1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Files show empty when they aren't when using Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by raylyncorvette, 2016/03/21.

1. 2016/03/21
    raylyncorvette

raylyncorvette Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 about two weeks ago and I am having a few problems with it. First thing is it wouldn't show the mouse (Mionix 8200) until I rebooted several times during the day. That issue hasn't popped up lately but I am waiting. The main issue I have is with my other drives. I use my C drive for operating software and smaller items while I store all of my other needs on the D and E drives. Both are Seagate 1TB and are about 16 months old. After using the computer for an hour or so I open either drive and the storage bar shows 50% on both which is correct. But when I try to open any of the folders I see the message at the top of the pane saying "FOLDER IS EMPTY" when I know for a fact that it isn't. I then reboot the computer and when I open the D or E drive and then open a folder the contents is there. This happens on a daily basis and I'm getting a bit tired of it. I contacted Microsoft Windows 10 Support and in the end their only solution was I may want to revert back to 7. Yes you read it correctly. A tech at Microsoft suggest I go back to 7. Does anyone know how to solve this issue or is the Micro-Tech correct?:confused:

2. 2016/03/21
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Are D&E drives internal or external drives?

Do you see the EMPTY message after the computer has been in sleep mode?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/03/21
    raylyncorvette

Never tried it in sleep mode. This issue actually happens while I am using the computer. I can be opening one folder and when I go another folder it says "empty ". So I then open the other drive to see if everything is there and every folder says empty as well. Once the computer is rebooted they all come back into view. One other issue I have noticed is sometimes when I click on a folder the progress bar at the top starts out fine (green) and says "working on it" and then it freezes at about the 98% mark. Then its time to reboot again and start all over. Heck sometimes even the keyboard disappears (actually stops working). This has got to be an issue with 10!

5. 2016/03/21
    raylyncorvette

D and E are internal drives

6. 2016/03/21
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi raylyncorvette.

Click Start< Control Panel< System and Security< Power Options. Change the power plan to high performance.

Then change the high performance power plan settings and make sure the hard drive is never set to turn off after a period of inactivity. See this link, http://imgur.com/Py8FMZP.

7. 2016/03/21
    raylyncorvette

Hi Evan
    Does this apply to a PC which I am using or are you referring to a laptop? However my power plan in Windows 10 is set on "Balanced ". I can reset it to "High Performance" and give it a try if you think that will solve the issue. I just wan to make sure you are referring to a PC and not a laptop.

8. 2016/03/22
    Evan Omo

Those power options can be applied to either a desktop machine or a laptop.

9. 2016/03/22
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

This is not uncommon for older systems where the hardware makers may not have fully developed Windows 10 drivers for the older hardware. It is not Microsoft's responsibility to ensure hardware makers have done this. But the Microsoft tech should have asked if your drivers are current. If he didn't, he was negligent, IMO. So have you visited your motherboard's website to ensure you have the latest drivers installed?

Also, I would unplug from the wall then open the side panel of your computer, touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body, then ensure all power and data cables are securely fastened. And while in there, make sure there is not a blanket of heat-trapping dust covering the CPU and other heat sensitive components.

Balanced power should work. If things start working with high performance, I would try balanced again to see if things get reset properly this time.

Bill,
  10. 2016/03/22
    raylyncorvette

Thank you for the info but I have already performed all of these tasks. Everything is up to date and the internals of the tower are as clean as they were when I built this thing 18 moths ago. I haven't really tried the High Performance setting yet. I was waiting to see if other ideas were out there first. One person at my local electronics store suggested backing up everything on my drives and then formatting them and then reload them to see if that will help. At this point I am willing to try anything but if I can't get it working the way it should then its back to Windows 7 for me. I don't need these headaches

11. 2016/03/23
    Bill

Wow! I would not go back to him - ever. A reformat and reinstall should ALWAYS be a last resort option. For one, it rarely works. And even if it does work, you don't learn anything to prevent recurrence. But also, it typically sets you back months if not years in security.

