1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Finding Files

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by hollinm, 2004/03/14.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/03/25
    hollinm

hollinm Inactive Thread Starter

Att: markp62
    Here is what is in my DosStart.Bat file

@echo off
    REM To make a DOS Boot Diskette, see the file C:\DosBoot\DosBoot.txt.

set path=c:\windows\command

mscdex.exe /d:IDECD000 /L:M

SET PROMPT=$p$g
    SET TEMP=C:\windows\TEMP
    SET TMP=C:\windows\TEMP

set DosOnly=1
    call c:\dosboot\mousie.bat

c:\windows\smartdrv /q
    c:
    cd \windows

REM to enable ZIP support in DOS:
    REM 1) cd C:\IOMEGA
    REM 2) run IOMEGA.EXE
    REM 3) then uncomment the following line
    REM C:\IOMEGA\GUEST.EXE

REM for DOS Networking including most networked games,
    REM read the file IPX.BAT and then uncomment the following
    REM CALL C:\DOSBOOT\IPX.BAT

The file mscdex.exe is shown as you said in the last link. Pls. confirm that I should put REM in front of it.
    Once again I want to thank you for your patience. I know it must have been frustrating for you. You may not realize it but I have learned a lot from this exchange.

2. 2004/03/25
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Goddez1 is right about one thing, it is deeper than it looks. She'll see what I mean when she takes a look at the Autoexec.Bat contained in Dosboot. It is calling an additional Drivers.Bat file. Good thing you posted this one.

Edit 'Autoexec.Bat contained in Dosboot' as follows. Put a "REM" in front of the following lines.

LH c:\windows\command\mscdex /D:IDECD000 /L:M
    call c:\dosboot\drivers.bat

Edit your DosStart.Bat, by putting a "REM" in front of the following lines.

mscdex.exe /d:IDECD000 /L:M
    call c:\dosboot\mousie.bat

Confirmed.
    I must tell you this is a very unusual and rare setup for 'Restart in Dos Mode' to begin with.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/03/26
    hollinm

I am beginning to understand that things are not what they should be.
    I will make the changes as suggested.
    One final go around on this.
    I notice that I have two autoexec.bat files. The one I sent you which is contained in dosboot, as per last link. Then I also have one which is contained on C:\. It says it was created on March 25/04 (why?) and it contains the following:

c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\NETWOR~1\VIRUSS~1\40~1.XX\scanpm.exe c:\
    @IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
    REM SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\WINDOWS\Twain_32\Scanwiz;C:\WINDOWS\Twain\Scanwiz

Why would I have two different ones. The one above is the one that shows up when I do run>sysedit and we added the REM in the last line at the beginning of all this.

:confused:

The DosStart.Bat file which we talked about in the last link is contained in C:\Windows. Is this were it is suppose to be?

5. 2004/03/26
    hollinm

I made the changes by adding REM to Autoexec and DosStart.Bat files as you stated.
    I changed to MS-DOS and the screen was clear of the previous errors.
    However, when I went to go back to windows it opened in safe mode. I reversed the changes and windows opened normally.
    Any further suggestions?

6. 2004/03/26
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

smartdrv is gumming up the works.

You need to either rem this in the dosstart.bat or move it above the mscdex line. This bugger needs to loaded before the cdrom (mscdex.exe line).

In the dosstart.bat:
    After Remming the smartdrv line...
    You can unrem or leave remmed the mscdex line (depending if you want cdrom in dosmode.

And you can call up msconfig once again and use a normal bootup. If you have unremmed the mscdex line in dosstart.bat you need to unrem the oakcdrom.sys line config.sys.

Leave mscdex.exe in the autoexec.bat remmed.

===I'll bet....========
    When you say you restarted from dosmode back into windows and found yourself in "safemode ", did you mean dos "compatibility" mode?

Smartdrv loaded after cdrom caused itself and other memory resident problems. It also caused your original "No idecd000" error.

7. 2004/03/26
    hollinm

att: goddez1
    In the smartdrv line typed REM at the beginning
    left mscdex line unrem
    went to sysedit>config.sys dialog and unrem oakcdrom.sys line. Is this what you mean?
    What do you mean a normal bootup?
    Left mscdex.exe in the autoexec.bat remmed.
    When I went to start>shutdown>restart in MS-DOS the computer shifted over and the same IDECDOOO error was still there.
    When I said I went from dos back to windows. After the errors are shown it say C:\Windows>
    I type exit and it then goes back to windows
    Is there something else I should have done?

