1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Firefox would not work.

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by retiredlearner, 2021/08/16.

1. 2021/08/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

During the last week I have been through a weird problem with Firefox.
    This HP Notebook has been running FF and TB without problem for the last 2 years.

The latest update (version 91) stuffed things up big time. FF would not open to the internet.
    Under Tools there was an entry for Settings but it would not open any settings.:eek:
    FF wouldn't Refresh and run. Uninstalling and Downloading a new copy did not work or improve things.:mad:

I Googled and spent time searching Mozilla but found nothing to help.
    I finally went to Mozilla and Downloaded an earlier version ( 79 32bit) and installed it.
    Great!!:D It all worked 100% then a message came up saying there was an newer version ready to install.:rolleyes:
    I clicked on the update and it installed Version 91.:oops:

Everything seems to be back to normal at the moment but I thought I would Post this problem in case other users run into it. I got an error message stating: VCRUNTIME140_1.dll was missing.
    I thought getting a new copy would fix it, but it took an earlier version to fix it.:D
    I have been using Mozilla for about 18 years and I've never had any problem like this before.

2. 2021/08/16
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The last 3 or 4 updates that I had were nothing but crash problems. Didn't matter what site I was on. I disabled all addons and still the same thing. I enabled them back and reported every tab that crashed. Not I am on 91 and knock on wood, seems fine.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2021/08/17
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

I had uninstalled and installed fresh Downloads several times and the problem remained so that was when I thought I would try an earlier version.
    As I said I've been using Mozilla for years and never had a problem like this.
    I have another HP Notebook (2013 model) and 4 Desktops running FF and TB and they were updated without any hassles.
    Because it said there was a .dll missing I couldn't understand why fresh downloads didn't restore it.
    I was greatly relieved when the earlier version worked OK right from install.
    When the auto update was applied -- I crossed my fingers -- and was a happy camper when it went OK.