1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Firefox is not displaying full website colors...

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by 14U2DAY, 2008/11/18.

1. 2008/11/19
    The Old Chief Lifetime Subscription

The Old Chief Inactive

14U2DAY

Have you took a real hard look at the coding and path location of the background image when it is on your PC and then when it is on the web site.

I will nearly bet you money that some where along the line the path gets changed from what is being used on your PC to what the path becomes when it is installed on the web site.

I have tried to save all your page and the associated files to my computer but, for some reason the SWF files and others are not loading and all I get is the black background and the DONATE button or image.

It is strange that on the Web Site it is OK with IE and not with FF. However, If it is normal in FF on your PC then their is no reason it should not be the same on the web site.

This has to do with some coding or the path command. PERIOD

In another posting Jim said:..
    AND there in lies the problem. I may not know how to do a lot of things but, after 15 years of doing web pages I do know that IE and the Mozilla browsers don't see things the same all the time. What will pass through OK on one will not on the other and vise verses.

What I am observing with my computer is the background image is not loading into the page at all.

Ok, since writing this I been working the past hour and I up loaded your web page to my web site and there the back ground image would not load either.

So, I been in the process and I've been reviewing your page back and forth and see you are apparently working on it right now because I see in the last few minutes you have changed the coding and are now back to white.

I think your on the correct path. All coding should be in lower case and the quotation marks " " should be put in which I see you've done.

I'll be right back. I am going to put in a coding and path that I think should work.

More Later -- Ray

2. 2008/11/20

The Old Chief Inactive

14u2day

I see your latest background coding is as shown here:.......
    <body background= "a4content\3Crossesblue.jpg" bgcolor=#FFFFFF>

I have now been able to make your web page work or not work on my web site. Of course I don't have all the files so about the only thing I am seeing is the background and the little DONATE and credit card image.

However, I believe if you will do as I suggest you will be able to find and fix the problem.

First let me say this:.....

My brain finally kicked in and it came to me the reason it works on your PC and not on the internet is because once on the internet server a different set of rules come into play.

For example, In the days of windows 3.1 with a maximum of 3 character file extensions you could use on the web site either the HTM or HTML extension and both would work depending on the web site location.

Then as we became more sophisticated some web sites required the full HTML
    extension and the Winsock FTP program even has a converter so when building
    pages with a windows 3.1 PC the FTP program would convert all the HTM files to HTML in the transfer process.

The Winsock FTP program also has a converter to convert all the file names to
    lower case.

At one time, upper and lower case were both recognized. You can still use upper or lower case and even intermix them however, the upper and the lower must match character for character or it will not work.

AND all the above has to do with what Jim was saying here:...
    Frankly, I don't know all the rules, I only know what I've learned over the years by trial and error and some reading.

My life got a lot easier when I learned it best to use only lower case characters in all my HTML coding and make all file names in lower case.

So, here is what I would do to fix your problem.

First make sure the 3crossesblue.jpg image is located in the a4content folder on the web site same as the code reflects.

Next, change your coding to all lower case letters and make sure the file name and folder is lower case on the web site location.

If you don't do that then you must make sure the coding matchs the upper and lower case letter for letter what the file and folder name is.

The Mozilla Browsers on the internet servers requires this. Apparently IE does not.

I have never since day one used IE as my every day browser so my knowledge of it's characteristics is limited

<body background= "a4content\3crossesblue.jpg" bgcolor= "#ffffff ">

The above is how I believe the coding should look. The quotation marks on the bgcolor are standard as is the ones on the background= which I see you have now added.

Incidental, if your going to use white then the bgcolor= would not even be required because the browser's default bgcolor is white. However, there is nothing wrong with leaving it in.

With the above as the coding then the folder name and the file name will require being named the same character for character and case for case.

Bottom Line, Make sure the path is exactly the same as the coding indicates and make sure the upper and lower cases match both in the coding and in the file and folder names on the files on the web site.

The test I ran by putting your web page on my web site and trying different browsers and coding indicates this will fix your problem.

Let us know how you make out and again Good Luck, Ray

Last edited: 2008/11/20

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/11/20
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

14U2DAY ...

Ray is onto something here, and I think your problem ultimately has to do with Flash and how various browsers handle it.

When I right-click to open a context menu to look at your source code, with the site viewed in either FF or IE, the menu provides only extremely limited selections, dealing almost exclusively with Flash, and viewing the source code isn't one of them.

When I turn off Flash while viewing your site with FF, the site disappears, and all I see is a white screen (as opposed to the black screen Ray sees) with the donate button and credit card logos.