8. 2004/03/26
    markp62

You have two Autoexec.bat files because when you Restart in Dos Mode, and you have the Exit to Dos.Pif set to use a different configuration, it copies the one out of the Dosboot and replaces the one located at C:\ when you choose to Restart in Dos Mode.

You do not see anything about the below running do you? when you Restart in Dos Mode? This is a dos based virus scan, checking files before windows loads.
    c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\NETWOR~1\VIRUSS~1\40~1.XX\scanpm.exe c:\
    @IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
    If not, this is because this line only exists in the C:\Autoexec.Bat file, and this Autoexec.Bat file is renamed during the Restart in Dos Mode process. The C:\Dosboot\Autoexec.Bat file is copied into it's place, then the actual Restart takes place. Any Autoexec.Bat file must be at C:\ for it to work.

When you exit to get back into windows, it is renamed back. Files are changed all around.
    If you do not use the CD at all in dos mode, REM everything concerning Mscdex.Exe and Oakrom.Sys, wherever they are in all BAT files.
    Make sure that smartdrv only exists as enabled in the Autoexec.bat file in the Dosboot folder, anyplace else REM it out.

Having smartdrv and a dos driver for a CD loaded into memory messes up windows. You found that out.
    The only time I find a use for a dos driver for the CD is when I install windows. Their really isn't any other use for it, unless you have a very old game or program that you like to play or use.

9. 2004/03/26
    hollinm

I read your last link and now I am getting confused. Will you pls. let me know precisely what steps you want me to follow.

10. 2004/03/27
    hollinm

Att: markp62 and goddez1

Markp62 I did the instructions you gave me in the last link making sure Mscde.exec and Oakrom.sys was remmed from the bat files.
    Made sure smardrv was REM only in autoexec.bat in the dosboot folder.
    I then rebooted the computer and windows loaded fine.
    Then switched over to MS-DOS and the errors previously shown no longer appear. At the windows prompt I typed exit and the system went back to windows 98 without a problem. I am a happy camper.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you to both you and goddez1 for your time and patience. I know I am not the easiest person to make understand because of my inexperience and hesitancy to carry out commands in case I do them wrong. I appreciated all your help very much.:D :)

11. 2004/03/27
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Yeah!!!!

Good Job...
    I knew you could do it and would do it sooner or later. You need to learn to relax a little and find the comedy in making mistakes. Windows is pretty forgiving when you understand what you did and how to reverse it. All you need is to learn the difference between the highrisk and the low-to-no risk ones. Once you get the recovery techniques down it becomes a grown-up playground.

Working or editing the config files as you did was all no risk. All were easily reversible and recoverable. Remember windows does not need these files at all. You could have deleted them or every line in them and windows would worked just fine. It's the older devices and applications, the dos side of windows, or the User's own tweaking desires that uses them. Granted, settings in these can effect bring windows to it's knees but a safemode bootup would have allowed corrections. They are not used or loaded on a safemode bootup.

You still have a lot of crapola being told to load in the dosstart.bat but as it is not harmful we shall use the old mantra "If it ain't broke don't fix it ".

Pat yourself on the back...and your welcome. :D

Now take a deep breath and.........

What was the original problem that started this whole post? Didn't it envolve running scandisk in dosmode and getting a lack of memory error. I'll have to review but is that problem still there?

Last edited: 2004/03/27
  12. 2004/03/27
    hollinm

att: goddez1

Thanks for the encouragement and support.
    Believe it or not the original issue was not really a problem but I was looking for a quick way to delete my temporary files, non essential cookies etc.
    I think it was markp62 or scotrw that came back and said to go into ms-dos. I went into ms-dos and that's when I saw the error messages which I had not seen before because I had not gone into dos for a long time. In ms-dos I did type smartdrv and some deltree commands as suggested by him and the temporary files did disappear without having to hunt and delete each one individually. I think it was scotrw who told be about a cleanup.bat file I could download which I have done.

13. 2004/03/27
    markp62

Good to hear you're all happy with your computer, now. Have a good one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.