!

13. 2007/07/03
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

By whom? When my e-mail address was changed some six years ago, I did the notifying. I, personally, think that it is risky to have someone outside doing the notifying. I want to manage my own address book, and, for many years I did not even want to keep one.
    As for forwarding the mail my ISP did it for one full year. Most of it was spam, and, I had to ask them to stop it.
    Things got more peaceful after changing from @home.com to @cox.net.

14. 2007/07/04
    Auntpolly

Westside, I was asking techsupport king about transferring, etc.
    When us embarq customers transfer over to embarqmail from earthlink.net, they are suppose to notify contacts in our address book and transfer our earthlink mail to the new embarqmail. I was just wondering if he found this had occurred when he made the switch.

15. 2007/07/04
    Auntpolly

Have you found your earthlink emails are being forwarded to your new embarqmail.com? And were your contacts in your address book notified of your change in email?
    Thanks for all the help techsupportking! :)

16. 2007/07/08
    techSUPPORTking

techSUPPORTking Inactive

It really depends on a few things. If you check your email with earthlink webmail then all your contacts and emails will be moved over and notified. If you check your email with ms outlook or total access then you need to import your contacts into earthlinks webmail with a csv file. Once earthlink servers have all your contacts in the elink database, you can update to embarqmail they will be notified.

How do you check your elink email?

Last edited: 2007/07/08
  17. 2007/07/09
    Auntpolly

If I am away from home, I check it by going to earthlink.net and using webmail. I have placed several addresses in the webmail so I assume those will be notified.
    But for the most part I use TB. Which is why I come to this forum so often to see what is going on. ;)

18. 2007/07/09
    techSUPPORTking

techSUPPORTking Inactive

oh yeah. I completely forgot the original issue.

19. 2007/07/12
    hvlinc

hvlinc Inactive

Thunderbird Settings

Hello

I just made the switch. In thunderbird I have it set to correct pop and outgoing server. What should the incoming port be? Outgoing port? I have it requesting username for outgoing and have tried no, TLS if avail, TLS and SSL. My problem is the outbound password is not getting sent to download inbound. I have double checked my password. If someone could give me all the settings needed it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Richard Bolha

Well, I got it working now. I just had to include my full address in my username fields both incoming and outgoing.

Last edited: 2007/07/12
  20. 2007/07/12
    Ramona

Welcome to the Forum, hvlink!

Thanks for letting us know that you figured out the problem on your own! :)

21. 2007/07/12
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Is it not a pain when they pull things like this?