1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Firefox is not displaying full website colors...

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by 14U2DAY, 2008/11/18.

1. 2008/11/25
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

re Firefox & IE.
    Both browsers will automatically pull content from the cache, thus when developing Web pages, sometimes you won't see the changes you made. To always see the newest page content, hold down the CNTRL & SHIFT keys while pressing the Reload-Refresh button. This will force the newest content to be rendered, even it some of it is cached already.

2. 2008/11/25
    The Old Chief Lifetime Subscription

The Old Chief Inactive

Tony,

I've always been under the impression that just clicking on the reload/refresh button forced the page to reload.

Would you mind explaining what holding down the CTRL & SHIFT keys adds to the process because I've never heard of this before.

However, I can tell you that on many occasions while coding web page and going back and forth coding and refreshing - coding and refreshing that I have had a hard time getting the new page to load and sometimes just flat refused to the point I've had to unload the browser and start over to get the new page to load so I am assuming this CTRL & SHIFT key adds something.

Thanks, Ray

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/11/25
    14U2DAY Lifetime Subscription

14U2DAY Well-Known Member Thread Starter

TonyT,

I did as you requested and I can't click on anything in the refreshed browser.

Question: Could the mouse drivers have anything to do with this issue? I asked because in IE7 & SeaMonkey all is good but not in FF (3.0.4)... just a thought sir. I've tried everything else...

14U2DAY

5. 2008/11/27
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

These keyboard shortcuts have been a standard for a long time:

Reload a page and bypass the cache

Internet Explorer

Hold the Control key, and press F5.
    or: Hold the Control key, and click the Refresh button on the toolbar.

Mozilla, Firefox, and Netscape Navigator

Hold down the Control and Shift keys, and press R. On an Apple Mac, use the Command key instead of Control.
    or: Hold down the Shift key, and click the Reload button on the navigation toolbar.

Opera

Opera does not appear to have an option to forcibly bypass the cache, so if a normal refresh does not seem to work, you may want to try the following to completely empty the cache:
    From the 'Tools' menu, choose 'Preferences'. Expand the 'Advanced' options and choose 'History'. Click the button called 'Empty now'.

Safari

Hold down the Command and Shift keys, and press R.
    or: Hold down the Shift key and click the Reload toolbar button.

The above keyboard actions work if the pages are viewd locally or online. Alternately, if you have a local server or if editing a page and viewing the changes AFTER it's been uploaded, you can include code on the page that prevents the browser from caching the page entirely.

The META tag works sometimes, but is NOT absolute as many browsers will ignore it.
    Code:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV= "Pragma" CONTENT= "no-cache ">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV= "Expires" CONTENT= "-1 ">

If your server supports php or other scripting languages, then that's the better choice. Use this atop pages PRIOR to any other code:
    Code:
    In ASP/IIS:
      <% Response.CacheControl =  "no-cache" %>
      <% Response.AddHeader  "Pragma ",  "no-cache" %>
      <% Response.Expires = -1 %>

In PHP:
      <?
      Header('Cache-Control: no-cache');
      Header('Pragma: no-cache');
      ?>

In COLD FUSION:
      <cfheader name= "Expires" value= "#Now()# ">
      <cfheader name= "Pragma" value= "no-cache ">

In JSP:
      <%
      response.setHeader( "Cache-Control ", "no-cache ");
      response.setHeader( "Pragma ", "no-cache ");
      response.setDateHeader ( "Expires ", 0);
      %>

Last edited: 2008/11/27
  6. 2008/11/27

TonyT,

I found this website for clearing FF cache files:https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1801 you just add it to your toolbar and click on it at will...

I'm not sure if my problem is with the mouse software in FF. I have the MS Optical Mouse 3000 and I'm not sure if this could be the reason that I can't click on any menus in FF. IE7 & SeaMonkey again is working and looking perfect. In FF the mouse changes when I hover over a menu or sub-menu, but it will not initialize with the mouse click on anything... any thoughts?