He is right that you should make sure you have a current backup, however.

Well, you've been given a couple good suggestions. Changing the power settings is a safe thing to try and if it does not help, you can easily set it back. And making sure your drivers are current is important too when upgrading to a newer OS.

Steve R Jones likes this.
  12. 2016/03/23
    raylyncorvette

I agree I don't think a reformat is going to accomplish anything. That is why I'm still sitting here in front of a screen practicing my re-booting skills. Actually I am looking at every possible solution to this problem. For one I know for a fact that I downloaded the latest driver for my motherboard but according to what I am seeing on my screen my driver is about four builds behind. This board was installed in August of 2014 and I regularly kept up with the downloads and updates. I remember an update from February 2016 for the motherboard itself regarding Windows 10 and I installed it. Now it isn't there. I just went on line to the ASUS site and tried to download the "new" driver and when I do it is in a file I can't access. What the heck is a CAP file. I sent an e-mail to ASUS but I'll be much older by the time they respond if they are still performing at their normal pace.

13. 2016/03/23
    raylyncorvette

I forgot to say that I did change my power settings but it made things worse. When I tried to open a file with photos the photos were there but only showing the windows photo icon. When I clicked on the photo I got nothing but a black blank screen. Then when I tried to open a another file the progress bar at the top first said "working on it" and then the bar moved slowly to the right and stopped at about 98% locking down the computer. I tried a reboot but after 20 minutes of watching the little circle go round and round I just hit the power button and started it up again. Now I don't even try to open a file. I am still thinking of dumping 10 and going back to what I know worked before all of this mess.

14. 2016/03/23
    Evan Omo

I've seen this happen if the computer has certain Intel services running in the background that could cause a conflict with the hard drives in Windows Explorer.

Perform a clean boot in Windows and see if the same issue occurs.

15. 2016/03/24
    Bill

CAP or CAB?

A .cap file typically is a "capture" file. I don't see how that would apply here.

A .cab file is a "cabinet" used by Microsoft for archiving files. But I don't see why you would need that either.

16. 2016/03/24
    raylyncorvette

Just got a reply back from ASUS and it definitely a CAP file. For some reason it used in their EZ Flash Utility. That was all the information they gave me. So where do I go for this "EZ Flash Utility ", what is it and what does it do? Actually I don't have much on this computer that would cause a problem. According to the Windows 10 site when it ran the check what little I did have was compliant. I swear for all the problems of just trying to get something to work that was supposed to be so great and perfect according to the "Windows press agents release" I wonder if it is worth messing with it any longer. I don't mind doing a little tweaking here and there but this is just getting absurd. Windows 7 is looking so much better today.

17. 2016/03/24
    raylyncorvette

I guess another nights sleep won't matter much. I'll try the Clean Boot tomorrow evening. If that doesn't do it then I'm through with it.

18. 2016/03/24
    Bill

Remember, Bing Google is your friend.

What is EZ Flash Utility?

19. 2016/03/24
    raylyncorvette

Got it!

Another step in another direction. Is there ever going to be an end to this mystery?

20. 2016/03/25
    Bill

Sure. But then there will be two more right on its heels! ;)

21. 2016/03/25
    raylyncorvette

Well its late Friday night and I have everything ready to go for the first thing tomorrow morning. EZ Flash is loaded on a USB device...programs are being or have been removed...and I have a new hammer for assistance. One way or another you will have an answer as to what happens to this PC next. It's going to be operational with a working copy of Windows 10 with all of my programs or its going to back to Windows 7; and if for some reason that doesn't work due to something Windows has done to my backup this thing is gong to be in the refuse bin by tomorrow evening after a lot of damage. This is no joke. I have two other computers that I work with. One is my older MSI laptop with Windows 7 pro that still functions like new and of course my new ASUS ROG 752VY-DH78K that has everything I need to survive. So this PC is on death row as far as I am concerned. 18 months old and Windows 10 ******* it up and there are no answers to the real problem. Thanks to everyone who gave me some great tips but sadly none of them solved the problem.