1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Error message windows 98; can't reboot

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by bbw, 2008/11/01.

1. 2008/11/09
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

I give up, I don't want to offend others on this forum.

Needless to say If I was in a keliegh I wouldn't need Bill's couch.:cool:

Time to call it a night it's 2AM here so 9PM there?

Bill keep us informed, I'll keep checking in, perhaps the GlenMorangie's kicking in here and I've work tomorrow :(

2. 2008/11/09
    bbw

bbw Inactive Thread Starter

I'll keep you posted my friends;I lost my internet connection totally and I can't get online to aol or the internet,so we shall be speaking. And the couch is clear and the beers are cold.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/11/10
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Missed my flight mate :)

Maybe next time.

BTW, you have mail

5. 2008/11/11
    bbw

Paddy: The dilemma continues;although windows 98 did reload successfully I have lost the ability to get onto the internet. I previously had used Inrenet Explorer to get to the internet but I now no longer see that program under control panel ADD/REMOVE programs section. Internet Explorer used to exist there, but it is now gone;the Internet Explorer icon still exists on my desktop but when I attempt to gain access to the internet via that it says:
    We were unable to connect;your TCP/IP connection may not be working properly.
    I cannot get onto the internet at all or access my America Online mail.
    Any ideas on how to restore my internet connection? The signal to the router is fine;I've checked with my service company and another computer in the household works fine. This problem was all consistent with me losing windows and the ability for windows to load. HELP????
    I'll await your response Paddy.

6. 2008/11/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Hi Bill,

Right click on my computer, select properties then device manager...

Is there anything listed with a ? or ! if so what are the details?

Also look at networking devices in that same window, you may have to click a + sign but list what is in there please.

7. 2008/11/11
    bbw

Hey Paddy;i went where you sent me and everything listed under computer there has a + sign in the margin except for network adapter which has a minus sign in the margin. Then under network adapters there is a yellow circle with a ! within it next to:
    Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet Adapter (10x100)
    I know that must be my Ethernet connection and I'm thinking that's the problem. Internet Explorer used to be under control panel and that now doesn't exist.
    OK now what buddy?

8. 2008/11/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Go here

Select on eof the free options (register or view ads) then download the ZIP file. Let me know when you've done this.

9. 2008/11/11
    bbw

Paddy am I downloading a new driver? I am on my sons computer and can't risk screwing anything up;where do i download it to? My sons computer has no floppy drive either. remember you're talking to a novice here. Without this download is there any other way to resurrect Internet Explorer? Can Internet Explorer be loaded from another disc or floppy?

10. 2008/11/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Yes

Anywhere you want, it's a driver but you won't be using it on that system. In it's zipped format there's no risk it will mess up your sons system.

A CD Writer maybe, is there anyway you can transfer data from your son's computer to your's?

Internet Explorer is not the immediate problem (and may not be a problem at all). We need to install those drivers to your system and take it from there.

11. 2008/11/11
    bbw

12. 2008/11/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

13. 2008/11/11
    bbw

14. 2008/11/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Your hard drive took a battering and things had to be sacrificed, (remember the mouse issues). I'm fairly sure their is more to come.

Bill, really you should be more concerned about backing up your hard drive than using it as a viable system at the moment. Since your son has a CD burner is he able/willing to transfer either your drive to his system or his CD Writer to yours?

Last edited: 2008/11/11