14U2DAY

7. 2008/11/27

The Old Chief Inactive

8. 2008/11/28

Update to website: www.rioministry.net/live/

9. 2008/11/29

10. 2008/11/30

The Old Chief Inactive

Dewalt, your web site is looking good-- I reviewed it in IE - FF and SM and all 3 looked close to the same.

The sound does seem a little too low as I had to turn my speakers way up. Had I not known of the sound I would have missed it.

Since we have discussed the quirks of the browsers and your initial problems was solved due to upper/lower case situations and yes a wrong way slash.

AND during this process I explained the browser had different little quirks when it comes to displaying things the same.

AND since you just had a display problem between FF and IE, I thought I would bring to your attention another display quirk between the browsers.

I just spent 2 hours chasing out a problem I've had before but, done forgot the fix, so this time I started me a page I can have to jog my memory when it crops up again.

The page explains the quirk I had between the browsers and the fix and the page is at: http://www.raysmyth.net/dunce/16-quirk/00-quirk.html

I do my high school web site and we have a dunce corner for us dummies where we post different things for folks to learn and I also keep that same section on my personal site so I just added this page to it.

Again, you got a mighty fancy site and I see you have changed the background which is pretty cool.

Ray

11. 2008/12/01

Hey Ray,

I am so much in agreement with you as far as SM, FF vs IE... I'm now using SM and so far it's great for my needs!

Now you know that you really blew me away with your findings with the "space" and the "forward slash "... within your 49 pages, wow!

I have an old program called "texturizer" that I had used a long time ago for all kind of editing and found it very useful for exactly for what you mentioned in your dunce corner... very interesting!!!

Thank you Sir for your comment on the website... I've added a front end: http://www.14u2day.net/. Outside of the users and guest here, I haven't informed my Straw Group about the site yet... I haven't figured out how to put a volume control link on the site so I have reduced the music to about 10% to use as a fill while browsing...

Again thank you Ray!

DeWalt,

12. 2008/12/01

The Old Chief Inactive

DeWalt, i.e. 14U2DAY,

I reckon I could have told you the site I been working on where the bad pages showed up is at http://www.luederstexas.com

This is a site I'm doing just for fun and it is the little Texas town of Lueders where I grew up.

Cheers, Ray

13. 2008/12/01
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

The Old Chief

The reason IE renders the content the way it does is because a closing tag is required for tables, else IE just considers that the "end" <table> begins a new nested table in that last cell <td>.

You should really consider moving on up to modern code instead of using HTML 3.0 code. The <center> tag is depreciated in HTML 4.0, which btw is almost 10 yrs old already.

Last edited: 2008/12/01
  14. 2008/12/01

The Old Chief Inactive

Tony, I understand a closing tag it required. What, I don't understand is why FF and SM ignore the situation and make the page look normal while IE screws things up.

Especially since FF and SM are the ones I understand are W3C compliant while IE is not.

Thanks, Ray

15. 2008/12/02
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

FF & SM are NOT W3C compliant. No browser is completely compliant, except for maybe Amaya, which is produced by the W3C. Both IE and Mozilla browsers have bugs.

Web standards, while a necessary thing, are but ONE factor in how content is rendered by a browser. There are at least 3 factors to consider: The code used, the user settings and the browser default functions.

Just why the Moz browsers render that code w/ the missing closing tag differently than IE is insignificant, really. Perhaps the Moz browsers ignore a <table> tag unless it's followed by a <tr> tag, who knows?

Also, the page may render differently, i.e. IE may handle differently if the previous code was W3C compliant. Your page listed above has multiple errors and is not standard code:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.luederstexas.com%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

While I myself prefer FF over IE, it is actually a "good thing" that IE parses the code and "stumbles" on the missing closing tags, it forces the developer to clean up his code.

16. 2008/12/02

Hey Ray...

Forget the bad pages... I was caught up in going all over the place, like I was in a time travel. I love history and if some of the streets could talk... I would listen to their stories! You could spend a few days looking at your site!

I do think my FF is jacked up!!! IE would play the music every time I went to the main page... FF only played it the first time I visit the main page... hmm.

However, I will return to view your wife's pages... good job!

DeWalt,