1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Error message windows 98; can't reboot

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by bbw, 2008/11/01.

1. 2008/11/09
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

You should be able to just close that error message. It is related to Real Player and should not affect basic operating system functionality.

My name is Dave (as shown in my signature ;) )

2. 2008/11/09
    bbw

bbw Inactive Thread Starter

Dave you got me real close;when i closed that first error message which you say I don't need, "PNCRT.DLL was not found" another error message appeared saying:
    "a required .DLL MSVCR71.DLL was not found." what does that error message mean and should it be addressed?
    and on the windows welcome screen do i have to register where it says register now? and where is says connect to the internet should that be done to setup my internet connection? no where along the way was i asked for that windows product key that we extricated. Fill in the remaining blanks;thanks.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/11/09
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Thanks noahdfear, my guests are now comfortably settled in for the night, unfortunately in the same room as my old wind up 98 system (anyone got a spare crankshaft :) ),

I'm looking in now but will leave it to you unless I have positive input or at the very least access to that monstrosity in my spare room :), Tomorrow 10AM/5AM Bill's time.

Bill, I know this is repairable so be patient. ;)

5. 2008/11/09
    bbw

Paddy you been great;send your email address to my email address:

Thanks for everything

6. 2008/11/09
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Bill, I edited your email address out to protect it from potential spam harvesting. Send it to Paddy via PM instead. ;)

For now, lets just see if we can get your files off the computer rather than trying to repair anything. Just close the error message, and don't attempt to register Windows.

With a broadband connection, it likely will not be necessay to run any sort of Internet connection setup. If the only means of transferring files is via a network, you will need to create and join a workgroup on both the ailing computer and your working computer. Personally, it might have been easier (and still might be) to slave the hard drive into your working PC and copy what you need to the good drive. Go ahead and try opening IE and see if you can connect.

7. 2008/11/09
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

No Problem Bill,

I sent you a PM with my address but I'll send an email later...

The MSVCR71.DLL error can also be ignored for the time being (though some of your programs may break until repaired). Nothing to worry about anyway.

8. 2008/11/09
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

I doubt your 98 machine will be necessary for much of anything else here wildfire, and I was just helping to fill in the gaps. Feel free to continue on with Bill while I observe from the sidelines. I have a 98 vm available should we need any specifics. ;)

9. 2008/11/09
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

No need, you're doing a lot better than I would now. As I said to rockster the command line is no stranger to me but GUI, yes if it's in my face no problem, ask me to talk people through it, I give up.

Please continue with your assistance, I've seen enough from your last couple of posts to understand you know what I was trying to do.

Once again my thanks.

10. 2008/11/09
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

My presence may be a bit sporadic for the next few hours, so while I may show online, I might not reply right away. Jump right in if you see a lapse .... we'll get Bill worked through this as a team. ;)

11. 2008/11/09
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

No problem, but the beer's mine OK ;)

12. 2008/11/09
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Well, I guess you did earn it. Just think of me while you enjoy. :p

13. 2008/11/09
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Will do :), best drop this and let Bill get a word in yes ;)

I wonder what he'd say if a scot knocks on his door asking for his beer's though :D

14. 2008/11/09
    bbw

so if i understand correctly i can bypass any window registration and everything else should be working now??this is amazing and i thank you both for your efforts. and if you get to LI,NY the beers are definitely yours..i'll let you know how i makeout when i try stuff.

15. 2008/11/09
    bbw

you sent me a PM with your address, but what's a PM;please clarify.

16. 2008/11/09
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Private message Bill, here's my temporary email address at = @ and remove the spaces.

Now Removed

send an email there and I'll confirm my true address.

Admin/Staff can you leave that address until bill confirms he has it or send him an email? It's of no consequence if the address remains. chuckawa = throw away and is only used when expected emails such as this.

EDIT Bill: Sorry I just read that back, what I meant was chuckawa is temporarily active then once I recieve your email the rest ie junk gets chucked awa. Hope you understand.

Last edited: 2008/11/10
  17. 2008/11/09
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

The addy cannot be harvested when obsfucated in that way. It will be left until you request it be removed. ;)

@Bill
    I doubt everything will be working as it should, and yes, you can skip registration (not required at any time). Your hard drive is failing. The purpose of this whole exercise was to make it bootable again to afford you a means of copying files you do not want to lose to another storage place. Do not think for a moment that you can just resume using it as before. Every moment you spend with it running is ticking away at the time you have to move your data, in risk of permanent failure at any time and thereby inaccessible. You need to get your data moved, as quickly as possible. If you need help in setting up a means to do that, let us know.

18. 2008/11/09
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

No you can't bypass, but your key's probably already inserted in those setup files, keep that written key to be certain though.

Please Let us know, I think there's more problems ahead, particulary backing up your data and OS files.

Bill, even if your system starts up in normal mode we're not finished yet (though a big improvement from the start). Please continue to post results and ask questions in this thread.

BTW, I'm checking flights now, I'll be knocking on your door around midnight :D

19. 2008/11/09
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Me thinks Paddy's thirsty Bill. Best get stocked up and clear a spot on the couch. :D

20. 2008/11/09
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Irish and Scottish blood, he disnae stand a chance ;)

A couch :mad:

Well if that's all you yanks can offer I suppose :(

Whit's arang wie a guid keliegh though :confused:

Sorry guys only having a joke it's been a long week :)

21. 2008/11/09
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Hehe . I said couch cuz I figured if he got stocked up well enough you wouldn't be gettin off it any time soon. LOL! By all means, clear the guest bed Bill! :D