I am, however, able to view your source code, and I see that it's written using Macromedia Flash 7.0. FWIW, Adobe acquired Macromedia in December 2005, and the current Flash version is 10.0.12.36. Whether this has any bearing on the problems FF has with your site, I can't say.

When I turn off Flash while viewing with IE, absolutely nothing happens ... the site remains visible and right-clicking yields the same Flash context menu seen with Flash turned on. In other words, I'm unable to view your source code using IE whether Flash is on or off.

I hate to say it :)o), but I don't think you're going to find your answer here on the BBS. Instead, I suggest that you contact tech support at A4DeskPro, since you've used their product to build your website. Incidentally, their latest version is 1.30, released this month.

Good luck, and please post back after you've contacted them. I'll be very interested to learn if they've been able to shed any light on your problem.

5. 2008/11/20

The Old Chief Inactive

Jim, If 14U2DAY will get the upper and lower case letters matched and the path corrected and/or verified, I will buy you a beer if it doesn't fix it.

There is an upper case C in the image name of "3Crossesblue.jpg" in the coding and I will buy you a second beer if that is not the exact problem.

Change that C to c and it will work or I will buy the 3rd beer and then quit doing web pages. Ha !

Cheers, Ray

6. 2008/11/20

JSS3rd Geek Member

You could well be right, Ray, and I hope the answer is as simple as that.

I'll take a raincheck on the beer, though, unless you want to deliver it to Long Island. I spent six years in Florida back in the day, and it would take a lot more than a beer or two to get me to come back :).

7. 2008/11/20

The Old Chief Inactive

Jim and 14U2DAY,

I thought of a way to prove the situation with my Upper/Lower Case thinking.

Go to the 1st link below and you will get a white default background with the code to load a background images that reads:.......

<body background= "a4content/3Crossesblue.jpg ">

It will fail because of the upper case C in "3Crossesblue "

http://www.raysmyth.net/00/test-1.html

Now try this next link which has the code of:......

<body background= "a4content/3crossesblue.jpg ">

AND you will get 14U2DAY's black background:.....

http://www.raysmyth.net/00/test-2.html

Please view the source code for each TEST page because I have nothing in the source code except what's necessary to prove the difference.

Now listen to this, the full version name of the IE I am using is 7.0.5730.13 and on these two test pages the results are the same as with FF.

Meaning that my IE shows the Black back ground with one page but, not the other, same as FF does.

Now isn't that interesting. O-Well look at the source code and the different results and you will see why I think I am right about all this.

Cheers, Ray

PS: Jim -- Florida can't be all that bad I been here in same house 43 years and the've not run me out yet. One of these days I want to chat with you about your TWA career. I'm a fan of Howard Hughes and love to listen to stories about him. I also got a few of my own since I worked with TWA employees at Kennedy Space Center many years ago.

Last edited: 2008/11/20
  8. 2008/11/20
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I think that I am wasting my time on this. I will defer on those who can tell the difference between shades of color. Since, I have to go back and forth between FF and IE, all I can say is that the view in IE is brighter, but one has to be very observant, which I am not. Also my eyesight is not so great. I get the same using IETab in FF3.0.4.

9. 2008/11/21
    14U2DAY Lifetime Subscription

14U2DAY Well-Known Member Thread Starter

WOW Guys!!!

I did find out that the host company was having problems with their servers which caused a bit of problem with us seeing different sites... however, I did take the many suggestions and apply the ones that I felt was doable. I did find out that the background colors were somehow changing during the FTP upload, which I can't explain... first time experiencing this issue. I edit the file after uploading and now the colors are right... but, FF is still acting funny. I am using the latest version 1.30 of A4DeskPro, which I'm looking into their support system.

I want to really express my genuine thanks to all of you for your time to guide me in the right direction. Thumbs up to all of you in the way you provided me with familiarity and understanding. Great Job guys!!!

[www.rioministry.net/live/] Updated website...

Blessings,
    14U2DAY

Last edited: 2008/11/21
  10. 2008/11/21

The Old Chief Inactive

Well hold on a minute here 14U2DAY, you've still not gotten FF to pulling in the backgound image.

I noticed that because IE shows the pinkish part of the "3crossesblue" image down in the lower right corner and FF DOES NOT.

So, to make sure you, Jim and Westside could see what I was talking about, I added a couple of more TEST pages to my web site to show the difference and low and behold about the time I was finishing up I discovered the new probably cause of why FF is still not pulling in the image.

