1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Font size in [OE 6] E~mail

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by MIR11, 2010/07/07.

1. 2010/07/07
    MIR11

MIR11 Inactive Thread Starter

Using XP, O.E. 6 i want to use Monotype Corsiva font and increase it.
    I start new message, click on Format, it drops down, i select Monotype Corsiva and 14 or even 24, or 36 to test it, click ok, but it reverts back to 12.
    MIR11

2. 2010/07/07
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Are you using Text as opposed to HTML for your emails?

What is the effect of choosing another font - does that increase in size as expected?

This is an OE6 issue - moved to Microsoft Mail forum with title edit.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/07/07
    MIR11

Font size in [OE 6] E~mail Reply to Thread

in reply to your first question,
    don't know

some others (Arial & Courier) will increase , only tried a couple
    you said
    moved to Microsoft Mail forum with title edit
    where is that ???/

5. 2010/07/07
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You are viewing the thread in the Microsoft Mail forum - I moved it there as this is an OE 6 specific issue, not a General Internet issue.

I will have to fire up my XP box to access OE 6 and possibly answer your question re. Text/HTML and come back. I use Outlook since migrating to Windows 7.

6. 2010/07/07
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Tools > Options Send tab - Mail Sending Format ....

Is HTML or Plain Text selected?

To format a message you must be using HTML

Monotype Corsiva is not istalled on any of my computers so I can't check that one out - all other fonts respond to size change when the option under Format in a New Message Window is set to Rich Text (HTML)
    Where are you clicking on OK - there is no such button in the New Message window?

7. 2010/07/07
    MIR11

font size in O.E.6 E~Mail

It is Rich Text (HTML)
    If you type anything in body of message then Format , a box opens up where you can change font and font size.
    then ok to "lock it in "?????

8. 2010/07/08
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Not on my version of OE - I just click on the dropdown arrow next to the font name and highlight the required font with a left mouse click and the dropdown closes and the font is set. Same on the size dropdown There is no 'OK' button.

I'll be away now for a few days so please do not assume that I am ignoring you :)

9. 2010/07/08
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Web Safe Fonts

When creating HTML Web docs or formatted email messages, your viewers will not be able to see the doc or message as you intended UNLESS they too have the font you used installed on theoir computers.

If you use an uncommon font such as Monotype Corsiva, the reader's browser or email program will render the text in what "it thinks" is the closest match to that font, most often butchering the doc or message display.

Use common Web Safe fonts for email messages and Web paqes. These are the Web safe fonts:
    http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

10. 2010/07/08
    MIR11

To Tony T
    Thanks
    What you say is interesting, but the Mono font was in here when i bought it, i did not add it.
    I pick fonts that i like and have no control how others view it.
    I assume you are reading this in the same font that BBS assigned to this message, and i typed.>>>>>>>>

As to http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html , they show very few fonts compared to what is in either my 98SE OR this XP 'Puter.
    MIR 11

11. 2010/07/09
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

What is on your computer makes no difference. Web safe fonts are the default fonts that come with an operating system. The additional fonts you see are installed automatically by other software programs, such as MS Office, MS Works, graphics programs, editors, publishers, etc., all 3rd party software.

The only one that sees your email the way you see it is you. (unless the recipients have the same fonts you have, which is very unlikely)

Though email messages can be formatted using almost any font, email is a communications program, not a desktop publishing program.

12. 2010/07/09
    MIR11

Tony T

My father in law (an engineer who did the hydraulics on Boeing 707 and NASA and other stuff ) likes Courier because he says 92 characters fit across the page. {don't konw if he include spaces) Oh by the way Courier NOT on safe list !!!!!!
    before i send another e~mail i will be sure to check list of safe fonts, i may even print it for reference
    you said "The only one that sees your email the way you see it is you. (unless the recipients have the same fonts you have, which is very unlikely)
    "
    but when people reply it is different font and color, so computer recognizes a "different font and color>>>>>
    the original question was about changing the size of fonts, not whether or nott they are safe web fonts.
    I appreciate new information/knowledge, but it does not answer original question
    MIR11..

13. 2010/07/10
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Email programs have a setting to (yes or no) reply using the same font as the originaql message, tyhus some replies may or may not use the same font as your original.

There are 3 basic font styles:
    Serif: has wigglies on the ends, example: Times New Roman
    Sans-Serif: sans = without, example: Arial, Verdana
    Fixed Width: like on a real typewriter example: Courier, Monotype

Yes, these are Web Safe fonts:
    Courier New, Courier New, Courier, monospace

Change OE font and retaining the settings must comply with certain things, such as the font size:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240730

If the font changes when typing messages, swee this OE5x article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q232001

In order for OE font settings to stick completely, you cannot use any Accessability settings for fonts in Internet Explorer. Many folks increase text size in IE and this has a tendancy top interfere with OE since OE uses the IE engine for HTML email composition. Do this:

Open Internet Explorer and click Tools > Internet Options > General Tab > Accessibility and ensure that each of the 3 formatting options is unchecked. In OE, ensure that HTML is set as the default mail sending.

note: bandaid on my index finger may cause misspellings

14. 2010/07/10
    MIR11

To Tony T
    i am torn between 3 possible replies
    1 Thank You
    2 from "gone with the wind book/movie " Frankly my dear, i don't care if a particular font is web safe or not.
    3 No reply at all
    Question How do we know the fonts here are web safe ????
    MIR11

15. 2010/07/11
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Question How do we know the fonts here are web safe ????
    Where? At this forum? The software used by this forum uses Web safe fonts, as do all such software.

16. 2010/07/11
    MIR11

TonyT
    you replied "The software used by this forum uses Web safe fonts, as do all such software. "
    As to be expected..
    I am surprised that you did not give different reply to my post 13.

I aplologize If it upset you, but i wonder how many people know about fonts or care ??
    They may care if they know.
    MIR11

17. 2010/07/12
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Why? I am not upset about anything, just here to help and to educate if possible.

Yes, most do not know or care about fonts in email or browsers until they encounter a problem such as "my nrecipients can't read my messages" or when creating newsletters to mailing lists or creating Web pages.

Just like all other software, one may pay no attention at all to the laws and functionality until the time to know arises. Bottom line, learn as you go gets more stuff done.

18. 2010/07/12
    MIR11

Thank You for polite, clear answers
    Mike

19. 2010/07/13
    MIR11

Today i tried Arial, Arial Bold, Courier, and Courier New.
    I select 24 or 36 size, but these all refer back to 12,
    this is in messages i compose and send, not messages i receive.......
    someone must know if it is a setting or what ????
    MIR11

20. 2010/07/13
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Tools > Options > Compose > Compose Font > Mail > Fonts Settings... button > set the default compose font there.

21. 2010/07/13
    MIR11

Thnk you, it is set at 10 pt Courier.
    But if i want to change it, i would have to go there each time, right
    MIR11

Last edited: 2010/07/13