1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Ethernet Splitter Question

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by James Martin, 2010/06/01.

1. 2010/06/17
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Shares are visible to any other computer on the local network. Thus if have shares and connect at a coffeee shop then others can see your shares and possibly access them.

By default, Windows uses Simple File Sharing and the Shared Documents folder (XP) and in Windows 7 the Public directories.

If you have shares then ALWAYS use passwords for them, else they are prone to use by others, even on your home desktop non-portable computers.

2. 2010/06/17
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member Thread Starter

I have been looking for a way to password protect my shared folders, but I can't find a way to do it yet.

Maybe XP Home doesn't support it?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/06/17
    James Martin

OK, after searching I found a way to password protect my shared folders in XP Home. I did this on both computers, and noticed that the shared documents folder disappeared from My Network Places, which is good.

Now when I try to view the other PC in my workgroup I have to enter a password to gain access.

Here is a link if someone else needs to review this procedure...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555471

Oddly enough, this is somehow involved with setting a password for the guest account.

5. 2010/06/17
    James Martin

I know that securing shared folders with a password will make for better security on a LAN, but what about a WAN (internet) on the other side of the modem?

Sorry so many questions, but networking is still new to me.

6. 2010/06/18
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

The guest account should not be used.

By default, XP has Simple File Sharing enabled. In XP Pro this can be disabled with a single click, in XP Home there's no option to disable it.

In XP Home there's no Security Tab in Folder Properties windows (except when boioted in Safe Mode). The Security section of Properties is where one can set permissions for folders and files.

To enable the Security Tab in XP Home:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

7. 2010/06/18
    James Martin

The guest account is off. I have no other accounts.

I take it I can go into safe mode and set permissions from there without using the downloaded fix? I went to safe mode and saw the security tab you mentioned, but I'm in a state of confusion as to what to do. Some of the accounts/groups listed in the security tab look unfamiliar to me.

8. 2010/06/21
    James Martin

So, I cannot disable file sharing in XP (even in the safe mode?), and I am at greater risk for internet hackers to break into my system unless I switch to XP Pro?

Sorry, I'm confused about simple file sharing. I want to share certain files, but yet I am supposed to *not* have file sharing enabled, if possible.

Pardon my ignorance, but it almost sounds like double talk to me. :)

I'll keep researching this topic as time permits.

9. 2010/06/21
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

You can safely share files and folders, just use passwords for the shares. But don't use the Guest account.