To see the exact thing we are talking about on this 3crossesblue image go to the Test Pages at the link.

http://www.raysmyth.net/00/test-3.html which uses the "bgcolor=" code

http://www.raysmyth.net/00/test-4.html which uses the "background=" code

NOW, here is the probable cause that FF is still not pulling in the image.

I observed you have changed the code to this:.......
    <body background= "a4content\3crossesblue.jpg" bgcolor=#000000>

Note the back slash between a4content and 3crosses, it is backwards - Should be a Farward ( / ) slash.

This has been a fun challenge and I hope before you run off you will tell us if our efforts solved the initial problem.

BTW, if I was going to leave the bgcolor code in I would change it back to the 808080 gray otherwise you might not know if it is not working again because the 3crossessblue image so nearly matches just a plain background.

Cheers again -- Ray

11. 2008/11/21

Ray...

After all the trouble that I have caused, how could I run off!!! This is my new home for getting knowledge and in some cases lending a helping hand.

Great job on the slashes... that did the trick for the viewing... now I have another issue (LOL), when in FF, I can't click on anything... let me take a step back, I un-installed FF thinking I perhaps I changed some setting while we were going through this, now... the image is right but I can't click on anything... I can put my mouse over the menu, they change colors, but no initialization to the sub-menus... now what have I done? To be honest with you, this is the first time that I used IE7 in such a long time... I love FF and want to learn as much as I can in using FF.

(forward slash... back slash...) you're the man Ray!!! :cool:

14U2DAY
    (For Rio!!!)

12. 2008/11/21

JSS3rd Geek Member

14U2DAY ...

Maybe you're working on your site right now, as when I click on the link you provided in your original message, I get a 404 Page Not Found error.

Uninstalling and reinstalling FF is almost never the answer to a FF problem. Problems almost always lie with the user's profile.

If FF isn't working properly, the first thing to try is FF Safe Mode. If you don't have a shortcut icon for it, try Start > Run and type firefox.exe -safe-mode. This will start FF with no extensions or themes. If the problem still exists, sometimes a reboot will clear the error.

13. 2008/11/21

Hello Jim,

I'm not sure which link you tried to connect with but this is the one: http://www.rioministry.net/live/ and you should be good to go!

I got brave and DL SeaMonkey and it looks perfect... FF is still the same... now you're going to make me look into SeaMonkey and check it out. I like it so far! Even better than FF... Hmm...

Thanks... again!

14U2DAY

14. 2008/11/21

JSS3rd Geek Member

I used the link in your original message, in which /live/ was in caps, not realizing that you had changed it to lowercase, probably per Ray's suggestion.

Unlike email addresses, URLs are case-sensitive. I think a lot of people don't understand that.

Although I used to use Netscape Communicator, I really have no need for a suite, so I've never used SeaMonkey. And, I really prefer the fact that Firefox and Thunderbird are completely separate programs ... if one goes belly up, for whatever reason, you don't lose the other.

15. 2008/11/21
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I agree with Jim, about using two separate programs, rather than a suite.
    As for the picture it looks better in my Firefox3.0.4 than in IE7, at least the home page.
    It is brighter in FF. The font size appears to be bigger. Actually, the entire page is magnified, a bit, in FF3.0.4.

Last edited: 2008/11/22
  16. 2008/11/21

Hey Westside,

How is it that I can see everything perfect when using SeaMonkey and in using FF I can't do anything at all of a sudden... nothing! ...can't even shut off the music, lol...

Please advise,

14U2DAY

17. 2008/11/21

The Old Chief Inactive

14U2DAY, I am happy to report that your web page and all it's links are working for me in both Seamonkey 1.1.12 and Firefox 1.5 - AND that includes turning ON and OFF the music by clicking on the Ear Phones.

Based on the fact my FF works, I suggest you try clearing the cache and rebooting the computer.

Now, for my 2 cents about Firefox, Thunderbird, and Seamonkey

I use Seamonkey as my default and my every day routine browser.

I do so because I had used Netscape since day one AND being an old guy at a current age of 74 I'm pretty much set in my ways and hate changes.

But, when the AOL clowns ruined Netscape, I found Seamonkey and except for the little blue logo bird, there was absolutely no difference that I could tell. So, I been using Seamonkey every since.

However, with that said I steer my friends and new User's to Firefox and Thunderbird because I figure that is now the Mozilla Groups top of the line product that gets the most attention.

AND I have both FF and TB on my computer but, Seamonkey remains my primary.

I would have no problem using FF as my primary browser but, I don't like Thunderbird for one reason and that is the way it displays the attached files with a message.

Seamonkey shows the attached files in the same space used for the addresses of the incoming message and absolutely no screen space is lost.

With Thunderbird the attachments are shown across the bottom of the screen taking up extra screen space and are actually harder to see at the bottom then in Seamonkey where they are shown to the right of the addresses.

We speak of a suite verses two programs when in reality FF and TB can be operated similar to a suite because in FF when you click on TOOLS and READ MAIL it loads the default mail program which is same procedure as in Seamonkey when your click on WINDOW and MAIL & NEWSGROUP.

I have considered starting the habit of using Firefox as my default browser and Seamonkey as my default e-mail program because you can load Seamonkey's mail program directly from Firefox.

However, I have several profiles setup in Seamonkey so, I just continue to use it.

For what it's worth, your can make Seamonkey operate like two different programs by creating a new desktop icon and add -mail after the load command like this seamonkey.exe -mail and it will only load the mail portion of Seamonkey.

Firefox & Thunderbird or Seamonkey -- I say it is what ever makes you the most comfortable.

One feature Seamonkey has over the others is the built in Composer Program for creating web pages.

I stand way back from IE because I hate most all software produced by Microsoft because they don't give me credit for having any sense and want me to do it their way AND most of there stuff does opposite of what I expect it to do.

I much prefer Software that provides the options and then lets me do it my way AND I want a program to do what one would normally expect it to do rather then the opposite.

I can recite numerous examples but, will spare you the boredom.

My 2 Cents and congratulation on your success with FF retrieving the background image.

Good luck and I appreciate the "Atta Boys" --------- Ray

PS: I been wanting to ask is Dennis Dewalt and 14U2DAY one and the same. I only ask because I prefer addressing people by name rather then numbers.

Cheers,

18. 2008/11/21

Old Chief,

I'm so with you on the Microsoft software... that's why I started playing around with Suse Linux... I don't want to get started with the windoze beat down...

I use 14U2DAY because it's not about me, it's about the Creator and His will so I don't take credit for the gifts that He has given to me to share with those with an open heart, so I try to remove "me" from all situations and continue to give Him the glory.

14U2DAY and DeWalt are the same and everyone that knows me call me DeWalt, DR. and a few other nick names that I care not to mention here.

SeaMonkey is pretty cool... anything to get away from IE7...

Be blessed Old Chief,

DeWalt
    14U2DAY

19. 2008/11/22
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

You did so much that, not knowing what maintenaqnce methods you use, I would not have a clue. Are you emptying the cash (which rhymes with trash)? If you, really, care to pursue this, you could create a new profile. And, see if starting from scratch does anything.

20. 2008/11/23
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

FYI:

re Quotes in element tag properties:
    Quotes are actually unnecessary for tags such as <body bgcolor=red>. Modern browsers will render the pge despite the poor markup.

The reason the body bg image does not display in FF is because of this code:

Code:
    <object classid= "clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase= "http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0" width= "100%" height= "100%" align= "middle ">
    How could a bg image be seen if the flash object is set to 100% width and height of the browser window? IE may render it the way you want, but that's not because of W3C standards, it's because of IE's quirks.

If you use a 100% width and height then code the background styles inside the flash object, not in the html.

re W3C standards:
    FF is NOT a 100% W3C compliant browser, it has flaws just like IE.

re Lower Case vs Upper Case:
    HTML 3.x and 4.x support upper and lower case tags, and mixed case tags. XHTML requires all tags to be lower case. Filenames can be ANY case or mixed case.

Your source code indicates that your document is Xhtml, thus you MUST use all lower case tags.
    Code:
    <html xmlns= "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang= "en" lang= "en ">
    Also, XHTHL documents should be using CSS to style elements on the page, not HTML like <body bgcolor= "red ">.

IMHO, you would be much better off to use Flash in the page heading areas to add the desired "pizazz" for each site sectionand to do the page content in xhtml. Sites that are entirely flash based are cumbersome for the viewer as context menu functions are limited, system resources are sucked dry in less than medium quality computers, and the overall experience is lacking.

And if you do use flash for the entire site then you should provide an alternat method of viewing the site for those viewers who do not want to install flash.

If use background audio then provide a means for the viewer to contyrol the volume.

Last edited: 2008/11/23
  21. 2008/11/25

TonyT...

Hold your mule my friend... this is a little over my head sir... I have found the problem that I was looking for. You're right about the characters, lower/upper and my issue was a back slash as to a front slash... that was the solution.

As far as providing an alternate site and worrying how fast the resources load the functions and trying to control the volume are all good advices. On my next project I will keep those items in mind. Thank you for your knowledge!!!

14U2DAY